Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Jelly Bean

With the International version of the GS3 getting Jelly Bean next week, how long will it take Sprint to us Jelly Bean? Here is a link saying that the International version will be getting the update next week.

Exclusive: International Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update coming next week | Android Central

Default Re: Sprint Jelly Bean

Could be weeks, or months.. All depends on how long Sprint feels they need to run tests on the OS to satisfy their requirements. Going off Sprint & Sammys combined past history of updates, it maybe a while.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Retired Ambassador

agreed X2
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I agree with you all. It could be a while.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

Maybe by Christmas? I wouldn't even blink at not getting it until after the new year.

Sent from my GS3

I just had some jelly beans at work. Gotta love secretary's and thier candy bowls!

Sprint has been keeping the phone up to date so far. I don't think it will be too long.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

ROM
    Rasbean Jelly/Trinity

Would be nice to have some jellybeans for dessert after my thanksgiving dinner

Sent from my Awesome Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2 baby.

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught460 View Post
    Sprint has been keeping the phone up to date so far. I don't think it will be too long.
    This is normal Sprint/Sammy new phone coverage... They did the same with the earlier Galaxy S lineup, first few months pushing out maintenance updates/fixes/patches but when it came to waiting at that time upgrading from Eclair to Froyo it took a long time before Sprint finally approved a finished build. Once it was approved and pushed out it lasted only a few days then it was pulled for issues, updated/patched and released a month later.

So why everyone hopes to get JB quickly I will be really surprised if it does happen fast considering past history.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

ROM
    CM│9.1.0

The International announcement is a good start, the fact that JB is finally really on its way is pretty awesome..............there's been a good dose of development already (+ even more to come,) so getting official Jellybean is a big plus.........it'll be here eventually, it'll be worth it when it does!
    Don't forget to CLICK THANK YOU IF SOMEONE WAS HELPFUL IN ENHANCING YOUR DEVICE!
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    This is normal Sprint/Sammy new phone coverage... They did the same with the earlier Galaxy S lineup, first few months pushing out maintenance updates/fixes/patches but when it came to waiting at that time upgrading from Eclair to Froyo it took a long time before Sprint finally approved a finished build. Once it was approved and pushed out it lasted only a few days then it was pulled for issues, updated/patched and released a month later.

So why everyone hopes to get JB quickly I will be really surprised if it does happen fast considering past history.
    LOL. And I remember all the whining that went on... Oh My God! Another day went by without my update!!!! OMG Samsung is the worst... OMG Sprint is even worse than Samsung. I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG!!! I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER SPRINT PHONE!!!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

galaxy s2 fix for ics coming out already. 3 modem updates. Normal procedure or not I say we get JB fast and probably before any other US carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    galaxy s2 fix for ics coming out already. 3 modem updates. Normal procedure or not I say we get JB fast and probably before any other US carrier
    It was because of the ICS update to my S2 that pushed me to go ahead and get the S3. I got the update and it borked, or shall I say...BORKED quite a few things including my batt life. It wasn't terrible but noticable in every sense of the word. Apps didn't work/load right, multiple force closures....anywho....I hope we get JB soon, but I want it to work, not half baked.

I was under the impression that the carriers are the ones who request the update from the manufacturers. So I would say that Sprint will want to have their flagship phone updated to Jelly Bean.

I think that it will be easier to get the phone updated to JB from ICS than it is going from GB to ICS. Right now, ICS is running great so I want Sprint to take their time and have a smooth JB update. I know several people who are really having battery issues on the S2 ICS update.

I read that Google is cracking down on the leaks because the carriers are getting too many complaints from users who flash leaked builds so Sprint and the other carriers may not be tolerating the leaks ROMS like they have in the past. So we may not know anything until Sprint posts the update.

TBH I think we will have the JB update by Christmas at the latest which is not that far away.

Maybe before new iphone comes out. I hope. Please.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    Maybe before new iphone comes out. I hope. Please.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
    Saying iphone in these forums is fightin' words!

Global Posts
    457 Global Posts

CDMA carriers are the worse when it comes to updates.. Knowing Sprint it might be a while.. not longer than VZW

It took almost a solid seven months for the GS2 to get ICS so I'm thinking early 2013 for the GS3 to get JB.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Samsung Epic 4G - Palm Pre - Motorola Q - PCD XV6700/PPC-6700 - Hitachi SH-P300 - Sony Ericsson T608 - Samsung SPH-N200
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I think we will see the update before the end of the year. Maybe before Thanksgiving. But after this update, it will be a while before we another big update, if we get another. I think the GS3 is able to get updated to Key Lime or whatever the next one is. But that's a whole other discussion which would take up another thread.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

For those of us in major markets, what difference does it really make since we're struggling along with 1G and 2G (and once in a while 3G) speeds, no matter what OS we're running. The transformation to Vision Network has been extremely slow and messy. It's scatterboard logic. Why would you not upgrade your largest markets first? Sprint says it's because of the great number of towers in these large markets. Duh! The more towers the greater number of customers (many of whom are ready to jump ship, if they haven't already). This not only affects phones, it also affects air cards, hot spots, etc. But Sprint chose to upgrade smaller markets first. I was raised to tackle the difficult work first, then wind down to the easiest at the end of a job.

I know we all want the latest OS ASAP. And, in their efforts to appease (and keep/attract) customers, I believe Sprint and Samsung will get Jelly Bean out very quickly. Perhaps even within a month of the European release, especially if Sprint really does get the Note 2. But it really doesn't matter much to the many of us who can't utilize the benefits of the latest and greatest if we can't get on the network half the time (and timing out requests when we finally do).

These are just some of my thoughts. Fell free to comment, tear them apart, or whatever.
    Thanked by:
    derek5l, Gator352 and droid976 like this.

Between December and February.

Sent from my SGS3!

Between 1 week and the heat death of the universe. Give or take.

I hope you are all wrong. I unrooted from CM10 yesterday in hopes of JB being announced next week for Sprint sometime in September. If nothing is said next week, will root again and go back to CM10, period. The GS2 from Sprint took 10 months to get ICS and that is unacceptable when JB is here.

Just my 2 cents,

Ian B

I would think probably by November. Samsung has had the JB for a while now and if it's ready to be released for the international version it can't be that far behind for U.S. carriers.

I do wonder why it takes so long for carriers to release these updates. I mean, what exactly do they need to test that takes so long? I know there's different frequencys on the radios and there's the CDMA an GSM versions, but isn't the SIII pretty much the same on all the US carriers. I believe it's the same hardware and software for all the U.S. carriers.

Although with this patent win for Apple I don't know what this means for SIII owners and future updates.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast