Disable Lock Screen Text Notification

jrmitchell72

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. Is there a way to disable the text notification on the lock screen? I have looked through the settings, but didn't find such a setting. I hate that it turns my screen on every time I receive a text. Not only is it wasting the battery, especially if the phone is in my pocket, but out of habit I always press the power button to turn on the screen to get my text...but all I end up doing is turning the screen off.

There must be a way to do this!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off notifications in your message settings, Facebook, etc. Just open the app, open settings, and uncheck notifications.

jrmitchell72

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
You can turn off notifications in your message settings, Facebook, etc. Just open the app, open settings, and uncheck notifications.

The only setting that I see in the native app is the one that turns on/off the sound and icon in the status bar. I don't want to turn off ALL of the notifications, just the one on the lock screen.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The only setting that I see in the native app is the one that turns on/off the sound and icon in the status bar. I don't want to turn off ALL of the notifications, just the one on the lock screen.

In your app drawer, open Messaging, go to open Settings, then uncheck Notifications (Notification settings). You'll also be able to make any other adjustments and changes.

jrmitchell72

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
In your app drawer, open Messaging, go to open Settings, then uncheck Notifications (Notification settings). You'll also be able to make any other adjustments and changes.

I will repeat, I DO NOT want to turn off all of the notifications. If I do as you say, my phone will not play a sound when I receive a message.

Let me ask, did you use your own recommendation to solve the same problem? If so, is the only solution to lose ALL notifications?

jrmitchell72

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I would also like to add that I don't mind the lock screen notification, but I do hate that the screen comes on with it. I just don't understand the point of this feature. Maybe it is a motion setting?

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I was having that same problem. My solution was partially Ntchwaidumela's (going into Messaging, go to open Settings, then uncheck Notifications). Then I installed Handcent and set up all the custom notifications. Of course I lost the ability to "Tap to top of list" and dial message contact right from the Messaging app. BUT, having the added flexability of Handcent (AND not having the message notification on turn on my screen) was worth more than losing those two functions.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I was having that same problem. My solution was partially Ntchwaidumela's (going into Messaging, go to open Settings, then uncheck Notifications). Then I installed Handcent and set up all the custom notifications. Of course I lost the ability to "Tap to top of list" and dial message contact right from the Messaging app. BUT, having the added flexability of Handcent (AND not having the message notification on turn on my screen) was worth more than losing those two functions.

Yeah, I am considering going to Handcent. But I really like the auto-dial function in the native app. One would think that Samsung would have had a way to disable the function in the lockscreen.

I even tried changing the lockscreen security, but the screen still turns on.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I will repeat, I DO NOT want to turn off all of the notifications. If I do as you say, my phone will not play a sound when I receive a message.

Let me ask, did you use your own recommendation to solve the same problem? If so, is the only solution to lose ALL notifications?

To be honest, I've been using GO SMS Pro (which is free) since I switched to Android. So I've never had that problem because I can customize my notifications. My recommendation was offered through my trying it on my device to see if there was a solution that might be helpful. Someone more knowledgeable than me might have a better solution, but I've tried a couple of things without being able to turn off all the notification sounds I can only suggest that you install GO SMS Pro or Handcent or something like those and see if that works for you.

jrmitchell72

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
By the way, I can call the sender from their message with GO SMS Pro. I just have to tap on the little phone icon.

Thanks. It just sucks that we have to lose some of the functionality of this phone to fix another EASILY fixable problem. Why Samsung thought that we needed the screen to light up a dark room every time a text is received is beyond me.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

You can dial your contact directly from Handcent using the little phone icon in the upper right corner. :)

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
@Mobdad - Yup, I call my contacts all the time from Handcent in a text message. I meant to say, by going to Handcent you lose the ability to directly call your contact by simply raising the phone to your face :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma