How do you connect to 4g?

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Is all you do select LTE/CDMA in the settings menu and allow the phone to connect automatically or do you also need to select 4G like on my old HTC Evo? The Sprint map says I am in an LTE area here in Houston but I've only been able to get 3g today, unless 4g hasn't been completely activated yet?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is tap 4G in the notification bar and it's activated.

You might be in an area for LTE but give it time. Maybe they had/have a problem with a few towers/software and they have to fix it.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There's not a toggle button anywhere. He has an S2 so he figures the S3 has the same thing available. The first Galaxy S had that 4G toggle button in the notification bar but for some reason, it's been omitted in the S3.

The only way is through the menu screen. I've done that myself in hope of the LTE being live already but unfortunately it appears it hasn't yet. I made a thread so excited...thinking it was up because the speeds were right in line with what everyone anticipated...in the 10-14Mbps down/2 up....post up speed results and everything right....then someone tell me, ummm...that's wifi bro. LOL!!! Wanted to do an ostrich move and bury my face. SMH!!

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing using or even turning on the LTE option drains the battery faster?
I mean,why else would there be an option to turn it on?
Why not just turn it on, even if you don't have LTE?
Phone still works if LTE is switched on, and not in an LTE area.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Why not just turn it on, even if you don't have LTE?
Phone still works if LTE is switched on, and not in an LTE area.

I believe it does. Don't have a source to back my hunch but gotta think that since the LTE antenna is on, albeit not displaying in notification bar due to no signal, it is running in the background and will only display when it's received an actual signal. Ultimately, the end result is the battery suffering because of it. I think your guess is right.

This was true even with previous iterations of supposed "4G" in WiMax. Toggling 4G on/off with batter consumption in mind. Don't see why it would be any different with LTE.

Aaron Greenhill

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

If Sprint's 4G LTE is anything like their 4G, then they need the option to turn it off so that you can have a consistent connection when you require one. Here in Houston Sprint 3G is better than Sprint 4G because selecting 4G means your phone will just toggle back and forth between 3G and 4G - destroying the sessions / connections constantly. For example - Rhapsody will automatically mark all pending downloads as failed every time your phone switches between 3G / 4G.

Sprint is useless in Houston unless you want to pay a lot of money for a two year contract with a brick.

Aaron Greenhill

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Is all you do select LTE/CDMA in the settings menu and allow the phone to connect automatically or do you also need to select 4G like on my old HTC Evo? The Sprint map says I am in an LTE area here in Houston but I've only been able to get 3g today, unless 4g hasn't been completely activated yet?

New plan with Sprint in Houston!? I'm sorry for your loss.

Please do write back if you ever found any high speed mobile internet in Houston with Sprint. I'm curious if their 4G LTE is less useless than their plain 4G (which is almost non-existent).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
New plan with Sprint in Houston!? I'm sorry for your loss.

Please do write back if you ever found any high speed mobile internet in Houston with Sprint. I'm curious if their 4G LTE is less useless than their plain 4G (which is almost non-existent).

If you get LTE from Sprint it ain't so bad. It's usually 10+. Below is a test from Florida.. I took in an area that has it here :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357748230098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357748230098.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 56

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If Sprint's 4G LTE is anything like their 4G, then they need the option to turn it off so that you can have a consistent connection when you require one. Here in Houston Sprint 3G is better than Sprint 4G because selecting 4G means your phone will just toggle back and forth between 3G and 4G - destroying the sessions / connections constantly. For example - Rhapsody will automatically mark all pending downloads as failed every time your phone switches between 3G / 4G.

Sprint is useless in Houston unless you want to pay a lot of money for a two year contract with a brick.

Are you talking about 4g wimax? I could understand that then.. Wimax is pretty much non existent. 4g LTE is another type of 4g.

I'd assume you mean the old 4g wimax since you are talking about toggling it which you can do on the wimax phones.. The LTE phones you can toggle it on and off but need to reboot if you did that. But if you wanted you could make it stick to 3g.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

dames117

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I believe it does. Don't have a source to back my hunch but gotta think that since the LTE antenna is on, albeit not displaying in notification bar due to no signal, it is running in the background and will only display when it's received an actual signal. Ultimately, the end result is the battery suffering because of it. I think your guess is right.

This was true even with previous iterations of supposed "4G" in WiMax. Toggling 4G on/off with batter consumption in mind. Don't see why it would be any different with LTE.

I don't believe the 4G LTE antenna is always on and searching for a signal. If the CDMA/LTE mode is selected, and you are connected to a 3G network, the antenna turns on at some interval specified by whatever to check for a 4G signal. If you don't want to use the 4G network, just select CDMA in the options. Also, the phone stores the towers to which it connected with a 4G LTE signal so it "knows" which towers have the service available.