How do you remove Picasa albums from phone

makris0000

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I need help getting my Picasa web albums off my GS3. I tried removing my gmail account from my phone then putting it back, but they didn't get removed. I also tried to uncheck the "Sync Picasa web albums" under my gmail account on my GS3 but that also didn't work. I do not have google+ installed on my phone.

So can someone help me get rid of the Picasa web albums from my phone?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
While in the gallery, tap the file button on the bottom left. Choose view by and select content on phone. It will only show the contents on phone, but if you get out of it and come back later, it defaults back and shows everything again until you do what I said again.

Nevertheless, I haven't figured out how to permanently default to only what's in the phone. It's annoying.

makris0000

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the synching for the Picasa albums is still off, then go into Settings > Application manager. Select the All tab, find Gallery and hit the Clear data button. Next time you open the Gallery, it will take a moment to rebuild it but the Picasa albums should finally be gone.

If I do that will it erase my pictures that I took with my camera or the ones I downloaded from zedge and the ones I got from S-Beam?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
His way actually works. Just back up your folders, do what he mentioned, then place your folders back and you'll still have all your stuff and the picasa crap will be gone!

Reactions: makris0000

anon(855420)

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked.

For future reference for others, you shouldn't even have to backup the folders first. It just wipes the thumbnails that were previously cached when the Picasa folders originally synchronized... That's why it takes a moment to rebuild afterwards.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
can someone explain this process again? i dont even have the picassa app on my phone..?

Don't have to have the app....it's a picture sync from google and is built in and synced by default.

Go into settings----->accounts and sync---->tap google----->uncheck sync picasa web albums.

Go into settings----->application manager---->all tab----->find gallery and clear data

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the synching for the Picasa albums is still off, then go into Settings > Application manager. Select the All tab, find Gallery and hit the Clear data button. Next time you open the Gallery, it will take a moment to rebuild it but the Picasa albums should finally be gone.

Finally I get that dam picassa folder out... thanks a million...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

makris0000

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
out of interest, why do you want to remove picasa from your phone?

I do not use picasa. I have about 100 or so pictures because my sister's computer broke and so we needed a place to put them temporarily. This was when I had my EVO 3D (the picasa pictures did not come on my phone) but when I upgraded to the S3 and put my e-mail on it, my picasa albums automatically came on the phone. Also it is hard to find my actual camera gallery because i have to flip through the picasa albums.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Installing an app called QuickPic will solve your problems. It's the best gallery app ever. Free, fast, useful and solid. I only use the stock gallery app when using the camera, only because I don't have a choice...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Installing an app called QuickPic will solve your problems. It's the best gallery app ever. Free, fast, useful and solid. I only use the stock gallery app when using the camera, only because I don't have a choice...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I use quickpic also. Best photo viewer ever.

JohninBerlin

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Good evening. New to Android here, but I just recently purchased a Samsung S3.

Loving it, especially the HD photos and some other beautiful features - but there is one issue, and I wonder if it's connected to this Picasa thing.

The phone burns up tons of data; after a week, I'd already gone through 2 GB - this, mind you, without watching YouTube or surfing the net, etc. I went back to the store and the guy had no idea. Later, we found out that I was Auto Uploading every damned photo I shot - and I was shooting a lot - up to my Google+ album (not posting, thank god). So we turned off that feature. Then we figured Facebook was churning and updating as well, so we turned that off. But it's still using a ton of data.

So I wonder....if it may be the Picasa Google Photo Albums I've got set up on my Gmail account. I understand they're synced automatically, and I see them load each time I turn on the phone. As I run workshops, I create photo albums for my clients on Gmail Albums, which is great because it allows you to add comments, so they can see what they're doing right, etc. I think these albums - about 20 of them, each with 80+ photos - might be my problem. It's a lot of data, and the phone checks it each time I open up to peek at a photo (or more regularly...).

To my question: 1) When I turn off the sync, I understand that will keep it from constantly updating the albums. Is that right? And if I follow the instructions in the forum here, I undetstand I can also delete the entire albums off my phone. My question, then, is: Will this have any effect on the albums in my Gmail account?? I know - sounds like a naive, stupid question, but someone in the thread said he'd deleted his pics and was "hating his new phone" - I wanted to avoid that. Perhaps I misunderstood what he said.

In an unrelated issue: I've read that there are a number of people out there who are experiencing difficulties hooking up the USB cable and having it recognize the phone as a Media - not as camera. I'm having this problem. Does anyone have a definitive answer on how to deal with this? I can't transfer music files, etc. Wondering if I should just stop using the USB and take off the back, take out the card and stick that in directly with USB-adaptor thingy.

Thank you for reading through my note. Would very much appreciate helpful, smart advice so I can begin using this thing as the cool tool it should be. Thanks in advance to all of you.

JinB

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Good evening. New to Android here, but I just recently purchased a Samsung S3.

Loving it, especially the HD photos and some other beautiful features - but there is one issue, and I wonder if it's connected to this Picasa thing.

The phone burns up tons of data; after a week, I'd already gone through 2 GB - this, mind you, without watching YouTube or surfing the net, etc. I went back to the store and the guy had no idea. Later, we found out that I was Auto Uploading every damned photo I shot - and I was shooting a lot - up to my Google+ album (not posting, thank god). So we turned off that feature. Then we figured Facebook was churning and updating as well, so we turned that off. But it's still using a ton of data.

So I wonder....if it may be the Picasa Google Photo Albums I've got set up on my Gmail account. I understand they're synced automatically, and I see them load each time I turn on the phone. As I run workshops, I create photo albums for my clients on Gmail Albums, which is great because it allows you to add comments, so they can see what they're doing right, etc. I think these albums - about 20 of them, each with 80+ photos - might be my problem. It's a lot of data, and the phone checks it each time I open up to peek at a photo (or more regularly...).

To my question: 1) When I turn off the sync, I understand that will keep it from constantly updating the albums. Is that right? And if I follow the instructions in the forum here, I undetstand I can also delete the entire albums off my phone. My question, then, is: Will this have any effect on the albums in my Gmail account?? I know - sounds like a naive, stupid question, but someone in the thread said he'd deleted his pics and was "hating his new phone" - I wanted to avoid that. Perhaps I misunderstood what he said.

In an unrelated issue: I've read that there are a number of people out there who are experiencing difficulties hooking up the USB cable and having it recognize the phone as a Media - not as camera. I'm having this problem. Does anyone have a definitive answer on how to deal with this? I can't transfer music files, etc. Wondering if I should just stop using the USB and take off the back, take out the card and stick that in directly with USB-adaptor thingy.

Thank you for reading through my note. Would very much appreciate helpful, smart advice so I can begin using this thing as the cool tool it should be. Thanks in advance to all of you.

JinB

The answer to your first question is yes and no. The yes is once you turn off sync, they will no longer constantly upload. The no is that it will NOT affect your albums in gmail given you turned off sync. See, if you turn on sync and upload your pics, you can safely turn off sync and delete the album from yur phone and it will NOT affect the albums that are on gmail.

The answer to the second question is that it all depends.....

You can plug in your phone to your PC using USB but it reads only from internal storage and will show up as a drive letter in windows which you can double click and access as if it were an HD. From there, you can make a folder called "music" and place all your music files in there or make any folder you wish to place files in. After your done, you can use ES file manager or Astro file manager to cut and paste the folders you created to your EXT SD card saving space on your internal SD. (EXT SD card is the card you purchased and placed in the phone).

Or, you can do what you said. Remove your EXT SD card, place in an adapter and add files/folders/etc. and replace back into phone.

I wish also that when connected by USB, it shows both the internal SD and Ext SD as separate drives to move files back and forth but that is one of androids (sammy's?) short commings.

seldawayaty

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't have to have the app....it's a picture sync from google and is built in and synced by default.

Go into settings----->accounts and sync---->tap google----->uncheck sync picasa web albums.

Go into settings----->application manager---->all tab----->find gallery and clear data

this is the optimum solution and i test it my self
don't worry this will not erase the files on your phone or SD, it only remove from gallery
once you open gallery it will re-scan content
the gallery is simply an interface that show up your content
the above action will only move the cache and i tried just now before i answer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2