Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Movies on S3 to TV Help!

I have a S3 and just bought the pipeline adapter from MHL to HDMI. I have plugged the adapter to my phone, the HDMI cord to the adapter and then to my TV. I tried playing a movie and nothing happens on my TV. I get no signal. How do I take movies ive rented from my phone and play it on my TV... please helpp
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by msmall2 View Post
    I have a S3 and just bought the pipeline adapter from MHL to HDMI. I have plugged the adapter to my phone, the HDMI cord to the adapter and then to my TV. I tried playing a movie and nothing happens on my TV. I get no signal. How do I take movies ive rented from my phone and play it on my TV... please helpp
    Only the samsung one will work? Good old propriety hardware. Not only samsung but one made specifically for the gs3.

Default Re: Movies on S3 to TV Help!

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Only the samsung one will work? Good old propriety hardware. Not only samsung but one made specifically for the gs3.
    Click to view quoted image
    Maybe so, but I noticed online that Sprint's MHL adapter for the E4GT uses the same accessory item number (#EVH1303) as the MHL they're offering for the SGIII, and they state that it works with several other phones as well.

I ordered that Sprint univesal MHL adatarer because it was listed as a compatible device on Sprint .com. After going to the store twice and 3 tech support calls, I found out that it is not so universal. It will not work with the SGIII. I aslo got the "No Signal" on my TV.

My Galaxy tab 10.1 works fine with its samsung made MDMI adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
    Maybe so, but I noticed online that Sprint's MHL adapter for the E4GT uses the same accessory item number (#EVH1303) as the MHL they're offering for the SGIII, and they state that it works with several other phones as well.
    The GS3 has an 11 pin micro usb port. Its new and as of now proprietary to Samsung GS3 devices.
    The older MHL compatible devices use the 4 or 5 pin standard micro usb port.
    So yes the E4GT, EVO 3D, and EVO LTE will work with that adapter but NOT the GS3. You will have to buy the GS3 MHL adapter or an adapter to go from the GS3 to a standard MHL..

EDIT found this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EPL-FU...idcentral00-20
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Thanks to all for the clarifications on the unique MHL for the GSIII. Hmm...just when we finally start getting fairly common micro-USB chargers for use on various phones, Samsung pulls an Apple-like trick with their proprietary MHL, and Sprint is once again clueless that it even happened.

It was one of the factors that made me go from my Epic Touch to an EVO LTE.
    That and the EVO came out first. LOL
    Even though its a small price to pay for an adapter, its the principle of what they did. At least thats how i see it.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Monoprice's 5-pin MHL-HDMI adapter (#8805) is around $10.20 and you can get the Samsung 11-pin to 5-pin micro-USB plug adapter (#SSA-EPL-FU10BEB) on eBay for $10 delivered. I'm using both to stream the Olympics from my SGIII to my HDTV. Just remember your micro-USB power charger cable is also needed for it all to work.

Will this also charge the phone at the same time?

You are required to hook up a power supply to it. Will it charge will depend on the usage.
    Keep in mind your powering the adapter, phone with screen on and possibly streaming of the content your watching.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    You are required to hook up a power supply to it. Will it charge will depend on the usage.
    Keep in mind your powering the adapter, phone with screen on and possibly streaming of the content your watching.
    Can I use the usb charging cable/adapter that I use for my phone? (ETA0U80JBEBSTD) Of course I got the cheaper one on Amazon :P

yes
    Quote Originally Posted by AGorrila View Post
    Can I use the usb charging cable/adapter that I use for my phone? (ETA0U80JBEBSTD) Of course I got the cheaper one on Amazon :P

I am having same problem and bought 4XEM brand for my phone. And it came with no instructions. It has the charger, hdmi, mhl. Do I just need to order the Samsung brand part you mentioned to add to my wires? Please advise. I also have the Samsung g3. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Perkins View Post
    I am having same problem and bought 4XEM brand for my phone. And it came with no instructions. It has the charger, hdmi, mhl. Do I just need to order the Samsung brand part you mentioned to add to my wires? Please advise. I also have the Samsung g3. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App
    Probably.
    If the 4XEM brand is a standard MHL adapter, then Yes you need the 11 pin to 5 pin adapter.
    GS3 is 11 pin.

Just to let everyone know if you have a ps3 the s3 has a built in feature that allows you to stream over wifi. Ive use it since day one. Also there are apps out there that'll let do the same. The one I use for my tablet is imedia share its pretty good I believe they recently changed the name to flipps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you Very much! I ordered it cheaply from Amazon. The Samsung one.

Natalie Perkins