Music questions

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you get the music app to stay on the screen the entire time it's playing. I use this when I drive and it keeps shutting off.

Is there a car dock feature?

Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
How do you get the music app to stay on the screen the entire time it's playing. I use this when I drive and it keeps shutting off.

Is there a car dock feature?

Thanks.

Not sure why you would want the screen to stay on while listening to music and driving? I would think it would be a distraction. Let us know what are you trying to accomplish by having it on all the time and maybe someone can come up with a solution.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes wish there was a quick toggle to lock the screen on. especially when smart stay is pissing me off. But if you think about it, this would likely end up biting you in the butt should you forget to turn it off and come back to find a drained battery. Now THAT would be worse than having to hit power or home button to view current song.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I think draining the battery after forgetting to re engage screen timeout outweighs this problem. Probably why it's not an option. Not to say I also haven't wanted to lock screen on occasionally, but I know it's for my own good.

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I want the screen to stay on so I could change songs. How else could I get to the next song without using the screen. I'm open for options.

Thanks

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You can change timeout to 10 minutes. That's 10 minutes since last touch, so depending how often you change songs, it might help you. Seriously though, having screen locked on while charging and playing music, and then forgetting about it sounds like a battery's worst nightmare :)

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How is it a battery problem if I keep it charging while playing? Will the phone not charge this way?

I had my evo for work years and did this daily and never forgot.

Car tunes app keeps the screen on and I will use that. I was hoping to use the stock app but we'll see what else people say.

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm with the OP on this. On the OG EVO you could go into dev options and set it to keep screen on while charging/plugged into USB (regardless of application). Like the OP I like to have the screen on in the car (while plugged into my SUV). The a/c vent is right behind the phone so it wouldn't over heat. When playing the Samsung Music App, I too would like to have the screen on (even dimmed) so I can change either Pandora Stations or songs in the native app. I haven't found a solution within any of the options and just might do the "screen on 10 minutes" approach when in the car, perhaps using tech tiles or something. I hope there is a less "out of the box" solution for something so easy and available on a much older phone (HTC EVO).

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm with the OP on this. On the OG EVO you could go into dev options and set it to keep screen on while charging/plugged into USB (regardless of application). Like the OP I like to have the screen on in the car (while plugged into my SUV). The a/c vent is right behind the phone so it wouldn't over heat. When playing the Samsung Music App, I too would like to have the screen on (even dimmed) so I can change either Pandora Stations or songs in the native app. I haven't found a solution within any of the options and just might do the "screen on 10 minutes" approach when in the car, perhaps using tech tiles or something. I hope there is a less "out of the box" solution for something so easy and available on a much older phone (HTC EVO).

I found a work around. Download No screen off in the play store. It is a 1x1 widget that will keep the screen on when checked and will default back to your predetermned time out when you shut it off. It also leaves a little sun in the notification bar to remind you that it is on.

Works great and I have been using it for a few weeks now.

Reactions: qdigga

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I use a program called Screebl (the lite version is free and works fine). Uses VERY little battery and the device just needs to be tilted a bit (as little as 5%) to keep the screen on. As soon as you lay your device flat, it reverts to the pre-set time in the S3 to turn off.

jonl

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Some music players have a screen on option. Player pro and jet audio (free) for example. I wish more developers would introduce the option. Even better would be an option to dim the screen to save power without turning it off, but I haven't seen that in android

The other alternative I use is an app called screen on which lets you setup in advance which Apps should suppress the screen timeout, so you don't have to remember to turn it on when you use the player

turp415

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called keep screen. I use it for different apps when there is a chance I will have to step away from my phone. It will keep the screen lit up. You can choose to have it max or min. Just a thought. It works well for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2