Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S3 flakes out / fails with Windows 7 and other prob

fully UN-INSTALL the drivers by connecting your phone to your pc, go into device manager, select the phone in device manager, and remove it by right clicking it and doing uninstall. Via Control panel also verify you DO NOT SEE a Samsung USB driver entry, if you do, UN-install, then reboot your pc and download the drivers again from here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...r_v1_4_6_0.exe

re-install the drivers. take your cable that you state works every time, connect your phone to your pc, go into device manger and make sure you see SPH-L710, transfer data. disconnect, swap cables with the ones you state give you issues, connect, transfer data, if you still have issues with that cable you state gives you problems, then you just have bad luck and have a bad cable(s). that's not the phone's fault, just happens... All of us have had that, as USB cables can be flaky. Stick to one that works, give the other to your husband.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

First, again, I'd like to say thank you to those who have contributed suggestions in this thread -- I apologize if my frustration has seeped through here and there. I've now given over 24 hours of awake time to this problem, lost a whole day of my weekend to it, and I'm pretty over it. I am about to go out of town next week to care for a family member during chemotherapy. I do not need the stress of my phone not working on top of that. :/

r3ddawn, I followed your instructions. I got all excited when I saw this:

Notice the new line about ADB at the bottom? That's never been there before. I was hopeful it would work.

Well, again, it worked with hubby's Galaxy S II cable, but not with the new Galaxy S3 USB cable I received from the Sprint store. Keep in mind, we're now on the second cable, so it seems unlikely l'd get two flaky ones in a row.

Thank you for trying, but other than that additional ADB element, I'm still where I was before.

Well I'm sorry to hear about you and your mother and even though I've never heard of ulnar nerve damage till now (nerve that travels from the hand to the shoulder) I do recognize how important ergonomics is.

With that said I have traveled many forums in search of maybe an answer to your usb/driver problem but without success. All came back to the same suggestions you were offered here. While many women would kill to be petite I guess it's not all its crackled up to be, right?

Oh I was serious about the evo lte and it's version of multi tasking. I would suggest the local Sprint store or YouTube for reference material.

And I know about losing sleep to a tech device that is supposed to make your life simpler and instead robs you of any and all inner peace. And best wishes to the relative.

Sent from my GS3 which you can't have no matter how nice you ask
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by fullofsecrets View Post
    First, again, I'd like to say thank you to those who have contributed suggestions in this thread -- I apologize if my frustration has seeped through here and there. I've now given over 24 hours of awake time to this problem, lost a whole day of my weekend to it, and I'm pretty over it. I am about to go out of town next week to care for a family member during chemotherapy. I do not need the stress of my phone not working on top of that. :/

r3ddawn, I followed your instructions. I got all excited when I saw this:

Click to view quoted image

Notice the new line about ADB at the bottom? That's never been there before. I was hopeful it would work.

Well, again, it worked with hubby's Galaxy S II cable, but not with the new Galaxy S3 USB cable I received from the Sprint store. Keep in mind, we're now on the second cable, so it seems unlikely l'd get two flaky ones in a row.

Thank you for trying, but other than that additional ADB element, I'm still where I was before.
    YW.... you didn't have the drivers properly installed at first, as in one of the pictures you posted showed, which is why I recommended to fully uninstall and re-install... So you now know that part is fine. As to the cables, trust me from experience, it can be that you have 2 cables that simply are going to cause you problems. I can't get technical about it, but somehow, some reason, these usb cables are created cheap, and at times, cause issues. It's not the phone, not the connector on the phone since you have stated not have ANY issues with the working cable, so my advice, you found a good working cable, stick with that, and give the other to your husband, see if he has any issues with it, and if not, your set.

You could also move away from using the cables on your computer, to using a Wifi app to move your content. The S3 comes with one already built in, or you could use the popular Air Droid, which I think if you try, you'd probably like. It's easy to setup and you can transfer files back and forth with little to no issues... I personally don't ever use a usb cable to my pc unless moving a super large file. Other then that, using WIFI apps will suit you better IMHO... ;-)

Yeah, USB cables can be a pain. Right now, I'm dealing with my USB 3.0 hub cutting in and out shutting everything off then it comes right back on making it for a real bad experience.....and this is a samsung series 7 laptop!! lol

Besides, plugging in my GSIII in a USB 3.0 port does. not. work. It refuses. But as soon as I plug it in a USB 2.0 port, it works like a charm.

Wifi is the only way to go transferring small files. I swear by this.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Also, the screen fades when I go to my browser. I've tried adjusting the screen brightness; I've tried turning off the power saving option that fades the screen if there's an image on it ... no joy. As it turns out, after talking to a Sprint representative, this is a known issue that they are fixing in about two days.
    The screen fades because it has it's own brightness setting. Go into your browser settings and turn off auto brightness.

This is not a troll post, but the Samsung Galaxy S3 is making me miserable.

1. It's too big. My hand actually aches a bit after holding it for a while.
    2. The power button is in a crummy place. I keep pressing it accidentally (I am left-handed).
    3. They seem to have cheaped out on the screen. I don't know if supply was a problem or if the Powers That Be at Samsung were cutting costs, but a number of reviewers have enthused, "The high resolution means that Pentile isn't an issue!" Maybe my contact lenses make a difference, but to me, the granularity is noticeable, and the screen protector I have on it exacerbates it.
    4. The Flashlight widget is lame and sad. First, it's pretentiously dubbed "Assistive light," and then, the widget takes up unnecessary room. 2x2? Really, Samsung? You couldn't have just given us a 1x1 icon that looks like a flashlight and called it done? Yes, sure, I can download a Flashlight app, but I want one that's ad free and, frankly, I shouldn't have to do this because Samsung made a bizarre design choice.
    5. Messaging. I don't like the cutesy chat bubbles in the UI. I miss the clean, basic view in my original Evo.

But I could cope with all of the above. No, the real problem is that it won't stay connected to my PC via USB! That's a deal-breaker. What's the point of having 32 GB of space if I can't transfer data?

I was up until 5 am last night trying to get this to work, and no joy. I'm running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

I plugged the phone in, and first, it couldn't install the drivers. Fine, I downloaded them manually. After some trial and error and a reboot, it recognizes the phone when it's connected ... briefly. After a few seconds, the connection flakes out, and I can't transfer any files. Any files that were already in process give an error message that says: "Cannot copy (whatever file was being transferred). The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Stop copying/skip this file."

I don't think it's a bad USB cable: the phone charges fine, and I've noticed that it stops responding when the phone screen turns off after it's been connected initially and identifies the USB connection. It's like the driver isn't feeding the information to keep the connection active or something.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I hate that I've invested nearly $80 in cases/covers/screen protectors at this point, but even so, I am considering cutting my losses and trading it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Thoughts? Any help is truly welcomed.

Many thanks!

(This is the fourth cell phone I've had in my life. I've never had a problem like this until now. I loved my original Evo 4G.)
    FYI the Evo has adopted the cutesy bubbles in messaging also. Only difference being you don't have color options. Just white.

This is not a troll post, but the Samsung Galaxy S3 is making me miserable.

1. It's too big. My hand actually aches a bit after holding it for a while.
    2. The power button is in a crummy place. I keep pressing it accidentally (I am left-handed).
    3. They seem to have cheaped out on the screen. I don't know if supply was a problem or if the Powers That Be at Samsung were cutting costs, but a number of reviewers have enthused, "The high resolution means that Pentile isn't an issue!" Maybe my contact lenses make a difference, but to me, the granularity is noticeable, and the screen protector I have on it exacerbates it.
    4. The Flashlight widget is lame and sad. First, it's pretentiously dubbed "Assistive light," and then, the widget takes up unnecessary room. 2x2? Really, Samsung? You couldn't have just given us a 1x1 icon that looks like a flashlight and called it done? Yes, sure, I can download a Flashlight app, but I want one that's ad free and, frankly, I shouldn't have to do this because Samsung made a bizarre design choice.
    5. Messaging. I don't like the cutesy chat bubbles in the UI. I miss the clean, basic view in my original Evo.

But I could cope with all of the above. No, the real problem is that it won't stay connected to my PC via USB! That's a deal-breaker. What's the point of having 32 GB of space if I can't transfer data?

I was up until 5 am last night trying to get this to work, and no joy. I'm running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

I plugged the phone in, and first, it couldn't install the drivers. Fine, I downloaded them manually. After some trial and error and a reboot, it recognizes the phone when it's connected ... briefly. After a few seconds, the connection flakes out, and I can't transfer any files. Any files that were already in process give an error message that says: "Cannot copy (whatever file was being transferred). The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Stop copying/skip this file."

I don't think it's a bad USB cable: the phone charges fine, and I've noticed that it stops responding when the phone screen turns off after it's been connected initially and identifies the USB connection. It's like the driver isn't feeding the information to keep the connection active or something.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I hate that I've invested nearly $80 in cases/covers/screen protectors at this point, but even so, I am considering cutting my losses and trading it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Thoughts? Any help is truly welcomed.

Many thanks!

(This is the fourth cell phone I've had in my life. I've never had a problem like this until now. I loved my original Evo 4G.)
    By the way, the Evo is as tall as the S3. We have both in my house. Same physical specs. Side by side the S3 looks wider due to the slightly wider screen and white color. White makes items look larger. It looks taller due to the more rounded corners. But held back to back, they're the same height.
    You might wanna go to the Sprint store and spend some quality time with the Evo Lte. Make some comparisons. Ask the rep to let you hold devices that are not on display. They have working devices in the back room.

Everyone has their favorite device. Some vigorously defend them in these threads. Most of the time it's spirited fun for the folks whose self worth is NOT predicated on the value of their mobile devices. But those types post too.
    You have to make sure you find the device that's YOUR type and fits your lifestyle and criteria. It should be a fun process. Remember, you're not adopting a new born baby, so relax and have fun with it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by jacker View Post
    And I know about losing sleep to a tech device that is supposed to make your life simpler and instead robs you of any and all inner peace. And best wishes to the relative.
    Thank you so much for the kind words. I really mean that -- I am grateful for the understanding, and it's surprising how much difference a soft word from a stranger can make. Thanks sincerely, Jacker.

For those reading, I know everyone has problems, and I'm surely not trying to overshare on an Android forum ... it just seems wrong somehow in the grand scheme of things that I should be expending all this energy right now trying to solve a technical problem when I need to be giving that energy to supporting my mom, who has a tough time ahead of her. Such is life, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ddawn View Post
    As to the cables, trust me from experience, it can be that you have 2 cables that simply are going to cause you problems. I can't get technical about it, but somehow, some reason, these usb cables are created cheap, and at times, cause issues.
    I'm beginning to think it really isn't the cables. I tried it with a different USB cable, one I know to be reliable with multiple devices, and it didn't work. Additionally, I tried connecting the phone to my Windows XP laptop: totally fresh install, fresh cable, etc. It didn't work. It could possibly be something with the MTP drivers, given an issue that international Samsung users have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ddawn View Post
    You could also move away from using the cables on your computer, to using a Wifi app to move your content. The S3 comes with one already built in, or you could use the popular Air Droid, which I think if you try, you'd probably like. It's easy to setup and you can transfer files back and forth with little to no issues... I personally don't ever use a usb cable to my pc unless moving a super large file. Other then that, using WIFI apps will suit you better IMHO... ;-)
    Unfortunately, when I go to take care of my mother in two weeks, I will not have proper wifi access. I'll be very dependent on transferring data via cable, so I need it to work. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Besides, plugging in my GSIII in a USB 3.0 port does. not. work. It refuses. But as soon as I plug it in a USB 2.0 port, it works like a charm.

Wifi is the only way to go transferring small files. I swear by this.
    That's interesting about the 3.0 port, but I just had failures with a 2.0 port, too, so ... I'm not sure. I hear you about the wifi, but unfortunately I will be in a place without wifi in about two weeks, caring for my mother for the next few months, so I really need that cable working.

Quote Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
    The screen fades because it has it's own brightness setting. Go into your browser settings and turn off auto brightness.
    Can you tell me how to do this in the default browser on the Galaxy S3? Because in the store yesterday, neither I nor the Sprint representative could find such a setting.

When I launch the app and press the capacitive button that launches the menu, it displays the following options:

Forward
    New window
    Add bookmark
    Add shortcut to home
    Share page
    Find on page
    Desktop view
    Save for offline reading.

No "Settings" option there, as you can see.

If I select the Bookmarks option at the top right of the default browser and press the capacitive button for the menu, it displays the following options:

Thumbnail view
    Create folder
    Change order
    Move to folder
    Delete

If I press the button at the top right of the default browser that displays multiple browser windows, the only option I get when I press the Menu capacitive button is Close All.

I've also been in the Settings under Application manager, and examined the browser there, but only have options to Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force stop, or Disable.

So, I'd be delighted to do as you recommend, but after digging, I clearly can't find it on my own. Neither could the Sprint rep (who told me it was a known issue that was going to be fixed in a few days). Can you advise me on how to find this function?

Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    FYI the Evo has adopted the cutesy bubbles in messaging also. Only difference being you don't have color options. Just white.
    Yeah, I noticed that when I checked it out yesterday. :/

By the way, the Evo is as tall as the S3. We have both in my house. Same physical specs. Side by side the S3 looks wider due to the slightly wider screen and white color. White makes items look larger. It looks taller due to the more rounded corners. But held back to back, they're the same height.
    You might wanna go to the Sprint store and spend some quality time with the Evo Lte. Make some comparisons. Ask the rep to let you hold devices that are not on display. They have working devices in the back room.
    I held my Samsung over the Evo yesterday, and saw that they were the same height. The S3 is marginally wider, but it's less than a millimeter, so no big difference in comfort there, I don't think. The main physical improvement would be the button placement with my accursed left-handedness.

What I'd really like to do is bring the Evo home and see if it'd connect successfully to my PC via cable, but of course they're not going to let me do that! I wish I knew someone who owned one, but I'm the most techie of my friends ... I'm the one to whom others turn to fix their PC problems, generally. I worked in computer tech support for three years. That's part of why I'm so frustrated with this issue ... I feel like I've done all this troubleshooting and like I ought to be smart enough to solve it. But if it's dirty Samsung drivers, there's nothing I can do about that. :/

You have to make sure you find the device that's YOUR type and fits your lifestyle and criteria. It should be a fun process. Remember, you're not adopting a new born baby, so relax and have fun with it.
    This is one of the happiest things I've read in this whole thread. Thanks, Nreeldeep -- you make a good point. Wise perspective, and I agree with you. I know it isn't a baby, or brain surgery ... it's just sort of sapping my energy right now when I really need to be focusing it on preparing to care for my mom, but I need my phone to work. That little 3G connection via my phone is my lifeline in a broadband-poor area.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really mean that -- I am grateful for the understanding, and it's surprising how much difference a soft word from a stranger can make. Thanks sincerely, Jacker.

For those reading, I know everyone has problems, and I'm surely not trying to overshare on an Android forum ... it just seems wrong somehow in the grand scheme of things that I should be expending all this energy right now trying to solve a technical problem when I need to be giving that energy to supporting my mom, who has a tough time ahead of her. Such is life, I suppose.

I'm beginning to think it really isn't the cables. I tried it with a different USB cable, one I know to be reliable with multiple devices, and it didn't work. Additionally, I tried connecting the phone to my Windows XP laptop: totally fresh install, fresh cable, etc. It didn't work. It could possibly be something with the MTP drivers, given an issue that international Samsung users have seen.

Unfortunately, when I go to take care of my mother in two weeks, I will not have proper wifi access. I'll be very dependent on transferring data via cable, so I need it to work. :/

That's interesting about the 3.0 port, but I just had failures with a 2.0 port, too, so ... I'm not sure. I hear you about the wifi, but unfortunately I will be in a place without wifi in about two weeks, caring for my mother for the next few months, so I really need that cable working.

Can you tell me how to do this in the default browser on the Galaxy S3? Because in the store yesterday, neither I nor the Sprint representative could find such a setting.

When I launch the app and press the capacitive button that launches the menu, it displays the following options:

Forward
    New window
    Add bookmark
    Add shortcut to home
    Share page
    Find on page
    Desktop view
    Save for offline reading.

No "Settings" option there, as you can see.

If I select the Bookmarks option at the top right of the default browser and press the capacitive button for the menu, it displays the following options:

Thumbnail view
    Create folder
    Change order
    Move to folder
    Delete

If I press the button at the top right of the default browser that displays multiple browser windows, the only option I get when I press the Menu capacitive button is Close All.

I've also been in the Settings under Application manager, and examined the browser there, but only have options to Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force stop, or Disable.

So, I'd be delighted to do as you recommend, but after digging, I clearly can't find it on my own. Neither could the Sprint rep (who told me it was a known issue that was going to be fixed in a few days). Can you advise me on how to find this function?

Yeah, I noticed that when I checked it out yesterday. :/

I held my Samsung over the Evo yesterday, and saw that they were the same height. The S3 is marginally wider, but it's less than a millimeter, so no big difference in comfort there, I don't think. The main physical improvement would be the button placement with my accursed left-handedness.

What I'd really like to do is bring the Evo home and see if it'd connect successfully to my PC via cable, but of course they're not going to let me do that! I wish I knew someone who owned one, but I'm the most techie of my friends ... I'm the one to whom others turn to fix their PC problems, generally. I worked in computer tech support for three years. That's part of why I'm so frustrated with this issue ... I feel like I've done all this troubleshooting and like I ought to be smart enough to solve it. But if it's dirty Samsung drivers, there's nothing I can do about that. :/

This is one of the happiest things I've read in this whole thread. Thanks, Nreeldeep -- you make a good point. Wise perspective, and I agree with you. I know it isn't a baby, or brain surgery ... it's just sort of sapping my energy right now when I really need to be focusing it on preparing to care for my mom, but I need my phone to work. That little 3G connection via my phone is my lifeline in a broadband-poor area.
    Absolutely its an important investment. Just don't beat yourself up over it. Buy the Evo. Keep the receipt safely tucked away and take it home for tests with your PC.
    Remember, your mom needs your best self. So get the right mobile for you then go give her the best that you got.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

So, I went to Sprint on Sunday, July 15th, and demonstrated the problems we were having. A clean driver install resolved the issues on an XP laptop, so I said I'd go home and try another clean driver install. In addition, the Sprint tech suggested installing Kies, not so much for transferring files, but for the drivers.

I did all of the above, and still no joy, so I returned to my local Sprint store on Monday.

They were completely awesome (everyone was really very kind), restocked the Samsung at no charge, and I traded it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE which, I am tremendously relieved to say, has given me no problems at all. Drivers installed fine first try on both XP and Windows 7 Home Premium.

It was a difficult choice because I hate admitting defeat due to a technical issue ... usually, with patience and determination, I'm able to resolve those ... but it was the right decision. I'm much happier overall.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help troubleshoot this!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

No idea how I double-posted, but again, my apologies.

The browser and video apps have their own brightness settings.

Edit: bah, never mind. This page of comments wasn't opening for some reason....
    Retired Ambassador

So, I went to Sprint on Sunday, July 15th, and demonstrated the problems we were having. A clean driver install resolved the issues on an XP laptop, so I said I'd go home and try another clean driver install. In addition, the Sprint tech suggested installing Kies, not so much for transferring files, but for the drivers.

I did all of the above, and still no joy, so I returned to my local Sprint store on Monday.

They were completely awesome (everyone was really very kind), restocked the Samsung at no charge, and I traded it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE which, I am tremendously relieved to say, has given me no problems at all. Drivers installed fine first try on both XP and Windows 7 Home Premium.

It was a difficult choice because I hate admitting defeat due to a technical issue ... usually, with patience and determination, I'm able to resolve those ... but it was the right decision. I'm much happier overall.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help troubleshoot this!
    You double posted because it was done with an evo.

Good luck with your phone.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    You double posted because it was done with an evo.

Good luck with your phone.

Ha! I'd like to blame the phone, but since I made that post from my ginormous desktop computer, I think I'm the one at fault.

Thank you kindly for the good wishes! I got a SanDisk card yesterday, popped it in, and, so far, everything has worked like a charm. I've even received two compliments on my phone!

Default Re: Galaxy S3 flakes out / fails with Windows 7 and other problems

matter in fact, just switch the usb ports, cause i went from using a USB hub to just the built in USB ports for my laptop (windows 7 pro 64xbit)

and im pretty happy with my S3
    Super-elite full-time dad

ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

I have every scenario you named, I wear contacts, Windows 7 64, problems with usb, screen protector, but I don't have the dislike. I solved my usb problems by reinstalling 1.4.6.0 drivers and when I connect the phone to pc, I temp disconnect the internet to keep Windows from trying to force install new drivers. Other than that, the rest you named I can't find problem with. Had my galaxy since July 19. Wife got hers on September 6. Both happy and she got the jb update today. I'm rooted and custom ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I tried doing this already and its not working for my galaxy s3 ... The phone itself is soft bricked and its stuck at the samsung galaxy s3 screen its for sprint.... I dont know what to do anymore I tried several things, I tried reinstalling the drivers and all but that doesnt seem to work. Still no luck with reading the usb device, not even in download mode it will read it. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S THE CABLE!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000 model) and I could not transfer files with Win7 64, but COULD transfer with an older Win-XP machine (in PTP mode). Tried a different cable which solved the problem instantly. Now transfer working great (in default 'connected as media device' MTP mode).

When not working, I could see the phone's folders (in either PTP or MTP mode, also in USB connect mode, with USB debugging enabled or disabled) but I could not transfer files, I'd get a timeout and windows error message. Tried installing Kies thinking driver issues - no different (Kies couldn't connect).

More than one cable gave me problems - these were the cheap ones in various colors from Ebay. The one that's working also a generic cable from Ebay it's black and a little beefier looking than the ones that gave me trouble - they're going in the trash! It was also cheap - 99c free shipping USA seller in San Antonio TX (so you don't necessarily need the OEM Samsung cable).

With the good cable, I did NOT need to install any drivers or use Kies - the standard Microsoft windows drivers worked fine for simple file transfer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12