Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default foxfi for the GS3

Has anyone been able to get this to work for Sprint yet?
    Retired Ambassador

I was told it worked Bluetooth only.

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    ROM
    FreeGS3

It wasn't working on my Optimus S , and I haven't tried bluetooth mode since my desktop doesn't have a dongle.

Sent from my LG-LS670
    Remember to "Thank" people who help you out!

Default Re: foxfi for the GS3

Wifi tether doesn't work on the Sprint Galaxy S3. Email the developers to see if they have a timeframe.

try using switch pro widget, its 99cents.
    works great for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

wait yes foxfi works i have the g3 and my girl , we both have tablets and we are able to provide internet to both,,,,,,but you have to use Bluetooth dun!,,,,bla bla search for devise and it works
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No Bluetooth on my cheap$$ laptop. Time for a dongle, I guess. Thanks all.

Foxfi works perfectly fine on wifi on my S3.
    I juat grabbed my wifes S3 and connected to my wifi hotspot without a problem. I put it on my S3 the day after I got it and has worked fine since.
    Havent tried bluetooth connection at all.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bdmridgback View Post
    Foxfi works perfectly fine on wifi on my S3.
    I juat grabbed my wifes S3 and connected to my wifi hotspot without a problem. I put it on my S3 the day after I got it and has worked fine since.
    Havent tried bluetooth connection at all.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk
    wait, so you took your wifes s3 and connected it to your wifi hot spot? The app is suppose to make your wifes s3 THE hotspot, not allow it to connect to one.

I have not gotten wifi to work on this app to make my s3 a hotspot. the bluetooth option works tho.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Foxfi wifi tether does not work on the sprint galaxy s3. I emailed the developers several weeks ago--that's what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. Foxfi wifi tether does not work on the sprint galaxy s3. I emailed the developers several weeks ago--that's what they said.

My Foxfi works perfectly fine on my S3...do you not get that, and there are others out there isn a couple other threads that it works on as well.

Foxfi works on my phone, I can connect my wifes phone and my tablet off of my phone...
    My wifes phone has foxfi and she connects her tablet to it all the time...and my friend Jess has foxfi that I installed on her phone and it works perfect as well.

So that is 3 Sprint S3's that it is working on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoovhartid View Post
    wait, so you took your wifes s3 and connected it to your wifi hot spot? The app is suppose to make your wifes s3 THE hotspot, not allow it to connect to one.

I have not gotten wifi to work on this app to make my s3 a hotspot. the bluetooth option works tho.

I turned on Foxfi hotspot on my phone, put her phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on and connected her phone to my hotspot to see if it was still working and it is. I also connected my tablet to mine as well. I have never tried the bluetooth.

Global Posts
    2,121 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by bdmridgback View Post
    My Foxfi works perfectly fine on my S3...do you not get that, and there are others out there isn a couple other threads that it works on as well.

Foxfi works on my phone, I can connect my wifes phone and my tablet off of my phone...
    My wifes phone has foxfi and she connects her tablet to it all the time...and my friend Jess has foxfi that I installed on her phone and it works perfect as well.

So that is 3 Sprint S3's that it is working on.
    Hmmm. That's strange. What version do you have of Fox Fi?

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Hmmm. That's strange. What version do you have of Fox Fi?
    Yeah, I could only get it to work under Bluetooth and issues with Sprint have been reported a number of other places --

FoxFi FREE WIFI Hotspot [NO ROOT *on some] - xda-developers

and by the developer --

FoxFi Installer

Dave

ROM
    stock

I have heard that Foxfi v 1.40 works with the GS3. is that the version you're using? because even on the developers website it states the new version (1.93) doesn't work with the GS3.

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rickspencer View Post
    I have heard that Foxfi v 1.40 works with the GS3. is that the version you're using? because even on the developers website it states the new version (1.93) doesn't work with the GS3.
    I am using 1.93. Where did you get 1.40?

Dave

ROM
    stock

I personally don't have it . I read in a review that it worked for someone. That is why I brought it up, to see if the review was correct or corroborated.

I tried FoxFo 1.93 (from foxfi.com/bin) on my Sprint GS3. My tablet could see the SSID, but not establish connection.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    Yeah, I could only get it to work under Bluetooth and issues with Sprint have been reported a number of other places --

FoxFi FREE WIFI Hotspot [NO ROOT *on some] - xda-developers

and by the developer --

FoxFi Installer

Dave
    I am unable to get it to work on BT, I folllowed the in app instructions and installed PDANeton my tablet, no joy...

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts

I can't find it in the settings to allow third party apps!! Where is it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by scipio11111 View Post
    Has anyone been able to get this to work for Sprint yet?
    FYI, unauthorized tethering is a violation of Sprint's standard contract. The only way I know of to legally run a hotspot app on the GS3 is to subscribe to Sprint's add-on hotspot service.

Sorry but foxfi Wi-Fi tethering sites not work on Sprint Samsung galaxy S3, you have to setup with Bluetooth and use the pda net app. I also tried many other Wi-Fi tethering apps and they won't work on the Sprint Samsung galaxy S3.

Sent from my White, Sexy S3.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by DT81 View Post
    I can't find it in the settings to allow third party apps!! Where is it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    menu/settings/security/unknown sources
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by smooches680 View Post
    Sorry but foxfi Wi-Fi tethering sites not work on Sprint Samsung galaxy S3, you have to setup with Bluetooth and use the pda net app. I also tried many other Wi-Fi tethering apps and they won't work on the Sprint Samsung galaxy S3.

Sent from my White, Sexy S3.
    Sadly, I have to agree but I finally did get it to work with the Foxfi/Pdanet combo. A lot of hoops to go through on the install though and its about 40% slower - but at least it works.
    Super-elite full-time dad

ROM
    Me: WickedSens 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    FYI, unauthorized tethering is a violation of Sprint's standard contract. The only way I know of to legally run a hotspot app on the GS3 is to subscribe to Sprint's add-on hotspot service.
    So..what you're saying...is you should pay for data that you already paid for, TWICE?

yeah, that makes sense. I doubt seriously it's in the terms of service...they just provision you to use a function of the phone that is ALREADY A FUNCTION OF THE PHONE.

This isn't something that Sprint incorporates into the phone, GOOGLE--->ANDROID incorporates this function...the providers just put a provisional access on it to get more money from subs.

If it was "illegal" then it don't you think developers who make custom ROMS and rooted users would be getting knocked off and banned with their devices for having ROOTED devices???

Think about it...if they could do this, they would be banning people who root their phones off the network, and the incentive to root a phone would be non-existent. OBVIOUSLY rooting your phone doesn't get your MEID banned, and ROOTED users can WIFI hotspot all they want (because AGAIN, it's a function of the phone, NOT a function the providers give you)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    So..what you're saying...is you should pay for data that you already paid for, TWICE?

yeah, that makes sense. I doubt seriously it's in the terms of service...they just provision you to use a function of the phone that is ALREADY A FUNCTION OF THE PHONE.

This isn't something that Sprint incorporates into the phone, GOOGLE--->ANDROID incorporates this function...the providers just put a provisional access on it to get more money from subs.

If it was "illegal" then it don't you think developers who make custom ROMS and rooted users would be getting knocked off and banned with their devices for having ROOTED devices???

Think about it...if they could do this, they would be banning people who root their phones off the network, and the incentive to root a phone would be non-existent. OBVIOUSLY rooting your phone doesn't get your MEID banned, and ROOTED users can WIFI hotspot all they want (because AGAIN, it's a function of the phone, NOT a function the providers give you)
    Technically it is a violation of the users contract which is a violation of civil (not criminal) law. And yes, with deep packet inspection they can tell that the ultimate destination of a data packet is not the phone (unless your doing some sort of VPN tunneling). However Sprint really wants to retain customers so they are likely only going to ban someone if there is obvious/egregious abuse. Personally I've had no problem setting up a mobile hotspot on my old Palm Pre so my daughter could download an e-book before a flight and send a few messages to friends, but I wouldn't keep a torrent running on a laptop. Somewhere between those extremes is a not publicly defined line that you shouldn't cross.
    palmpreboss likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast