Home Screen Lag SOLVED! At least for me...

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is not about the S-Voice double tap lag thing. Feel free to skip to the bottom for the solution if you really don't care about the lead up...

Anyway, I'm the guy that pulled off the screen protector and then dropped The Precious (my girlfriend's name for it, not mine) and broke the screen. Finally paid the deductible and got my new phone.

After setting it up over the weekend and making sure it looked exactly the same as my old one, I wiped the broken phone and put it in the bag to ship off.

During the weekend, I started to notice that if I went into an app and then back out to the homescreen, that the phone would have a bit of lag loading the icons. This didn't happen when moving from the app drawer to the home screen, just moving from ANY app to the home. I was certain that this never happened on the old phone, so to make sure I wasn't crazy, or because I am, I retrieved the broken phone and powered it back up. After logging in, I let the phone reload all of my old apps. Once it was done, I set them side by side and went into an app and then back out to the home screen. New phone: lag. Old phone: no lag.

Searching the forums gave me the S-Voice double tap lag, but nothing exactly like what I was seeing. So then I did what thankfully only took about 20 minutes. I hunted down the setting that was the culprit. (FYI both phones had the newest LG8 update.)

Seems that in Menu > Settings > Developer Options the last section titled "Do not keep activities" was checked. This option says it destroys every activity as soon as the user leaves it. I thought this referred to apps so that you didn't have to force close things. Apparently this also means that the CPU has to use some processing power to redraw your personalized home screen every time you exit an app and go back to it.

Once I unchecked this box, I went to the home screen, watched it redraw my icons, and then it never had to do it again. I was back to a no lag phone!

Hope this helps someone else who may be pulling their hair out or like I was, ready to ship the phone back for a replacement.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure as I haven't tested, but that option may also remove the save state function, meaning every app restarts from it's initial launch sequence as opposed to taking you back to where you were. The delay may be more about saving app state than redrawing homescreen, since the gpu is rendering it each time regardless. Again just a theory. Let us know what you find out with the new setting.

oracle00008i

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU!
I was facing the same problem and I was worried that my S3 was lagging and I couldn't find the solution but now the problem is solved. :D
This phone has a lot of hidden things that needs time to understand.

champ8168

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
This may work as mine used to lagg when loading the home screen. The screen would be blank then the icons would load one by one after coming out of a app or even a browser.. tried everything on the net and I mean everything. . S voice taken off, fiddled with stuff in the developer options. (Can't even remember all the things) I've got a s3 by the way and it did this on ice cream sandwich and the jelly bean latest version. Anyway it turns out it would always lagg then I would reboot and all these apps would update then it would be fine.. anyway I went onto the play store app went into settings and unchecked update apps automatically.. and hey presto its stopped lagging.. what I think was happening is that the phone was trying to update like a few apps at a time and the ram was getting used up.. I've been using it for a few days now and its as quick as a bad boy phone like it is should be.. all smiles again

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This may work as mine used to lagg when loading the home screen. The screen would be blank then the icons would load one by one after coming out of a app or even a browser.. tried everything on the net and I mean everything. . S voice taken off, fiddled with stuff in the developer options. (Can't even remember all the things) I've got a s3 by the way and it did this on ice cream sandwich and the jelly bean latest version. Anyway it turns out it would always lagg then I would reboot and all these apps would update then it would be fine.. anyway I went onto the play store app went into settings and unchecked update apps automatically.. and hey presto its stopped lagging.. what I think was happening is that the phone was trying to update like a few apps at a time and the ram was getting used up.. I've been using it for a few days now and its as quick as a bad boy phone like it is should be.. all smiles again

Do you keep your data on or off most of the time? My S3 only automatically updates when I connect to wifi.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
This is quite an old thread, but my question is why would you have the Developer options turned on in the first place. Mine is OFF and has always been OFF and I have not experienced the problem you describe.

kalapasc6

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks man ! i had done exactly the same . after reading your post i thought i would do the same , and there it was checked!! unchecked it and all is well. Its people like you that make the world an easier place ! thanks, j

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar