Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Force Roam App

I came from the sprint optimus s, that someone made a app to force roaming when not able to get good service.

Is there anything like that for the new Galaxy S3?

At work theres really bad service, and i would like to force my phone into roam

Default Re: Force Roam App

I haven't personally tested it on the sIII, but Roam Control is a pretty good. they pulled it from the market but you can find it here Roam Control | Making Android phones usable since 2010

Supported Phones

HTC phones on the Sprint network (unrooted and rooted)
    Rooted Samsung phones on the Sprint network
    Note: The Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC EVO LTE are not supported at this moment, sorry!!
    Rooted Nexus S 4G on the Sprint network
    Rooted Motorola phones on the Sprint network
    May support rooted HTC and Samsung phones on other CDMA networks
    Note: May lock you into roaming with Samsung phones on US Cellular, email me for details.

ROM
    Stock Rooted Jellybean

As of 9/27/2012, Roam Control now supports rooted Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's awesome, thanks alot man for the update.

Just purchased the license
    Last edited by ryandubbz; 09-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Let us know how it works. I don't pay for much, but when I do, I like to know it works
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

this app works great, Im in a place where i normally go in and out of roam, and i forced it to roam, and now im sitting at full 3g roam bars. No more battery drain. Just have to remember to put the phone back in auto when out of the roam area. Definately worth buying
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ryandubbz View Post
    That's awesome, thanks alot man for the update.

Just purchased the license
    Where do you get it. I have tried to get it from the play store but can't. It won't show up.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Roam Control | Making Android phones usable since 2010

They took it out of the play store.
    It probably violated some sort of obscure rule.
    I can see how sprint wouldn't want people forcing their phones to use another network. That's gotta cost sprint $$ somehow.

EDIT: It says on the website "Note: The Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC EVO LTE are not supported at this moment, sorry!!", so I dunno
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dad2noah View Post
    Roam Control | Making Android phones usable since 2010

They took it out of the play store.
    It probably violated some sort of obscure rule.
    I can see how sprint wouldn't want people forcing their phones to use another network. That's gotta cost sprint $$ somehow.

EDIT: It says on the website "Note: The Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC EVO LTE are not supported at this moment, sorry!!", so I dunno
    It worked for me but the Verizon 3g is just as slow as Sprint. I got 120 kbs on both

So in order for this to work, you have to be rooted and you must purchase?
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by 30glock View Post
    So in order for this to work, you have to be rooted and you must purchase?
    Yes...

I finally downloaded this and paid for it yesterday, because I get basically no sprint reception in my office. But after forcing roam, I don't get any reception at all. I might be experiencing the problem described here:

My phone does not get any signal when in “roam only” mode. | Roam Control

▶ My phone does not get any signal when in “roam only” mode.
    Chances are you have a Samsung phone. Samsung phones have different behavior - when in "roam only", they only roam on the 800mhz frequency band. There are areas in the US that are 1900mhz only, which means that Samsung phones will not get a signal in those areas.
    Has anyone had success using this app in the Chicago area?

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rooted)

Just saw a video that lets you force roam the sprint note 2 and gs3 without being rooted. There are a couple steps but they are easy. Checkout qbking77 website or youtube channel. Going to try it later today. At least it will work without rooting since I'm not doing it yet.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    Just saw a video that lets you force roam the sprint note 2 and gs3 without being rooted. There are a couple steps but they are easy. Checkout qbking77 website or youtube channel. Going to try it later today. At least it will work without rooting since I'm not doing it yet.
    I tried his method and not having any luck, not even sure it is working fully, I wrote this over on his ytube channel:

It took a few tries to get the PRL to say 1337 in the About Device Status, but got it there. I notice the network still reads "Sprint" and Roaming reads "Not roaming" on that same status page. I still only get a slip 1 to 3 bars on my GN2. What do you think is going on?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s ->
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Anyone know if there's an app out there anywhere that will work on a non-rooted Galaxy S3?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by aellenb View Post
    Anyone know if there's an app out there anywhere that will work on a non-rooted Galaxy S3?

Thanks!!
    I would say there is no app that can force roam for a non rooted phone since it messes with the cell connection.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Roam Control works for me around Washington, DC. Only real problem is that in those spots where Sprint has a lousy signal, Verizon isn't much better.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Here's the problem with Roam Control and the Galaxy S3, it doesn't actually 'force roam' the device. What it does is block the PCS band (aka 1900mhz) so the phone is forced to search the 800mhz band that Verizon uses. The problem is that, in many metro areas, Verizon doesn't deploy 3G at 800mhz, so you're likely only going to get 1x data.

There must be some way to change the roam setting on a rooted GS3, right?!?

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Does anyone have any other apps that will force roam on a rooted Sprint GS3?!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Does anyone have any other apps that will force roam on a rooted Sprint GS3?!
    I wish I knew of another app. I don't think one exists right now, although I'm pretty shocked someone hasn't figured it out yet, seeing how popular this phone is!

Is this something that is downloaded and flashed from the sd card? Or should you download it from the site straight to your phone?

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Quote Originally Posted by phippsy84 View Post
    Is this something that is downloaded and flashed from the sd card? Or should you download it from the site straight to your phone?
    It's an APK.... download the APK, and put it on your internal card or external SD card. Then install it from the SD card and you're good!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    It's an APK.... download the APK, and put it on your internal card or external SD card. Then install it from the SD card and you're good!
    Cool. Figured I'll check it out because my Sprint services doesn't get the strongest signal at places. If the verizon signal works better and this app works awesome if not oh well.

I actually just forced roam on my phone without root or an app. I have the Verizon PRL profile and I just manually tell my phone to use it.. Then it uses Verizon and roams with them. When I am done and want to use Sprint's network I just go to my phone status and update the PRL and it will go back to Sprint. I simply just swap the Verizon PRL in when I want to use the roam and bam.

I would host the file here.. But.. Is it against forum rules? Don't think so but I don't want to be banned.

edit: as you can see they were funny with the PRL number lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Last edited by Almeuit; 02-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast