Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pkrfctr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default turning off audible notifications during phone calls?

Ok there has to be a way to disable the audible notifications during a phone call. when I am on the phone I still get notifications for emails and text messages coming in. Anyone know how to turn this off?
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: turning off audible notifications during phone calls?

Settings / Sound / Notifications (Disable). I think these are be global settings but that will kill the ring as well

You may be able to still setup your mail and texts to LED notifications. So you still have some type of notifications. I think those setting should be in the mail and sms apps.

You could also try system settings / sounds / volume / turn notification volume all the way down. Doing this, the phone call my still pause even though the sound is off. Then again if all else fails, make a mp3 file without sound that is only a fraction of a second in length. At least then it would only be a very quick interruption.

I don't know of an easy answer at this point. Perhaps there's an app...
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 07-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

found it- push call button/ menu/ call settings/ call alert/ uncheck alerts on call.
    niteshadow12 likes this.

Thank u . This worked. Perfectly.

Do you mean press the call bitton to make an actual call? I dont see that option when I do.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my the greatest phone ever using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgirl01 View Post
    Do you mean press the call bitton to make an actual call? I dont see that option when I do.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my the greatest phone ever using Android Central Forums
    He's talking about going into the dialer. When you have the dialer open, hit the menu button, then go into call settings, etc.

Go to: Settings/Call/Call Alerts/Alerts on Call.

Alerts on Call description states: "Alarm and notification sounds will go off during call."

Worked perfect!!! Thanks!

I've found this setting, and turned it off, but I still have the problem. Occasionally, the text message notification will blast in my ear. (Before I turned off the setting, it happened only occasionally too - during a call, sometimes texts came in silently, sometimes loud and so it seems changing this setting has changed nothing for me.) Additionally, my notification sounds don't seem to respond to changes to the notification volume setting. I can turn every volume on my phone down (but not off), and phone calls will ring quietly, but notifications will be loud. Setting the volume to 0, means no sound, but I can't get quiet sound. Any ideas? Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrfctr View Post
    found it- push call button/ menu/ call settings/ call alert/ uncheck alerts on call.

I have the opposite problem. I have a Motorola Moto G with 4.4.2. Apparently the Moto G is not set up to allow audible notifications of texts while I'm on a phone call. I get the other kind of notification (icon on top left of home screen) but nothing audible, so unless I look at it regularly, I don't know I have them. I have tried Handcent to solve this, and it did, however it caused a glitch where I stopped receiving regular audible text notifications (when Im not on a call) and had to keep powering down and on several times a day to fix that, so I removed Handcent. Anyone know of another texting type app that will have a setting to receive audible notifications of texts while Im on a call? Thanks

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by fireballs10 View Post
    Anyone know of another texting type app that will have a setting to receive audible notifications of texts while Im on a call?
    You could try Hangouts http://market.android.com/details?id...e.android.talk

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the effort, however I have gone through literally every menu on the phone and can't find any setting for this. In this case, I have no "call alert" setting under the Phone settings menu.

Hangouts already comes with Android 4.4.2 (at least on mine). I tried it briefly, but received no texts while on a call. I'll try it again. Nothing to lose, thanks

I think I have your answer. Download the app 8SMS from playstore. It's free. It has a setting under Notifications for playing or not playing a sound during incoming texts. I wanted it to play a sound, which is why I downloaded it. I'll have to wait until I receive a text while on a call to see how well it works.

Posted my by mistake