Samsung Galaxy s3 headphones not working (Volume Control buttons)

rjenkin41

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this issue has been brought up yet; however, the headphones that we receive with the Samsung Galaxy s3 has buttons (volume controls) on the wire of the headphones. But, these volume control buttons are not working for me.

I'm just looking to see if I have defective earphones, or it has to do with the settings on the phone. I'm using the Google Music application by the way.

Thanks for your help

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I know this sounds silly, but the headphones are probably not plugged in all the way. Push in the jack till you hear the click. Same thing happened to me; audio sounded fine, but the remote buttons didn't work and then I realized the headphones weren't all the way plugged in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

rjenkin41

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Haha that did it. I made sure to check that the first time around, but it seems I still didn't have them in the whole way. Thanks a lot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jkwon52

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 headphones not working (Volume Control butt

Mine are in all the way but they still don't work. Was working before and suddenly stopped working today. How can I fix this ? Do I take it to a Verizon store? Will then give me replacements or do I have to go through Samsung ?

naes

May 31, 2011
Visit site

ahhaa happens to me all the time with volume control headphones..

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Mine just broke. Not very good quality I guess. They still play the music, but I can't control anything with the buttons anymore They worked fine two days ago, but now won't do anything. And yes, plugged in tight.

abinning

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I had the same problem. Then I rebooted my phone. I never have to restart this thing it is so darn stable.
After a reboot the controls on the wired headset worked fine again.

jsmith18a

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I have found that I need to plug in the headphones first before launching Google Music.
Weird but it seems to work consistently that way.

zukaa12

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am also facing same problem. I am using stock ROM, tried all different settings. different headphones, earphones, they all work in my old phone or laptop but not with S3. I think galaxy S3 have defective headphone jack. When I tilt back headphone to right side then it works. But then I have to hold it very tight, otherwise left side works. I am going to take to AT&T service center. I just bought this phone 1 month ago and its already gone bad.

muraret

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use my new S3 to play music via the headphones while exercising on a crosstrainer. After about 40 minutes or so of continuous playing the volume suddenly mutes by itself or goes to full volume all without my intervention. I was given a new set of headphones by the store (Fairbuy). They worked properly for a week and then the problem has recurred. It seems to be related to the voice controls because when it mutes sometimes I hear "Didn't catch that" via the headphones as if the phone is muting for me to enter a command. Anyone else encuntered this or knows of a solution?

mojomarie

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
YES!!!!!

I'm a long distance runner and after about the same amount of time, volume control goes up and down on it's own and sometimes completely mutes itself without me ever touching anything!!! WHAT IS THAT?? I returned one already because of this and now the second is doing the same thing!! This is infuriating!

Feroz Foondunovic

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem. It just started a couple of days ago.. and i had the phone for more than 6 months.. first time it has happened.. when i plug my earphones, the sound goes up and down and mutes by itself and plays and pauses the songs by itself. Does anyone has an answer how to fix this problem. i see many of you have the same problem as i do and still no answers :((((

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I use my new S3 to play music via the headphones while exercising on a crosstrainer. After about 40 minutes or so of continuous playing the volume suddenly mutes by itself or goes to full volume all without my intervention. I was given a new set of headphones by the store (Fairbuy). They worked properly for a week and then the problem has recurred. It seems to be related to the voice controls because when it mutes sometimes I hear "Didn't catch that" via the headphones as if the phone is muting for me to enter a command. Anyone else encuntered this or knows of a solution?

Do you need the mic function when you're exercising? If not, you could try taping a little bit of foam over the mic input on the cord, and see if that stops it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781