WTH is Sprint doing???

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just read the article for Phil that Sprint has lit up 3 more LTE cities but I have a serious problem with that. Im right here in Houston, a 7/15 launch city and I can tell you that LTE is virtually non existent and reminds me alot like how they deployed WIMAX..My thing is this, Sprint should focus it's resources on quality and not quality and not try to keep up with the big dogs in the number of cities it covers with LTE..Im sitting in the middle of Houston and cant get LTE unless I constantly go in and out of airplane mode and thats only when im outside of a building. Sprint need to focus all resources to get excellent coverage of LTE in a few markets and then expand. Sometimes I think Dan never graduated from elementary!!! Geez:mad:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just read the article for Phil that Sprint has lit up 3 more LTE cities but I have a serious problem with that. Im right here in Houston, a 7/15 launch city and I can tell you that LTE is virtually non existent and reminds me alot like how they deployed WIMAX..My thing is this, Sprint should focus it's resources on quality and not quality and not try to keep up with the big dogs in the number of cities it covers with LTE..Im sitting in the middle of Houston and cant get LTE unless I constantly go in and out of airplane mode and thats only when im outside of a building. Sprint need to focus all resources to get excellent coverage of LTE in a few markets and then expand. Sometimes I think Dan never graduated from elementary!!! Geez:mad:

While they should continue their work in Houston, I'm not on the map and would prefer them spreading the wealth. And not focusing all their resources in one market. If Waco was just added then i may be getting it sooner than I thought.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
While they should continue their work in Houston, I'm not on the map and would prefer them spreading the wealth. And not focusing all their resources in one market. If Waco was just added then i may be getting it sooner than I thought.

If Waco comes out like Houston has then unless you live outside you can't get a signal..thats my point.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If Waco comes out like Houston has then unless you live outside you can't get a signal..thats my point.

And like I said, they should continue their work in Houston but to focus all of their resources on one market would be ridiculously insane.

I think they should start small and when they get it down pat, slowly work up to the bigger markets. :p

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
How selfish of you! :p

Here I am patiently waiting for LTE in New Orleans and you're complaining about yours already. I wouldn't be surprised if your 3g is better than my LTE ( when ever it gets here ) lol. Hasn't your mother taught you to be gratefu? :)

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Give it time. Can you imagine the logistics? Nothing ever goes as planned and the variables involved are enormous.

Thats my point..You can spread yourself then and cause more choas when you don't have to .. Sprint should focus on the original plan..Release LTE slowly but surely in a quality manner and then move resources as needed. This could even turn into another poor customer experience when Sprint says all these areas when in fact no one can barley get a stable 4g signal.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree Sprint could do wonders for their rep if they simply put a little effort into communicating with customers. Seems that being a wireless provider would give them this ability at a very low cost. Would also drastically reduce volume of customer inquiries, which are expensive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think launch happens with only half of the towers ready. There will be lte everywhere you can get 3g from eventually.

Sent from my GS3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I understand you want yours to work perfect you have to think of others who don't have it at all.... Other customers are all over the USA so they can't just focus Houston solely because you want perfection.

They are working on it. I haven't heard others have to keep going in and out of airplane mode... Sounds like your on the border of coverage so I'd just use 3g till you go more in town. Then after a month or two and more towers are up you'll be on LTE all the time and have no issues.

I'm fortunate to be part of the round 2 rollout but that's not for 2 months or so (Jacksonville fl) and who knows... I might be on the outskirts of towers for awhile but at least we know it's there and they are working on it :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

glenensminger

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Truthteller...

Im in Houston as well. In the last 2 days I have been in the Willowbrook area, Jersey Village, Spring Branch, Spring Valley, 1960&290. I have only seen 4g a few times, Willowbrook mall parking lot, Blalock&Hempstead Hwy, only to drop off if I do ANYTHING data related. Sprints coverage maps are totally misleading and inaccurate. It's not just Houston either, look at the sprint forums. I wish someone like Android Central would point out the lies!

Reactions: truthteller10

Adam G

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Last I checked Houston was 14% complete. That might be a little off, I think it was as of June 10th.
You guys can keep track of progress by city on s4gru.com.

Clocks was right, they will turn LTE on when about half the towers are completed. Nationwide they have completed about 1200 out of 38,000 towers as of 7/15.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Last I checked Houston was 14% complete. That might be a little off, I think it was as of June 10th.
You guys can keep track of progress by city on s4gru.com.

Clocks was right, they will turn LTE on when about half the towers are completed. Nationwide they have completed about 1200 out of 38,000 towers as of 7/15.

s4gru is where I got the 14% number. But I don't think the Houston number has updated since June 10th.

Also, the guy running s4gru suggested that they lowered the original threshold for "turning on" a market from 50% to something lower. I'll see if I can find the blog post.

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thats my point..You can spread yourself thin and cause more choas when you don't have to .. Sprint should focus on the original plan..Release LTE slowly but surely in a quality manner and then move resources as needed. This could even turn into another poor customer experience when Sprint says all these areas when in fact no one can barley get a stable 4g signal.

There just might be more to such a huge undertaking than you're aware of.

Limited personnel/crews
Limited supplies
EVERY tower in your market is undergoing an extensive upgrade.

Can't you see that this process takes time? You have a crew of people working in your city. Like an episode of "flip that house" they are going from tower to tower gutting the old tower and replacing it with brand new equiptment. As of now they are X percent complete. Would you want them to not turn on your lte until they are 100% complete?? Try telling that to someone who has LTE now working in your market.

Yes, yes. They are working in other cities too. You want those crews to fly to Houston to work on your market? Are you going to pay for that?

100% of the towers in your market are not lte ready. (Obviously) It'll just take time and patience for the crew in your area to complete their work.

It will not happen overnight.

Txchas

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There just might be more to such a huge undertaking than you're aware of.

Limited personnel/crews
Limited supplies
EVERY tower in your market is undergoing an extensive upgrade.

Can't you see that this process takes time? You have a crew of people working in your city. Like an episode of "flip that house" they are going from tower to tower gutting the old tower and replacing it with brand new equiptment. As of now they are X percent complete. Would you want them to not turn on your lte until they are 100% complete?? Try telling that to someone who has LTE now working in your market.

Yes, yes. They are working in other cities too. You want those crews to fly to Houston to work on your market? Are you going to pay for that?

100% of the towers in your market are not lte ready. (Obviously) It'll just take time and patience for the crew in your area to complete their work.

It will not happen overnight.

We understand what you are saying. But, at the same time, Sprint is putting out maps showing complete coverage of the city with LTE, when in fact, it is very hard to find at all and useless to most people in the city. We are all buying LTE phones because there is supposed to be a network in place.

Reactions: truthteller10

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
We understand what you are saying. But, at the same time, Sprint is putting out maps showing complete coverage of the city with LTE, when in fact, it is very hard to find at all and useless to most people in the city. We are all buying LTE phones because there is supposed to be a network in place.

Perhaps some of you did but most of us bought this phone knowing darn well that the network wasn't in place.