Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Question Youtube app issue "Connection to sever lost"

Sprint S3 youtube app won't work for me. Says "connection to server lost" when I try to watch any youtube video. I also have a sprint nexus and the youtube app works just fine side by side my S3.

This issue is only arises when using 3G. If I'm using wifi youtube app works fine.

I've cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled updates, rebooted, reinstalled updates etc... Everything is fully updated...nothing i do seems to work. I'm not sure why but I can't uninstall the youtube app...no option to do it.

Anyone have any bright ideas for a fix?
    Retired Ambassador

It's your nexus using 3g as well? Or is it on 4g when connecting? Sprint 3g is just way too slow for YouTube on any of my phones. Including my old nexus. 4g was fine though.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Default Re: Youtube app issue "Connection to sever lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    It's your nexus using 3g as well? Or is it on 4g when connecting? Sprint 3g is just way too slow for YouTube on any of my phones. Including my old nexus. 4g was fine though.

I should point out that my youtube app has always worked with 3g since i got the S3 on the US release date. It only has stopped working within the last week or two.
    Last edited by frohoss; 08-11-2012 at 11:50 AM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Surely I'm not the only one on here with this issue?

"Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?" Anyone?"
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by frohoss View Post
    3g. No 4g in my area.

I should point out that my youtube app has always worked with 3g since i got the S3 on the US release date. It only has stopped working within the last week or two.
    Perhaps you 3g has gotten a lot slower within the past week or so. Maybe another LG8 update bug.... I wish I could help... But in two years, I've never seen YouTube on 3g no matter what phone I used. I've always had to use 4g.

Sprint is currently upgrading towers all over the country for 4g lte. They may be working in your area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turp415 View Post
    Sprint is currently upgrading towers all over the country for 4g lte. They may be working in your area.
    Could be true but why would my sprint nexus youtube app still work on 3g and not my S3?

Quote Originally Posted by frohoss View Post
    Could be true but why would my sprint nexus youtube app still work on 3g and not my S3?
    Take a look at your phone information and see what type of signal you are getting. You could be on EDVO on one phone and Ehrpd on the other. That will make a difference as well

I'm losing service atm as well and cannot sync, so sprint must be doing something

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Wow, i actually have 2 bars of 3g now, smh. Idk what's up with their service tonight

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    Take a look at your phone information and see what type of signal you are getting. You could be on EDVO on one phone and Ehrpd on the other. That will make a difference as well
    Well both my S3 and Nexus are EDVO

Frohoss, I was having this exact same problem on my S3 for the last few weeks. I tried everything, including a full reset. What finally fixed it, I believe, was updating my profile. YouTube works just fine now after having done this.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swanee02 View Post
    Frohoss, I was having this exact same problem on my S3 for the last few weeks. I tried everything, including a full reset. What finally fixed it, I believe, was updating my profile. YouTube works just fine now after having done this.
    Thanks for your input. I've done everything imaginable, nothing seems to help. I couldn't even guess how many times I've updated my profile, prl, samsung software, firmware... Etc. Over the past coulle of weeks. Gggrrrrr!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

UPDATE: So all of a sudden my youtube app decides it wants to start working again today on 3g. Not complaining just wondering why it took a two week hiatus from not wanting to work at all.

I guess my advice to anyone that encounters this issue is to wait and ride it out for a couple of weeks and hope it starts working out of the blue

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. I hope it's case closed!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I have this problem on wifi connection as well sitting in my house. Any ideas?

SGS3 running Jelly Bean on Sprint.

Talking Re: Youtube app issue "Connection to sever lost"

******FIX********
    I tried many other acclaimed fixes, but to no avail. Ended up finding the solution myself. I had the issue on wifi but not data. My problem turned out to be my phones DNS settings. Go to settings then navigate to your home wifi network. Press and hold on your network, then modify network config. Then change your IP settings from dchp to static. Then you will need to scroll down to DNS 1 & 2. I changed mine to the public Google DNS services. The Dns server addresses are as follows:
    &
    Enter these and hit save. This did the trick for me! I also had issues with Google play updating and installing apps on my home net but worked fine elsewhere. This got rid of this issue as well. Note: these instructions are for the Galaxy S3. If you need help, just reply but try to use your on wits and think for yourself like I did. Just use my instructions as a guideline.
    I'm glad I could help!
    Good luck everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by zkam View Post
    I have this problem on wifi connection as well sitting in my house. Any ideas?

SGS3 running Jelly Bean on Sprint.
    This happened to me. 3G worked and other wifi networks worked, but not my home wifi. I "forgot" my home network and then reconnected to it and it started working again.
    Longtime Palm and webOS user. Still bummed. But Android is pretty nice.

I got my phone brand new yesterday.
    I Thought i might want to watch a video or two on this whole new phone but it keeps saying "connection to server lost. Tap again to retry" and this is really making me sad because i really like this phone and i have great connection to internet so i dont understand this. Please help me my phone is also an htc one s.
    Last edited by annie_loves_you; 12-13-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Thanked by:
    GeWiz 

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

this works for me for about 3-4 hours(changing the DNS to google dns or also to opendns servers), then reverts back to not working. I originally also had a problem downloading updates from the google play store...keeping these dns settings still has that problem fixed, but not the youtube issue.

I have gone to my kids school tonight for basketball--connecting to their wifi and youtube works, but here at home on my brand new 5g high-end netgear router it won't work!

So, to get youtube working again, I have to delete my wireless connections saved on my phone, reconnect, then manually edit and change the dns server to something besides my "normal" ones(which is comcast), then it works. I don't know how long it will continue to work tonight.

Also, what is strange is, I had already changed my DNS to point to Googles, but I still had to physically change it on my phone...only then did youtube start working again(or allow me to download app updates from google store).

Anyone have ideas here? it has to be something to do with the TCP/IP stack possibly on the phones being corrupted?

Also, this happens on all android phones I have at my house. This includes two Galaxy SII's and two brand new Samsung Note 2's...I think this all started possibly within the past week, as I had been watching videos fine on my note 2 since I bought it 6-8 weeks ago.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

No real solutions yet, eh? Bummer.

My S3 was absolutely fine until I formatted the phone to factory a little earlier in the week. Afterwards, it wouldn't even connect to my router until I specified an IP address. Now, everything is working fine except for the YouTube app.

I had issue with my S3 phone, videos on youtube app where not working , so my solution was Setting/more settings/mobile networks/access Point Names and there i selected the internet of my operator.

My issue was exactly that on my phone with H+ internet videos where not playing , saying that connection is lost or connection error. that was because the tick in APN'swhere set on WAP of my operator. Hope it helped someone....

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jevgeni Zubtsenko View Post
    I had issue with my S3 phone, videos on youtube app where not working , so my solution was Setting/more settings/mobile networks/access Point Names and there i selected the internet of my operator.

My issue was exactly that on my phone with H+ internet videos where not playing , saying that connection is lost or connection error. that was because the tick in APN'swhere set on WAP of my operator. Hope it helped someone....
    Thanx! Mine actually was a conglomeration of issues... My phone was rooted, but something was a tad bit wonky with it. It would reset/freeze and junk when viewing photos or doing anything off of the SD card. I blamed the BusyBox installation I updated right around the time that the problem started happening, so I basically restored my phone to factory settings (Settings > Backup & Restore), expecting to resolve the photos issue and keep root. It did neither. Gallery still crashed, I was left with only a pseudo-root, and now my previously configured WiFi access points weren't working, either.

I found that the WiFi issue was due to insufficient priveledges on the DHCP saved configs file (I can't remember where it was but maybe \System\etc\dhcpid or something), but I didn't even really care until I found out that I couldn't watch YouTube videos. But I couldn't change those privileges because I was unable to mount the system directory as writable due to the weird root issue. So I had to re-flash the teamwin root zip or something, which gave me root back. Then I was able to change the permissions, and then I was able to connect immediately to all of my saved WiFi access points.

Sheesh.

And the gallery issue? I had to get a new SD card. I guess I fell victim to the 0.01% of them that are faulty or something.

Thanks this helped my video issue for YouTube. (For any one who had that problem with the apps not able to be updated etc in the store, that problem went away after awhile. Supposedly, Sprint is updating the towers so it does depend on your area) or u can just try what Rhoda guy told us to do

I had the same problem with my nexus 4. I uninstalled current version then downloaded an older version -
    Worked for me

I tried downgrading all the way to Youtube 3.5.5 and still did not fix the problem.
    I have tried other things including changing DNS fields on my router, disabling wifi power save mode, clearing cache data, and even resetting the device to factory settings.
    Nothing seems to work so far ...
    Getting very frustrated ...

Any more ideas or suggestion?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast