Update....

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
We have three of these phones all with this update. Before update, we got 24+ hours per charge, after, 8-12 hours.

They changed the modem software, made the phones better at 4G.

55% of my battery is now eaten by cell standby.

Facebook burns 1% of my battery, PER MINUTE.

This update is straight garbage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We have three of these phones all with this update. Before update, we got 24+ hours per charge, after, 8-12 hours.

They changed the modem software, made the phones better at 4G.

55% of my battery is now eaten by cell standby.

Facebook burns 1% of my battery, PER MINUTE.

This update is straight garbage.

So they updated the 4g to make it better right? So if your phone is holding an LTE signal now vs before not getting one that can very well eat up the battery. Or if your not getting good LTE that could eat up battery to. As the cell is on standby its constantly trying its hardest to hold a light LTE signal. This very well could be a huge huge part of your drain.

Also how does Facebook take 1% per minute? Your phone wouldn't last 8-12 hours then....... Also we all know he Facebook app is complete craptastic. Look at all the reviews in the play store and I can say from experience. It's a very bad app that does all sorts of wonky stuff.

So Imo it might be some stuff you're running for your battery and not the update. If it was the update I'd have at the very minimum similar issues.

EDIT-

Here is a screenshot of my battery. It got down to 14% about an hour and a half ago (1PM est) so I turned it off and plugged it in. Just powered it up before this post. I am on 3g so no lte drain or weak lte signal drain.

42576d7d-779d-c3d2.jpg

EDIT -
Here is screen time. Forgot to post that to :x.

42576d7d-7843-e786.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

daniralp

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So it was me somehow a box in the messaging settings unchecked. It just happend after the update. It now works like it should:-[

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So it was me somehow a box in the messaging settings unchecked. It just happend after the update. It now works like it should:-[

It's all good! Glad we got it back to working order for you :D

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm being spammed by the update software. I keep coming install later. If it worsens the battery life then I don't really want to update. Especially since I don't even have 4g so changing the modern crap isn't even necessary for me. I'm tired of clicking install later so I might just install now to get this thing to shut the hell up

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm being spammed by the update software. I keep coming install later. If it worsens the battery life then I don't really want to update. Especially since I don't even have 4g so changing the modern crap isn't even necessary for me. I'm tired of clicking install later so I might just install now to get this thing to shut the hell up

I personally don't have an issue as you can see. I'd like to see screen shots from the guy about what's taking his battery, how many bars of lte he has etc. Because some statements like FB draining 1% a minute have to be exaggerated because his phone wouldn't last 8-12 hours on that.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I like the way my phone works. I don't see a reason for the update. I'm just going to keep denying the updates until eventually my phone gives up.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't have an issue as you can see. I'd like to see screen shots from the guy about what's taking his battery, how many bars of lte he has etc. Because some statements like FB draining 1% a minute have to be exaggerated because his phone wouldn't last 8-12 hours on that.

Yup, I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not.

I have no reason to troll this place. If you looked, we have 3 S3's, and an S2. My wife and daughter just turned off their Epic's.

I am an android fan, and I love Samsung products.

Those facts don't change the fact that I sat in the sprint store this eveing, loaded up facebook, handed my phone to the tech, and had them play for 5 minutes. 4% of my battery life where gone.

The modem made 4G better, but made 3G worse. I am constantly losing data connection, and the Cell Stand By is murdering my phone.

I did my third factory reset at work, let the phone update and use reinstall my apps.

15 mins off of the WiFi, and it drained 31% of my battery. at 8pm, at the sprint store, I was down to 36% battery, for 10 hours, 59 minutes. 31% of that was Cell Stand By.

This update made the phone smoother, I agree, but the modem is crap.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got this phone and it did several updates.How can I tell if I have the LG8 one?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not.

I have no reason to troll this place. If you looked, we have 3 S3's, and an S2. My wife and daughter just turned off their Epic's.

I am an android fan, and I love Samsung products.

Those facts don't change the fact that I sat in the sprint store this eveing, loaded up facebook, handed my phone to the tech, and had them play for 5 minutes. 4% of my battery life where gone.

The modem made 4G better, but made 3G worse. I am constantly losing data connection, and the Cell Stand By is murdering my phone.

I did my third factory reset at work, let the phone update and use reinstall my apps.

