Just rooted

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I took the plunge, and I gotta tell ya, I just rooted the Sammy, and I feel pretty good.
I didn't break it :D

So what do I do now? lol

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I took the plunge, and I gotta tell ya, I just rooted the Sammy, and I feel pretty good.
I didn't break it :D

So what do I do now? lol

Read.... There's a lot of good information out there. I also have no problems answering questions through either pm's or through gtalk. Hit me up and you'll be a pro in no time at all. :D

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations! Welcome to the beautiful and powerful darkside!

Now, you read and re-read. Eventually, you decide what you want to do, then cautiously execute it. Repeat after me:

"I am a concientious device owner. I acknowledge that my device and I are capable of more than is expected of commoners. I have chosen a different path than that a mere consumer, accepting responsibility for my actions and indulging in the rewards of my newfound enlightenment. With this power, I embrace the responsibility it carries. I hereby absolve my carrier of responsibility for my actions and forgive its representitives of their ignorance, as they do not obstruct me in my path. I promise to conduct due process of research in my install of new software, accepting and publishing bugs as they present themselves. I hold those who code their ideas in esteem and not fault, respecting their sense of benevolence. I shall not install ROM Manager, for it is the demon crutch of the weak and the swift vehicle to the state of brick. Should my path lead me to any sort of rapture, I promise to provide a logcat of the experience, denying no user or developer such blessing, in accordance with the GPL and those who revere it. nAndroid then Android always... mod on."

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Haha. Thanks guy.
Ive been reading, and I have the basic concept.
Ive titanium backed up
I got the ROM manager app.
I;ve downloaded a ROM that I think I will like. Its 680 megs. Does that sound right?
My question is, how do I install it?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Which Rom specifically? Im assuming you used cwm since thats in the instructions for how to root. Any ways. I am still a noob my self at rooting and flashing but I will tell you this...

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO... BACK UP, BACK UP AND BACK UP.

You must always remember to back up. I just forgot to back up. Everything went wrong and now Im emptying my entire phone all over again. :'(

Im not trying to scare you in anyway either. Its all actually quite simple. Im just an idiot that forgot to back up. So I now Im making it my duty to spread the Gospel to the people of the rooting community. Lol. Enjoy man.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Haha. Thanks guy.
Ive been reading, and I have the basic concept.
Ive titanium backed up
I got the ROM manager app.
I;ve downloaded a ROM that I think I will like. Its 680 megs. Does that sound right?
My question is, how do I install it?

IMO... You should avoid Rom Manager. Learn to do this through flashing in cwm or twrp. do not rely on Rom Manager as it's been known to mess things up.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Others may disagree, but I separate CWM recovery (a means to install a ROM) from ROM Manager (a means to download the wrong ROM and conveniently hose your phone). I recently rooted and ROM'd a SGSE4GT and installed an AOKP ROM that unwittingly came with ROM Manager. I deleted that mess before returning it to the owner, keeping the ROM and stellar recovery from the same group and mitigating his self-destruction. I humbly suggest that you do the same with your new root powers.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
http://www.teamvenum.com ? View topic - [ROM] Wicked Sensations v1.0 SGS3 Rom

Iwiped the data, factory reset, and now it looks like it did right out of the box.
I've put the 680 meg rar file in the phone, not the sd card. How do I get the phone to install that rom?

You don't want to flash whatever it is you put on your phone. You do not flash tar files with cwm. You need a rom in a zip file.

What version of cwm do you have? By the way the wicked sensations is a GREAT choice to start with. :) I am about to ad a few more battery mods to the thread here on AC in a few minutes. If you got the file from our website it should be a zip not a rar.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't want to flash whatever it is you put on your phone. You do not flash tar files with cwm. You need a rom in a zip file.
Agreed. And specifically a flashable zip. Also, given the size of these things, be sure to get one that has a checkable hash, such as md5 or sha1.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The actions that Skunkape60 mentions above are to be carried out in CWM custom recovery, not while booted into Android. And he means "Wipe" not some german preposition. :D Alternatively, one can use ODIN or Heimdall, if the file is in the proper format.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The file is a flashable zip. I know the rom well. It would really help to know which version of cwm he has. one will read both the external and internal sdcard. one will only read the external and another only the internal. So it really would be beneficial for someone trying to help if they knew what he had.

Not to mention the fact that cwm does not read extfat file format. so if he has the sd card formated in exfat he will never find the rom with cwm.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to smash this phone into a thousand pieces.
I cant get any backups to work. After I rooted, downloaded a rom, put the rom on the sd card, factory reset my phone, and thats where it all went wrong.
volume down, home button, power button should allow me to boot to the rar file rom, but it doesnt
Uggh.
Thanks for the help guys, maybe I'll try again tomorrow, maybe not.
Frustrated atm
I'm not usually this incompetent. And for someone who is computer savvy as myself, it'
s doubly frustrating.
Doesn't help that I'm new to android. My last phone was a palm pre ( that was the next big thing) uggh. That didn't work out too well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy