Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    What are some tips & tricks to increase my battery life? I'm on 47% and I've only gotten 6hrs and 45min out of it. What are some things I should/can do to improve this? Also when I am out with my friends, and on Twitter/Instagram/etc. my battery just drains by the minute it seems. Any tips & tricks out there for me to make my battery actually last a full day? Thanks!
  2. #2  
    ectoren's Avatar

    Posts
    264 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Wow. That's pretty short battery life for the S3. I know a poster will come along with a good link, but try increase the time of notifications in social apps (from 15 minutes to hours), on weather apps make sure you for 6 hrs or more for refresh on temp/weather new, set the screen brightness below 50%, etc.
  3. #3  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Imo the biggest battery hog is google maps. Make sure that it isn't a running process when you're not using it. In addition, turn off gps when you don't need it. I don't think brightness plays much into it because I keep my brightness at 100 and I have pretty good battery life. Use WiFi over 3g/4g whenever you can because it saves ALOT of battery. Other than that...Close applications using the ics multitasker when you don't need them open? Lol that's all I got.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  
    ectoren's Avatar

    Posts
    264 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    Use WiFi over 3g/4g whenever you can because it saves ALOT of battery. Other than that...
    Turn off WiFi no wifi nearby.

    +1 on your WiFi usage. I have wifi at work and really really helps alot with battery life.
  5. #5  
  6. #6  

    Default

    I solved any battery problems by purchasing the extra battery and charger kit.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
    _OMEGA_ likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    Imo the biggest battery hog is google maps. Make sure that it isn't a running process when you're not using it. In addition, turn off gps when you don't need it. I don't think brightness plays much into it because I keep my brightness at 100 and I have pretty good battery life. Use WiFi over 3g/4g whenever you can because it saves ALOT of battery. Other than that...Close applications using the ics multitasker when you don't need them open? Lol that's all I got.
    How do you totally turn off/terminate Google Maps? Because whenever I close it/end it, it always just re-appears seconds later...
  8. #8  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    How do you totally turn off/terminate Google Maps? Because whenever I close it/end it, it always just re-appears seconds later...
    I usually end it from the multitasker. Also, if you don't use maps constantly and you're rooted, you can always freeze the app when you're not using it by using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FyYW50aW5lIl0.
    Last edited by Lolanerd; 07-31-2012 at 10:00 PM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    I usually end it from the multitasker. Also, if you don't use maps constantly and you're rooted, you can always freeze the app when you're not using it by using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FyYW50aW5lIl0.
    Yes me too. But like I said, it reappears seconds later. And sorry, not rooted.
  10. #10  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Yes me too. But like I said, it reappears seconds later. And sorry, not rooted.
    That's weird because mine doesn't. Maybe you could try ending the process in the task manager, although that could have adverse effects; I'm not entirely sure. You could try turning off all your location services when you don't need maps running, without them I would think maps can't run anyways. Thats all I got lol sorry, good luck!
  11. #11  

    Default

    Try to turn off your carrier network (4g or 3g) when you are not using it. The way to turn off the carrier network is Settings> Wireless and network> Mobile networks> Uncheck "Use packet data" If you want to reuse the carrier network, simply recheck "Use packet data" Hope this helps! :thumbup:

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Holy crap guys.... I charged my phone to 100% fully charged last night... turned it on 11:30 (25 min ago) been texting my GF and that is it... and it's already down to 97%. I am at home, connected to my Wi-Fi. What the GIVES!!??
    equishd likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Check battery settings to see if it tells you what has used the most during the 25 min. I recommend OS Monitor app as it shows all processes and their CPU load. Last night things seemed slow. Looking at o s monitor I noticed a system process chugging at 75 percent constantly for no reason. Rebooted phone and that solved it. I wonder if the recent update will be updated based on the very negative feedback?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by trunkmonkey1972 View Post
    Check battery settings to see if it tells you what has used the most during the 25 min. I recommend OS Monitor app as it shows all processes and their CPU load. Last night things seemed slow. Looking at o s monitor I noticed a system process chugging at 75 percent constantly for no reason. Rebooted phone and that solved it. I wonder if the recent update will be updated based on the very negative feedback?
    45 min on the battery and it's already down to 94%.

    26% Screen
    17% Phone
    13% Cell Standby
    12% MapServiceSamsung (WTF is this??)
    10% Android System
    6% Android OS
    6% Handcent
    3% Weather
    3% Media server
    2% Instagram

    It's weird bc I have the screen on like 35% brightness and I have not made any calls, just texting my GF as I stated. Also wondering WTF "MapServiceSumsung" is and how I can turn that off. Thanks to everyone so far for the help.
  15. #15  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    45 min on the battery and it's already down to 94%.

    26% Screen
    17% Phone
    13% Cell Standby
    12% MapServiceSamsung (WTF is this??)
    10% Android System
    6% Android OS
    6% Handcent
    3% Weather
    3% Media server
    2% Instagram

    It's weird bc I have the screen on like 35% brightness and I have not made any calls, just texting my GF as I stated. Also wondering WTF "MapServiceSumsung" is and how I can turn that off. Thanks to everyone so far for the help.
    I would like to start by saying that 6% in 45 minutes is not bad, because its the amoled screen thats sucking the battery anyways, regardless if you are texting or not. Also, the fact that cell standby is so high means that you get bad cell reception wherever you are. Bad cell reception = bad battery life. You could try going to a different radio (LG8 maybe). And I have no idea what mapservicesamsung is lmao.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    How do you disable S-Voice?
  17. #17  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    How do you disable S-Voice?
    Go to the app and turn off the double home press to launch s-voice. Then turn off the "say google" (or whatever) to launch s-voice. Btw, if you haven't turned off the voice launch, that'll really help because otherwise it's always listening just in case you say the word, and that wastes battery. Then just close the app and don't use it anymore.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    Go to the app and turn off the double home press to launch s-voice. Then turn off the "say google" (or whatever) to launch s-voice. Btw, if you haven't turned off the voice launch, that'll really help because otherwise it's always listening just in case you say the word, and that wastes battery. Then just close the app and don't use it anymore.
    Done.

    But yesterday I did all the battery tricks I could think of.... still only got 12hrs of use with it. And that's about medium usage, went on Twitter/Instagram only a few times but was constantly texting my GF and only made 5-6 calls. What gives?!?! -___-
  19. #19  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Done.

    But yesterday I did all the battery tricks I could think of.... still only got 12hrs of use with it. And that's about medium usage, went on Twitter/Instagram only a few times but was constantly texting my GF and only made 5-6 calls. What gives?!?! -___-
    Do you remember what the screen on time was or how good your signal was on average throughout the day? And also, did you predominantly use 3g or wifi? Those 3 contribute most towards battery life so I would think your problem stemmed from one of those.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    Do you remember what the screen on time was or how good your signal was on average throughout the day? And also, did you predominantly use 3g or wifi? Those 3 contribute most towards battery life so I would think your problem stemmed from one of those.
    By "screen on time" you mean what?? I just charged it to 100% so we'll see what happens...
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    I would like to start by saying that 6% in 45 minutes is not bad, because its the amoled screen thats sucking the battery anyways, regardless if you are texting or not. Also, the fact that cell standby is so high means that you get bad cell reception wherever you are. Bad cell reception = bad battery life. You could try going to a different radio (LG8 maybe). And I have no idea what mapservicesamsung is lmao.
    That's approximately 15 hours of texting on one charge. Not too shabby, actually.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Yes me too. But like I said, it reappears seconds later. And sorry, not rooted.
    I've noticed a lot of things running in the background of the o s as well but much of it does not affect battery life until it's actually called by an application. It's just hanging out in the fat ram chip that Samsung gave us, waiting to strike when called. I wouldn't kill or disable too many things as they could prove useful when you need them.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by trunkmonkey1972 View Post
    I've noticed a lot of things running in the background of the o s as well but much of it does not affect battery life until it's actually called by an application. It's just hanging out in the fat ram chip that Samsung gave us, waiting to strike when called. I wouldn't kill or disable too many things as they could prove useful when you need them.
    So how do I improve my battery life??!! -___-

    My battery has NEVER lasted me more than 1/2 a day worth (usually around 12 hrs is when it gets to 5% and I have to charge it).
  24. #24  
    Lolanerd's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sonic FreeGS3 0.0.8.1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    So how do I improve my battery life??!! -___-

    My battery has NEVER lasted me more than 1/2 a day worth (usually around 12 hrs is when it gets to 5% and I have to charge it).
    Next chance you get, when your battery is really low, go to Settings --> Battery. Click on "screen on" and see how long your screen has been on overall. If you have your screen on for like 4-5 hours (Jesus Christ), then that's surely why your battery life blows. Also, make sure you're using WiFi over 3g as much as possible. Along with bad reception, if you're not suffering from any of these issues, then maybe its just a bad battery? It's unlikely but there's always that one guy I guess.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Joe113's Avatar

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

    Default Re: Battery Life Tips & Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolanerd View Post
    Next chance you get, when your battery is really low, go to Settings --> Battery. Click on "screen on" and see how long your screen has been on overall. If you have your screen on for like 4-5 hours (Jesus Christ), then that's surely why your battery life blows. Also, make sure you're using WiFi over 3g as much as possible. Along with bad reception, if you're not suffering from any of these issues, then maybe its just a bad battery? It's unlikely but there's always that one guy I guess.
    Just charged it to 100% an hour ago.... so I will let you know how it goes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions