Wifi hotspot

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to put a wifi free wifi hotspot on this phone without rooting?

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Its notbworking I turn on the hotspot and the wifi does not show up on my tablet (or anything!)

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums

CorruptionDee

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered rooting your device. It's very quick and easy. Not only that, but you'll get to use Wi-Fi tether. It's the best app. Look up QBKing77. He's on YouTube and has the best instructions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

aznberry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Go to the app market and click on Foxfi add-on.
There's a link on the description. Click on it and download.

Just did it and it works! Been searching for since I had my Evo 4G

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
FoxFi doesn't work on the **SPRINT** Samsung Galaxy S3, as the files used aren't able to be accessed on unrooted phones. I contacted them and that's what they told me.

dvs1j#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi wont work on Sprint devices as Sprint figured out how to block access to the app. Foxfi is working on a fix to go around device security without rooting. Until then its root or pay. I for one refuse to pay for more already. Im looking into rooting my GS3. Sicknof nickle and dime

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why Sprint customers would feel that they should have access to use the phone as a hotspot without paying extra. It always seemed obvious to me that Verizon and AT&T were taking advantage of their customers once the limited data plans came out. It should not have mattered whether the customer used the 2 GB of data via the phone or via tethering. Sprint is however offering an unlimited data plan for use on the phone, but that plan specifically doesn't include hotspot access.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Most areas don't have 4G yet, so using the SGS3 as a hotspot gives you the glorious 3G as a repeater/hotspot. I, for one, have USED portable hotspot on my Optimus S when it was rooted, back when my daughter was in NICU at a big hospital, and the WIFI they gave patients access to was SO SLOW...I used my phone to surf the web instead of using the hospital's wifi..

Now, with that experience, I have to ask..who in the hell would want to really "STAY" on 3G when it sucks at speed like it does? It's not like we're going from 6meg DSL to 45meg fiber connections...the repeated signal of my optimus was sloppy with horrible ping times...
And the biggest factor....I'm already paying for data once. WHY pay for the same thing twice?

I guess I'd see it differently if I used hotspot as my primary means of surfing the net..but I have 6meg DSL at home and that's my connection. Plus I have an Airave (2nd generation, NOT the Samsung version) which DOES do 3G...

Now here's another thing I've wondered. I'm paying for my DSL connection. It's MY DSL. Sprint's Airave connects to that DSL to give me service via my Airave..but uses GPS and broadcasts a signal to my phones.. Since I had a problem with my service not working, Sprint waived the charge, monthly, for using the Airave...but other people sometimes get charged for using the airave monthly (like $4.99)...

They pay for their DSL connection, then they have to pay for the data and minutes that the SAME DSL connection provides and in-turn also powers the signal to their phone...so they are being charged by the DSL company to have internet, then being charged by Sprint to re-use that same internet (DSL) connection as data/voice on the box Sprint provides.

I guess I look at things a bit on the literal side..but I'm already paying for data on my cell phone bill once...just because I want that data to be used in another way...I'm still using the same amount (whether I'm using my phone to surf or my laptop to surf..or my tablet to surf.)....why does Sprint/Vzw/ATT/Tmo need to make additional money because you choose to use the data you've already bought in a different manner. They aren't charging you for using it as a hotspot, they are charging you for HOW you use that data (or with what devices I should say).

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why Sprint customers would feel that they should have access to use the phone as a hotspot without paying extra. It always seemed obvious to me that Verizon and AT&T were taking advantage of their customers once the limited data plans came out. It should not have mattered whether the customer used the 2 GB of data via the phone or via tethering. Sprint is however offering an unlimited data plan for use on the phone, but that plan specifically doesn't include hotspot access.

Yep, and these same people who do this will scream bloody he'll when Sprint is forced to get rid of unlimited data.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep, and these same people who do this will scream bloody he'll when Sprint is forced to get rid of unlimited data.

You say that like those people are guilty of doing something wrong. What's the difference in this and taking a home broadband that's assigned ONE ip address and connecting a router then broadcasting your connection for YOUR other devices to connect to? People should have to have one broadband line per device, phone, tablet, laptop, game console, etc? I mean, I'm only paying for one modern, but using another device to connect many devices to it, so essentially the same difference.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza