Youtube app issue "Connection to sever lost"

frohoss

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Sprint S3 youtube app won't work for me. Says "connection to server lost" when I try to watch any youtube video. I also have a sprint nexus and the youtube app works just fine side by side my S3.

This issue is only arises when using 3G. If I'm using wifi youtube app works fine.

I've cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled updates, rebooted, reinstalled updates etc... Everything is fully updated...nothing i do seems to work. I'm not sure why but I can't uninstall the youtube app...no option to do it.

Anyone have any bright ideas for a fix?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's your nexus using 3g as well? Or is it on 4g when connecting? Sprint 3g is just way too slow for YouTube on any of my phones. Including my old nexus. 4g was fine though.

frohoss

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It's your nexus using 3g as well? Or is it on 4g when connecting? Sprint 3g is just way too slow for YouTube on any of my phones. Including my old nexus. 4g was fine though.

3g. No 4g in my area.

I should point out that my youtube app has always worked with 3g since i got the S3 on the US release date. It only has stopped working within the last week or two.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
3g. No 4g in my area.

I should point out that my youtube app has always worked with 3g since i got the S3 on the US release date. It only has stopped working within the last week or two.

Perhaps you 3g has gotten a lot slower within the past week or so. Maybe another LG8 update bug.... I wish I could help... But in two years, I've never seen YouTube on 3g no matter what phone I used. I've always had to use 4g.

turp415

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is currently upgrading towers all over the country for 4g lte. They may be working in your area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Swanee02

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Frohoss, I was having this exact same problem on my S3 for the last few weeks. I tried everything, including a full reset. What finally fixed it, I believe, was updating my profile. YouTube works just fine now after having done this.

frohoss

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Frohoss, I was having this exact same problem on my S3 for the last few weeks. I tried everything, including a full reset. What finally fixed it, I believe, was updating my profile. YouTube works just fine now after having done this.

Thanks for your input. I've done everything imaginable, nothing seems to help. I couldn't even guess how many times I've updated my profile, prl, samsung software, firmware... Etc. Over the past coulle of weeks. Gggrrrrr!

frohoss

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: So all of a sudden my youtube app decides it wants to start working again today on 3g. Not complaining just wondering why it took a two week hiatus from not wanting to work at all.

I guess my advice to anyone that encounters this issue is to wait and ride it out for a couple of weeks and hope it starts working out of the blue :confused:

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. I hope it's case closed!

Xeriffs

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
******FIX********
I tried many other acclaimed fixes, but to no avail. Ended up finding the solution myself. I had the issue on wifi but not data. My problem turned out to be my phones DNS settings. Go to settings then navigate to your home wifi network. Press and hold on your network, then modify network config. Then change your IP settings from dchp to static. Then you will need to scroll down to DNS 1 & 2. I changed mine to the public Google DNS services. The Dns server addresses are as follows:
&
Enter these and hit save. This did the trick for me! I also had issues with Google play updating and installing apps on my home net but worked fine elsewhere. This got rid of this issue as well. Note: these instructions are for the Galaxy S3. If you need help, just reply but try to use your on wits and think for yourself like I did. Just use my instructions as a guideline.
I'm glad I could help!
Good luck everyone!

monkeydog

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem on wifi connection as well sitting in my house. Any ideas?

SGS3 running Jelly Bean on Sprint.

This happened to me. 3G worked and other wifi networks worked, but not my home wifi. I "forgot" my home network and then reconnected to it and it started working again.

annie_loves_you

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone brand new yesterday.
I Thought i might want to watch a video or two on this whole new phone but it keeps saying "connection to server lost. Tap again to retry" and this is really making me sad because i really like this phone and i have great connection to internet so i dont understand this. Please help me :( my phone is also an htc one s.

Last edited:

chbartel

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
this works for me for about 3-4 hours(changing the DNS to google dns or also to opendns servers), then reverts back to not working. I originally also had a problem downloading updates from the google play store...keeping these dns settings still has that problem fixed, but not the youtube issue.

I have gone to my kids school tonight for basketball--connecting to their wifi and youtube works, but here at home on my brand new 5g high-end netgear router it won't work!

So, to get youtube working again, I have to delete my wireless connections saved on my phone, reconnect, then manually edit and change the dns server to something besides my "normal" ones(which is comcast), then it works. I don't know how long it will continue to work tonight.

Also, what is strange is, I had already changed my DNS to point to Googles, but I still had to physically change it on my phone...only then did youtube start working again(or allow me to download app updates from google store).

Anyone have ideas here? it has to be something to do with the TCP/IP stack possibly on the phones being corrupted?

Also, this happens on all android phones I have at my house. This includes two Galaxy SII's and two brand new Samsung Note 2's...I think this all started possibly within the past week, as I had been watching videos fine on my note 2 since I bought it 6-8 weeks ago.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
No real solutions yet, eh? Bummer.

My S3 was absolutely fine until I formatted the phone to factory a little earlier in the week. Afterwards, it wouldn't even connect to my router until I specified an IP address. Now, everything is working fine except for the YouTube app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax