GSIII Screen Question

mrquaid

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Like many others I am on the fence between the GSIII and EVO LTE.

Biggest drawback for EVO - non-removable battery

Biggest drawback for GSIII - Screen

I did a head to head screen comparison in the store and on the GSIII there was a pretty strong blue tint. I had the screen brightness at 100%. I tested by bringing up websites with a white background. The whites definitely looked sky blue.
I have also read that in direct sunlight the screen was very difficult to see.

Any firsthand experience on either of these issues?

Thanks

Like many making this same decision, it is very possible I am over-thinking it!

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and now have the HTC One x, storage isn't as big a deal to me as having a screen I love to look at. Just my 2 cents but aren't there apps that help to adjust the blue? I know there was when I had the skyrocket . Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

carlos516x

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Another con for the S3 is the terrible brightness. It is plain bad compared to the ONE X/EVO LTE. It is way too dim to enjoy on a bright sunny day.

bhj83

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the EVO LTE and it had too many problems for me. The multi tasking on it is terrible. If you try to switch back and forth between 3 apps it will have to reload the app data. I never notice that with the 2GB of ram on the S3. Also, i was habing issues with my 3G dropping out frequently on the EVO and I haven't seen that on the S3. Personally I tend to prefer the S3 screen over the EVO. It just looks better to me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Uncle Louie

Vegasr

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the EVO LTE and it had too many problems for me. The multi tasking on it is terrible. If you try to switch back and forth between 3 apps it will have to reload the app data. I never notice that with the 2GB of ram on the S3. Also, i was habing issues with my 3G dropping out frequently on the EVO and I haven't seen that on the S3. Personally I tend to prefer the S3 screen over the EVO. It just looks better to me.

+1 especially on liking the screen better on my S3 compared to when I had the Evo LTE, which I do not miss.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I love my screen on my S3...
I will NEVER EVER buy a phone with non removable battery!!!

I like the EVO LTE but wont do the battery!

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Why? If you have a Razr Maxx having a non-removable battery is a non-issue. I am a heavy user and I get a day and a half on a charge. It has never frozen, but if it did you can do a simulated battery pull and accomplish the same as a battery pull. I have had over 20 Android phones and nothing compares to a Maxx especially since the ICS update. The batteries on everything else are a joke.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
+1 especially on liking the screen better on my S3 compared to when I had the Evo LTE, which I do not miss.

I like my S3 screen better than the EVO LTE that I had, too... The colors seem more vibrant to me for some reason. It's true that the auto brightness is defaulted kind of low; I have mine turned up to 3/4.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Evo LTE's screen is better....its not subjective...its a better quality display. I was disheartened by this as I was really looking for a beautiful option from Samsung this Gen...but what I got was a decent screen from 2011 which has a higher resolution...but is in some ways worse than the galaxy s2 screen.

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Reactions: Mercury81

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just from looking at both screens, I actually like both screens but in sunlight the evo is definitely better. However, I prefer the S3 in all other aspects: battery, ram, multi tasking, no bootloader, etc

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why people are so fixated on the battery.
"What if my phone locks up and I need to pull the battery to reboot?" Holding power button down for 10 seconds forces a hard reboot. If you're worried about battery life, carry a portable charger. Not much more bulk than carrying a spare battery and you can get more than one charge out of it, depending on the model.

The other EVO issues mentioned are software related and are easily fixed. You can't fix the Samsung craptastic radios or bluish screen with its over saturated cartoony colors.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
As a photographer, I can not stand the blueish tinted screen of the gs3. It's so unnatural and very bothering, especially coming from a screen that is very close to white on the Evo. Peoples faces are so red also and it bothers me.

It needs a color correction fix badly. The screen is the most looked at thing on the phone, so it is really important.

Samsung said they we're going for a nature theme, but they failed on the unnatural colors the screen produces.

I tried very hard to love the gs3, but can't do it.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Why? If you have a Razr Maxx having a non-removable battery is a non-issue. I am a heavy user and I get a day and a half on a charge. It has never frozen, but if it did you can do a simulated battery pull and accomplish the same as a battery pull. I have had over 20 Android phones and nothing compares to a Maxx especially since the ICS update. The batteries on everything else are a joke.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

My GS3 battery is just as good as my buddies Maxx. But from the threads the EVO LTE battery pretty much sucks, who would want a phone with a fixed battery that sucks? Besides, I have had nunerous HTC phones and usually after 12 months their batteries start getting short on charge performance and I ended up replacing them. That is why I passed on the EVO LTE.

I am very pleased with battery performance on my GS3.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone complaining about the blueish screen on the gs3 even own one? Or is it just that mine isn't like that? Unless I'm looking at my screen from a very hard side angle, there is no blue. My whites are actually very, very warm. Too warm actually.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone complaining about the blueish screen on the gs3 even own one? Or is it just that mine isn't like that? Unless I'm looking at my screen from a very hard side angle, there is no blue. My whites are actually very, very warm. Too warm actually.

I have no idea what they are seeing either; I have no "blueish screen" problem.

There seems to be a lot of "Well, I have the EVO LTE, and my friend has the the S3. I put them side-by-side, and the S3 sucks!"

I owned the EVO LTE, and the screen was awesome. No argument there. But my S3's screen looks fantastic in it's own right; as I said earlier, I actually like how my S3 handles colors better (personal preference).

Reactions: bp240

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Nope, don't own an S3, don't need to own one to make an observation.
Hold the two side by side. 100% brightness on both for an even comparison. Load up something that has a predominantly white background (Flipboard, web pages, whatever). There's no denying that the S3 displays a decidedly blue tint, and I'm not the only one that has made that observation. Whether or not you think it looks better is a matter of opinion.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1