15 mins off of the WiFi, and it drained 31% of my battery. at 8pm, at the sprint store, I was down to 36% battery, for 10 hours, 59 minutes. 31% of that was Cell Stand By.

This update made the phone smoother, I agree, but the modem is crap.

By no means do I think your trolling. I was just making my observations be known :). The Facebook thing I can't explain except for I know it's a horrible app. It definitely gives me tons of problems.

As for the radios though... If they made 3g worse wouldn't I be screwed? I don't have LTE yet so I am 100% 3g only and mine seems okay. You can see previously my cell standby was 47% (recalling from memory lol) but I still had 1d 7h of time. So that's what makes me wonder how the update would mess up your 3g radio but yet mine is good. The only explanation I can think is the difference in 3g coverage.

I am in a pretty good area anywhere I go in Jacksonville except for my house I get a weak signal. I can still call and text but my 3g can be slow so I just use wifi. When I'm anywhere else my 3g averages 800kbps-1Mbit with peaks at almost 2.

But yeah that's my 2cents..because if it was software related it should (in my mind) affect us all the same since we are running the same thing. My thought is maybe the radio itself is bad on the phone and is over working? Not sure.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The Facebook thing I can't explain except for I know it's a horrible app. It definitely gives me tons of problems.

As for the radios though... If they made 3g worse wouldn't I be screwed? I don't have LTE yet so I am 100% 3g only and mine seems okay. You can see previously my cell standby was 47% (recalling from memory lol) but I still had 1d 7h of time. So that's what makes me wonder how the update would mess up your 3g radio but yet mine is good. The only explanation I can think is the difference in 3g coverage.

The Facebook issue with 1%/min can be explained because it's only happening while actively using the app, which is a complete pos as we've all read.

Also note that comparing the power % figures to other users is not relevant unless both parties are exactly duplicating each other in terms of what the phone is doing during the time period represented by the usage statistics. In fact you can't compare your own stats during different sessions for same reason. You would be comparing X% of apples to Y% of oranges.

So far I'm pleased with the update and battery life hasn't changed enough to notice and Battery Monitor Pro confirms this. With 2 bar signal (CDMA only) and phone asleep for 4 hours battery dropped from 100% to 99%. WiFi, powersave, mobile data, sync on. 2 days ago I did notice more heat and drain rate so I fired up OS Monitor. There was a constant 60-80% CPU load coming from unknown process called SYSTEM. A reboot fixed it and hasn't returned.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I like the way my phone works. I don't see a reason for the update. I'm just going to keep denying the updates until eventually my phone gives up.

I believe updates are cumulative so denying an update permanently will end your phone's updating for good. Someone correct me if that's not true, but file sizes of updates so far would seem to indicate they are patches which build on all previous patches.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The Facebook issue with 1%/min can be explained because it's only happening while actively using the app, which is a complete pos as we've all read.

Also note that comparing the power % figures to other users is not relevant unless both parties are exactly duplicating each other in terms of what the phone is doing during the time period represented by the usage statistics. In fact you can't compare your own stats during different sessions for same reason. You would be comparing X% of apples to Y% of oranges.

So far I'm pleased with the update and battery life hasn't changed enough to notice and Battery Monitor Pro confirms this. With 2 bar signal (CDMA only) and phone asleep for 4 hours battery dropped from 100% to 99%. WiFi, powersave, mobile data, sync on. 2 days ago I did notice more heat and drain rate so I fired up OS Monitor. There was a constant 60-80% CPU load coming from unknown process called SYSTEM. A reboot fixed it and hasn't returned.

which apps are those? I will try them.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It's also worth mentioning that there is '100% battery level', and then there's 'fully charged, charging has stopped'. Deep charging your phone early on can help ensure max capacity. Do 2 or three cycles early and then once per month. Saturate each time letting it stay at 100% until it tells you to disconnect and discharge down to <=5%. When not running these charge often and 20 - 80% ish is a good range. The app will help you see how your battery is feeling :)

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I still have not gotten the update. but im confused as to what version we should have.

I currently have L710VPLG2

The following link from sprint, says the update that started rolling out on 7/25/2012, is L710VPLG4
Sprint Update History SGS3

But the update that is available to install manually and the one that people claim they are getting is L710VPLG8

Can someone confirm which one is actually the right or latest official update?