WiFi turns off and back on by itself, am I the only one?

93mustang50

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I am in the correct area,if not please let me know where I should look for help. I have the Samsung S3 on Verizon network. Today my wifi at home turns it self off and on constantly. It will connect, less than 15 seconds later it turns off, scans, reconnects, disconnects, scans, reconnects and does this continuously. Thank you for any help that can be given. This is driving me crazy and I have read about this dialer thing and then a menu to disconnect powersaving on wifi, but I don't know how to get there. Thank you

terryb58

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
For those of you on AT&T, I had this same problem where when I'm at home I'm able to connect just fine but when I'm at work, my phone would connect to the wifi network and then disconnect after a few seconds. It turns out the AT&T Smart WiFi app was managing my WiFi connections. After I connected to my work wifi network using this app I haven't had any problem since. You may have to change the Auto-connect Wi-Fi hotspot setting to My Spots but that is actually what you want it to do. My Spots only includes AT&T wifi hotspots and hotspots you specifically connect to. Hope this helps.

I just realized I'm in the Spring Galaxy S3 forum. Sorry about that. I'll leave this post though because it may give you guys an idea of what may be going on like having some other app trying to manage your wifi connections.

Last edited:

Shantnu Chaturvedi

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My phone was getting connected to Home WiFi but at work it got disconnected after a few seconds.
Looks like I had the same problem with AT&T Smart WiFi app.
I disabled this and my WiFi works perfectly fine now.
Thanks for your solution.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having similar problem with my home wifi, I get the banner at the botton: reconnecting toXXwifi, every now and then. Also while I'm watching youtube it will disconnect and to into 3g, but if I look at the pull down menu it shows that wifi is on but not connected to my router. Tried the power saving on and off with not much diference, still getting the message: reconnecting to wifi...,
Called sprint today and told me to remove battery, and reset the network from dialpad: ##72786#, seems a little better, but still reconnecting and loosing wifi. I don't know what else to do, is very annoying, my son has same phone and has no issues, as all the other devices connected to my home network work fine.
I'll will try the sprint store today and see if I can get any straight answers.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having similar problem with my home wifi, I get the banner at the botton: reconnecting toXXwifi, every now and then. Also while I'm watching youtube it will disconnect and to into 3g, but if I look at the pull down menu it shows that wifi is on but not connected to my router. Tried the power saving on and off with not much diference, still getting the message: reconnecting to wifi...,
Called sprint today and told me to remove battery, and reset the network from dialpad: ##72786#, seems a little better, but still reconnecting and loosing wifi. I don't know what else to do, is very annoying, my son has same phone and has no issues, as all the other devices connected to my home network work fine.
I'll will try the sprint store today and see if I can get any straight answers.

Well, I went back to Best Buys and used my geek warranty, got another phone the next business day and so far wifi doesn't drop off anymore like my other phone. Maybe there was something wrong with the antenna. I will never know...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Gregory Merilli

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
to fix the WIFI disconnect problem, I too went in and turned off the WIFI power save mode (*#0011#) from dialer. I find that whenever the phone goes to less that 5% battery, it then turns this setting back on.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Fivegear, the *#0011# and turning off the Wi-Fi power savings stopped my issue with the Wi-Fi dropping then reconnecting randomly. I was thinking I would have to replace my phone, which I was dreading as it would be my fourth. I dropped the first two and broke their screens. Best buy insurance so no cost to replace them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My issue has been with my new Sprint SIII with 4.1.1 attempting to connect to WiFI all the time. I would use the notification bar link to shut off the WiFI but after a while it would turn itself back on and appear to be connected to public WiFi nearby.

If I missed the answer somewhere on this or any other thread sorry to repeat the answer.

Go to Settings>More Settings>Mobile Networks>Connection Optimizer and uncheck the one box and back out. Feel free to read all the info they provide but this DID solve the problem for me.

I know control my WiFI's on/off activity via the notification bar with no issues.

Zyquan Howard

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem ever since a couple days ago my wifi has not been working on my phone. I click the wifi check box it says scanning for a little bit... & then it say "Unable To Scan For Networks" my router is perfectly fine. I need help.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got the phone and turned off the connection optimizer. I've noticed that if I go back into that setting the box is checked again. When I go into the and enter in that number it comes up with a blank screen. There aren't any WIFI options on that screen at all so how do I get there? Thanks for any help!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got the phone and turned off the connection optimizer. I've noticed that if I go back into that setting the box is checked again. When I go into the and enter in that number it comes up with a blank screen. There aren't any WIFI options on that screen at all so how do I get there? Thanks for any help!

The optimizer turns on every time you go there. Turn it off and stay out of there.

torrentamrit

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Worked perfectly for me.. thanks.. I was about to dump my phone and go with iPhone 5 but you saved Samsung's butt.. thanks much fella.... ChEeRs...!!!

Yu Min Cho

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys, i had this problem since 2 days ago and fixed it. btw this is only for those people who use GO Launcher and have installed GO Power Master. in there you have to turn off the auto wifi

Joseph Duncan

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
my wifi dropping went away after I updated to the Samsung original firmware update for my gt-p1000
the version I updated too is 2.3.6 gingerbread. my phone was rooted and kept having issues updating until I unrooted
and the
Kies software (older version) worked like a champ. the only problems that I can see now is I am reading that this firmware is
Almost impossible to root. been trying a while now to reroot since my tablet has slowed considerably with the new update.
CONSIDERING A CUSTOM ROM AGAIN BUT AFRAID TO HAVE THE WIFI DROPPING ISSUE AGAIN. other than that !.
This seems to be a stable firmware upgrade and added a few new apps.. Good luck:cool:

robon

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
no it is ridiculous and disruptive. i am convinced that it is a sprint function so they can jump on any wifi network to take the load off of their own cellular network

WolfesWorld

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Go to the
Home Page - select Settings
then select - More Settings
then select - Mobile Networks
then select - Connections Optimizer
Uncheck the box at the top of the page.
This option Automatically selects the best mobile network and will always try to go to WiFi instead of the phone company's cell phone airwaves.
When you uncheck this option it will always go thru the cell phones data side, and won't turn on your WiFi, at least until you actually turn on the WiFi option manually.
hope that helps. :)

AM Theory

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Does turning off the connection optimizer hinder the search or the pick up of your 4g net work

- - - Updated - - -

Does turning off the connection optimizer hinder the search or the pick up of your 4g net work?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Does turning off the connection optimizer hinder the search or the pick up of your 4g net work

- - - Updated - - -

Does turning off the connection optimizer hinder the search or the pick up of your 4g net work?

No. All it does is turn your wifi on randomly to see if a known network is around. It doesn't affect mobile data at all.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie