Removing Bloatware

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i was wondering what bloatware apps are safe to uninstall from the S3. I also noticed that there is no uninstall option only disable...is this the same thing? i'm not rooted btw. thanks in advance :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First in order to physically remove the bloatware you do need to be rooted.

Stock form you can only disable the apps in ICS.

As far as what apps are safe to remove. Seeing how there isn't a whole lot of bloat on the Sprint version your left with deciding if you want to remove apps you don't use. ?

Example, I don't use the stock Email application.. So whenever I root my device and install a custom ROM, first thing I do is remove Email.apk using ES File Explorer.

You can use ES File Explorer free from the Google Play Store. It works for both stock and rooted devices.

Also if your rooted and use apps like Titanium backup you can freeze/backup/restore & delete apps.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. What does disabling do to the apps? Which ones can I disable? Thanks again :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. What does disabling do to the apps? Which ones can I disable? Thanks again :)

I have titanium backup and in the past froze apps I didn't use but didn't really want to remove. The disable choice does the same thing as freezing them. I have noticed that when I disabled an app in the menu, those apps will show up in titanium backup as frozen.

Freezing an app keeps it from running and will not show up in your app drawer. It is a good way to test to see if the app is safe to remove. Freeze an app for a week and if you see it causes no issues, then it is probably safe to remove.

It is also beneficial if you want to receive OTA updates. If you remove a app that is required to get OTA's, you can unfreeze them before you choose to update.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How do you disable an application

System Settings/application manager / click on the app you want to disable and choose the disable option. I don't know for sure but some apps might not give you a choice. Then you may have to resort to titanium backup. Which will freeze any of the apps.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
How do you disable an application

Go to Settings>Apps>All>

Find the app you want and click on it... You should then have an option at the top of the individual app to DISABLE.

Note: Disable only works for system apps like Browser, Email, Calculator, etc... Otherwise if its an app you downloaded it will say Uninstall in place of Disable.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
First in order to physically remove the bloatware you do need to be rooted.

Stock form you can only disable the apps in ICS.

As far as what apps are safe to remove. Seeing how there isn't a whole lot of bloat on the Sprint version your left with deciding if you want to remove apps you don't use. ?

Example, I don't use the stock Email application.. So whenever I root my device and install a custom ROM, first thing I do is remove Email.apk using ES File Explorer.

You can use ES File Explorer free from the Google Play Store. It works for both stock and rooted devices.

Also if your rooted and use apps like Titanium backup you can freeze/backup/restore & delete apps.

Paul, I was going through my files with ES File Explorer and noticed that I couldn't access my ext sd files, only int storage space. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Any idea how? I'm currently using Sammys file explorer since I can access both easily with it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae