Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone Else Having Sprint GS III Radio Issues??

I absolutely love this phone, as it really rocks. I am however having an issue with the poor radio signal strength versus other cell phones. It seems I am constantly roaming, but my wife's i-phone will have 3-4 bars right beside me. This is not good, as it seems that lately ALL Samsung radios suck, just as they did with the Epic 4g Touch (GS II) & they still have not fixed the problem. If it doesn't work better soon, Sprint can have all of thier new crap phones back & I'll jump ship, as I hear the Evo 4g LTE also has the same problem. All that $$ for a smartphone, that can't hardly even make a call LMAO!

Default Re: Anyone Else Having Sprint GS III Radio Issues??

No issues here. Actually better than the signal I got on my SII.

Yes, I had exactly the same problem.

My family currently has a couple of iPhones and I'm coming from an og EVO, all of which don't have the signal strength issues my Galaxy S3 had. The S3 constantly roamed, and every time it did, there would be a nagging notification alerting me something was wrong. Sometimes it would come back to Sprint, but most of the time it would remain roaming. And to make matters, WIFI was incredibly bad as well. Forget about 802.11n, and 802.11g was half the strength of what it should have been.

To make a long story short, the very next day, I had to return the Galaxy S3 and go back to the og EVO. I'm now looking to try again with another phone....
    Retired Ambassador

My gs3 is working fine. But I've never had any problems with signal strength where I'm at. As a matter of fact the gs3 seems to have a better signal than my old nexus s4g.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by uberterrific View Post
    I absolutely love this phone, as it really rocks. I am however having an issue with the poor radio signal strength versus other cell phones. It seems I am constantly roaming, but my wife's i-phone will have 3-4 bars right beside me. This is not good, as it seems that lately ALL Samsung radios suck, just as they did with the Epic 4g Touch (GS II) & they still have not fixed the problem. If it doesn't work better soon, Sprint can have all of thier new crap phones back & I'll jump ship, as I hear the Evo 4g LTE also has the same problem. All that $$ for a smartphone, that can't hardly even make a call LMAO!
    The EVO LTE does NOT have these issues. I came from a Photon and the EVO's radios are almost as good. On the other had, my fiancee preordered an SGS3 and got it on launch day and its radios are far inferior to the EVO's, she already returned it. It is difficult to see the difference in radio quality unless you have a Photon or an EVO LTE next to it.

I am still within the return period of my EVO and really wanted to find a reason to exchange it for the SGS3 but found the EVO is superior in almost every way to the SGS3. This is my opinion, so please, no flaming.

My fiancee had a SGS2 previously and the only radio they improved on the SGS3 is GPS, WiFi and CDMA / 3G are still lacking.

Dont get me wrong, they are both badass phones, I just think the EVO LTE is a better phone.

Check this thread, Sprint Customers: Evo LTE or Samsung S3, people consistently complaining about the SGS3's radios.
    Last edited by lsutigers; 06-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

I had the EVO LTE and now have the SG3. I like the SG3 better myself.

My S3 is constantly losing data signal and going into roam half the time for data. Frequently it won't send text msgs and I have to retry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Makad View Post
    My S3 is constantly losing data signal and going into roam half the time for data. Frequently it won't send text msgs and I have to retry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    I am experiencing this as well.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Several coworkers of mine have the GSIII, they also complain about poor signal, particularly GPS. I'm very skeptical about those saying they're not experiencing the same issues. These are the same issues I've had with my Epic 4G Touch.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers View Post
    The EVO LTE does NOT have these issues. I came from a Photon and the EVO's radios are almost as good. On the other had, my fiancee preordered an SGS3 and got it on launch day and its radios are far inferior to the EVO's, she already returned it. It is difficult to see the difference in radio quality unless you have a Photon or an EVO LTE next to it.

I am still within the return period of my EVO and really wanted to find a reason to exchange it for the SGS3 but found the EVO is superior in almost every way to the SGS3. This is my opinion, so please, no flaming.

My fiancee had a SGS2 previously and the only radio they improved on the SGS3 is GPS, WiFi and CDMA / 3G are still lacking.

Dont get me wrong, they are both badass phones, I just think the EVO LTE is a better phone.

Check this thread, Sprint Customers: Evo LTE or Samsung S3, people consistently complaining about the SGS3's radios.

Actually, my evo lte radio isn't as good as my previous evo 4g. And not as good as other phones. Think the antenna got smaller or something, because I'm constantly roaming and not gettting good reception. When the signal is weak, forget about it. Very disappointed because it seems like a great phone. Thats why I came to this thread - to find out what people are saying about the sg3. Tried to return evo lte at best buy and the guy told me to wait for sg3 and exchange evo for sg3. I guess I'll try it, but I'm tired of not getting calls and having voicemail pop up 3 hours later.

Go into Settings, under Data Usage tap More Settings,then Mobile Networks to Network Mode and make sure CDMA is checked until LTE is available. Next hit back arrow to tap Roaming, then Roaming Network, then Sprint Only. This should prevent you from Roaming Mode. This should also help with the "Text Not Sent Issue" if you have at least 1 bar signal.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by oneAwake View Post
    Several coworkers of mine have the GSIII, they also complain about poor signal, particularly GPS. I'm very skeptical about those saying they're not experiencing the same issues. These are the same issues I've had with my Epic 4G Touch.

The gps on these phones are the best I've ever seen on any phone. It picks up the gps signal faster than even my garmin. Not only me but every reviewer has said the gps radio is on this phone is a real preformer. Hearing this makes me wonder if you might be trolling just a bit.

Tell me please what's wrong with this gps? It finds more satellites than there are bars in the graph. The dev will have to update this app to provide a graph to show all the satellites this phone finds.

Anyone Else Having Sprint GS III Radio Issues??-uploadfromtaptalk1341151745511.jpg

Me and my wife have/had the same issue. We came from the evo4g and it was never this bad. We get the gs3 and its like the sprints bottom fell out.

We did get an airave and the alleviated most of the problems but still. Roaming notifications and undelivered texts still plague us sometimes.

Personally i feel the gs3 only highlights if you live in a poor reception area. We live in one particular section that sprint techs know about. Hence the airave.

I'm still not down on the phone simply because in other areas of town its fine. Mostly at the house i have these problems .

I have had my S III since it came out and have had no problems with signal strength. It is actually a little better than my S II!! Have not used the GPS yet so can't say on that one and the wifi seems to do just fine. Hope those of you that are having issues get them fixed and don't have to turn the phone in!! ...LOVE this phone!!

Let me show you how skepticism works.
    I'm skeptical that several of your co workers have an S3 since it didn't launch until after your post this morning.
    Oh they all pre ordered? I'm skeptical of that also.
    Samsmalls likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers View Post

That thread began on 5/23. Not close to the S3 launch. Those posters were complaining about the radio issues in the S2 and projecting those issues onto a device that wasn't even released yet. The "My S2 had a terrible radio so I know the S3 will as well." argument is specious and juvenile.
    Thanked by:
    jerseygirl and ItsMeCD like this.

I returned the EVO 4g LTE for the S3 and though the HTC seemed to have a stronger radio, I wouldnt necessarily say the radio in the S3 is weak. Now I tried the Galaxy Nexus, that phone def has a weak radio. But so Far the radio in the S3 seems average.

No issues here, this thing is great!

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

I was worried about the s 3s radios too coming from a great performing pre minus. I was not disappointed with the s3. It gets the same coverage and on average, higher download speeds. Signal is also slightly better than my gfs s2.

Quote Originally Posted by stlevouser View Post
    Actually, my evo lte radio isn't as good as my previous evo 4g. And not as good as other phones. Think the antenna got smaller or something, because I'm constantly roaming and not gettting good reception. When the signal is weak, forget about it. Very disappointed because it seems like a great phone. Thats why I came to this thread - to find out what people are saying about the sg3. Tried to return evo lte at best buy and the guy told me to wait for sg3 and exchange evo for sg3. I guess I'll try it, but I'm tired of not getting calls and having voicemail pop up 3 hours later.
    Dude, thats not normal, have them swap your EVO out for another one, or try the SGS3. They are both great phones, but from my experience, the EVO's radios were much better than my fiancee's SGS3, almost as good as the Photons. The best thing to do is to look at signal strength under settings and not bars, every phone manufacturer measures and displays bars differently, it's all about the dBm's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    That thread began on 5/23. Not close to the S3 launch. Those posters were complaining about the radio issues in the S2 and projecting those issues onto a device that wasn't even released yet. The "My S2 had a terrible radio so I know the S3 will as well." argument is specious and juvenile.
    I understand it began on 5/23, look through the newer posts and other threads on the SGS3 forum and Youtube and you will find them. I definitely agree that its a stupid argument to compare the SGS2 to the SGS3, totally different phones. I think people were trying to draw a conclusions based on Samsung's past of s*h*i*t*t*y CDMA radios.

It is so sad that you guys are having these issues with your GS3..I am currently testing an ATT GS3 to make sure I can make it with a limit on data. The GS3 I have is absolutley flawless and both radios including WIFI are superior in relation to the GS2. I can only think that this isn't a Samsung problem but in fact a Sprint one. And many don't realize how much singal strength effects battery life..I can honeslty say that my GS3 on Att gets 12 hours with heavy use but I know with Sprints weak and degrading signal it won't come close to my ATT gs3

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Only had phone half day, but it is far superior to my epic on GPS, radio and WiFi... I have never seen a GPS locate so quick, and GPS test shows I'm pulling 12 sats vs my epics 3.... totally happy so far.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They may be talking about the GS2, but I would venture to say not the GS3.

Given my family's history with Samsung/GPS issues, that was the only thing I was truly worried about when I preordered the GS3. As it turns out, the GPS was the part of the GS3 that worked flawlessly. It locked quicker than my EVO, which is really saying something.

Now that the G3 is back in stores, I may take another shot at it on the chance I simply got a bad/weak one. I really did like GS3 and it killed me to return it.

Global Posts
    1,127 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

this is just my experience...when i first bought the epic (original slide out keyboard one) i had issues with signal...then same when i first bought the E4GT both had signal issues where i would constantly roam when on 3G (i use nothing but wifi in my house). then as time went on it got better and i started getting that roaming less and less. i've had my E4GT since the end of march and it only did it for about 2 weeks then it hasn't gone into roaming since...whether i'm on 3G or not. maybe its just luck for me i guess and since i've been in the same place for a while i doubt it they've put up more towers in my area. like i said thats just my experience with Samsung Galaxy phones...hoping the same with my S3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast