Anyone Else Having Sprint GS III Radio Issues??

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That thread began on 5/23. Not close to the S3 launch. Those posters were complaining about the radio issues in the S2 and projecting those issues onto a device that wasn't even released yet. The "My S2 had a terrible radio so I know the S3 will as well." argument is specious and juvenile.

I understand it began on 5/23, look through the newer posts and other threads on the SGS3 forum and Youtube and you will find them. I definitely agree that its a stupid argument to compare the SGS2 to the SGS3, totally different phones. I think people were trying to draw a conclusions based on Samsung's past of s*h*i*t*t*y CDMA radios.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It is so sad that you guys are having these issues with your GS3..I am currently testing an ATT GS3 to make sure I can make it with a limit on data. The GS3 I have is absolutley flawless and both radios including WIFI are superior in relation to the GS2. I can only think that this isn't a Samsung problem but in fact a Sprint one. And many don't realize how much singal strength effects battery life..I can honeslty say that my GS3 on Att gets 12 hours with heavy use but I know with Sprints weak and degrading signal it won't come close to my ATT gs3

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Only had phone half day, but it is far superior to my epic on GPS, radio and WiFi... I have never seen a GPS locate so quick, and GPS test shows I'm pulling 12 sats vs my epics 3.... totally happy so far.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MustangSVO

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Several coworkers of mine have the GSIII, they also complain about poor signal, particularly GPS. I'm very skeptical about those saying they're not experiencing the same issues. These are the same issues I've had with my Epic 4G Touch.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

They may be talking about the GS2, but I would venture to say not the GS3.

Given my family's history with Samsung/GPS issues, that was the only thing I was truly worried about when I preordered the GS3. As it turns out, the GPS was the part of the GS3 that worked flawlessly. It locked quicker than my EVO, which is really saying something.

Now that the G3 is back in stores, I may take another shot at it on the chance I simply got a bad/weak one. I really did like GS3 and it killed me to return it.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
this is just my experience...when i first bought the epic (original slide out keyboard one) i had issues with signal...then same when i first bought the E4GT both had signal issues where i would constantly roam when on 3G (i use nothing but wifi in my house). then as time went on it got better and i started getting that roaming less and less. i've had my E4GT since the end of march and it only did it for about 2 weeks then it hasn't gone into roaming since...whether i'm on 3G or not. maybe its just luck for me i guess and since i've been in the same place for a while i doubt it they've put up more towers in my area. like i said thats just my experience with Samsung Galaxy phones...hoping the same with my S3 :)

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love this phone, as it really rocks. I am however having an issue with the poor radio signal strength versus other cell phones. It seems I am constantly roaming, but my wife's i-phone will have 3-4 bars right beside me. This is not good, as it seems that lately ALL Samsung radios suck, just as they did with the Epic 4g Touch (GS II) & they still have not fixed the problem. If it doesn't work better soon, Sprint can have all of thier new crap phones back & I'll jump ship, as I hear the Evo 4g LTE also has the same problem. All that $$ for a smartphone, that can't hardly even make a call LMAO! :'(

I'm a EVO LTE owner and do not have any radio issues nor do many that frequent this site. Sorry about your luck, but Samsung's are notorious for poor radios, you should have done some research prior to purchasing the SIII.

Reactions: Mercury81

zatoich1

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I just returned a GS III because the radio was very weak and I live in a marginal cell area. Also wifi was also weak and flaky - dropping signal periodically. I got an EVO LTE and am very happy with. Both cell and wifi are excellent, far superior to GSIII.

Ngmasterj

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Guys, for those of you with radio issues, update your PRL and profile. I did that after noticing I only had 1 to 2 bars in my apartment when I normally get 3-4 bars. After updating, I get a consistent 4-5 bars down and 2+mbps data where I live.

Reactions: jerseygirl

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Guys, for those of you with radio issues, update your PRL and profile. I did that after noticing I only had 1 to 2 bars in my apartment when I normally get 3-4 bars. After updating, I get a consistent 4-5 bars down and 2+mbps data where I live.

Dude that is some sweet data for Sprint 3G, lucky you! Lol.

I should be getting my GS3 tomorrow, so I will update you guys when I find out if the signal is better than my NS4G.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced some crazy stuff with my signal as well. I'll add a few screenshots as examples. Taken a minute apart from the exact same spot. So let's not say the EVO has no signal issues because there it is via one of the evos awesome features (screenshots).

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I just returned a GS III because the radio was very weak and I live in a marginal cell area. Also wifi was also weak and flaky - dropping signal periodically. I got an EVO LTE and am very happy with. Both cell and wifi are excellent, far superior to GSIII.

Welcome and you will not be disappointed with your EVO LTE experience. Facts have proven HTC's Radios are far more superior than Samsung's craptastic radios.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome and you will not be disappointed with your EVO LTE experience. Facts have proven HTC's Radios are far more superior than Samsung's craptastic radios.

I guess it matters where you live. My cell signal has been solid all day and my wifi as well while at home.

Edit:
633bdf21-5139-0aae.jpg
-screenshot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess it matters where you live. My cell signal has been solid all day and my wifi as well while at home.

Edit: Click to view quoted image
-screenshot

If you call those two bars in your screenshot solid, you should see what EVOLTE's are pulling down. Just cause it says 0% time with no signal is a false reading because that factors in roam time, but hey, to each its own.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you call those two bars in your screenshot solid, you should see what EVOLTE's are pulling down. But hey, to each its own.

At my house its a little low but never cuts out. I can do anything your phone can at the moment.. Call anyone text. So I don't really care. As I said it doesn't have issues.. Depends on your area. When I'm more in town near work I stay at a solid 5

:edit: I don't roam so no worries :)

carlos516x

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I dunno.. I think the folks that are posting in the S3 forums that the EVO LTE has superior radio's must be trolling. I had the EVO LTE and currently trying out the S3. I am actually surprised that the cell phone reception on the S3 is slightly better than the EVO LTE. For example, at my gym which is like an underground bunker, the EVO struggled to maintain signal and data connection. However, the S3 kept hanging on to the weak signal and I was able to send texts and surf the web. Nevertheless, I think the wifi on the EVO LTE is much stronger though.

Anyway, for pure cdma reception, I would think the EVO LTE and S3 are a wash... maybe the S3 a tad bit better.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm out in town now grabbing some food at Ale House :) as you can see its better.

To better explain why it was low earlier is due to our Jacksonville being so dang spread out I'm sorta in the "woods" as some would call it when I'm home and once in town more I'm good. :D

All in all either phone can hold a signal. But I wouldn't doubt it for a minute if your area has worse signal coverage that a better radio from the EVO LTE would help people. But it doesn't mean that the s3 can't hold a signal :)

Coorsleftfield

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Soon these phones will be on LTE and the 3g radio will be a non issue. Then it will be interesting to see how the LTE radio performance is between the evo and s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa