What's the real scoop on GS III reception?

Which has better reception?

• Total voters

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 4S on Sprint, wanting to try something different after being on Android (OG EVO, Nexus 4S) for a while.

With the iPhone 5 announcement pretty much falling flat for me, I'm looking to transition back to Android, and am trying to compare the EVO LTE and the GS III

I've looked at most of the stats and specs, trying to tease out the differences in terms of actual connectivity and function (not minor features).

I see the GS III can go both frequencies on WiFi (2.4 and 5 compared to EVO's 2.4), but I've also seen that it may have shorter range and more drops on average compared to the EVO.

There seem to be some slight technological edges for the EVO with CDMA, but I'm not sure if I'm reading the specs correctly and coming to the right conclusions.

Finally, Samsung bears the cross of a bad reputation with radios overall.

So, experience-wise. How is the GS III with WiFi, Voice, and Data reception? If possible, compared to the EVO LTE? Any experiences with comparative LTE performance, particularly building penetration?

This is a major issue for me going forward, as my work takes me into a basement area with limited signal (1 bar 3G at most on iPhone 4S, often goes to non-3G data), and I want the phone that can pull signal and maintain connections and data speed the best. Same goes for other areas I work in and the WiFi signal, I need strong radios with good ability to pull signal without wasting battery.

Thanks.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an EVO LTE on its launch day. After 2 months i traded out for a GS3. Im happy with my decision.
In the past Samsung radios/antennas have not been quite as good as the HTC devices. With that said i rooted and played with a lot of radios on my Epic Touch, GS2 device. I did notice a lot of differences between different leaked build radios.. But once i found one that worked well with my device overall it rocked.
I will say with my EVO LTE i had many issues with data switching from 1x, EVDO, LTE. Im in Dallas, an LTE market and often i found my device stuck on 1x. I am convinced its a radio issue that HTC needs to address. I also get about 15-20megs down at my apt. While on WiFi AND with my stereo bluetooth heads on that is cut to 3-6 megs. If i stop playing music the WiFi speeds go back up. That shouldnt happen but it did..

The first week i went to my GS3 i noticed improved LTE connectivity, beter overall 3G data speeds.
Both seem to have good signal strength, no dropped calls and no missed calls.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used the evo so I won't participate in the poll. However I have had absolutely no issues with signal strength on my gs3.

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
The evo has2.5\5 ghz wifi, I've had no issues with connectivity, but if your in an are with no data, well connectivity issues will happen, as for the 1x sticking for the last poster, that may have been due to the LTE being installed in his area causing a problem

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The evo has2.5\5 ghz wifi, I've had no issues with connectivity, but if your in an are with no data, well connectivity issues will happen, as for the 1x sticking for the last poster, that may have been due to the LTE being installed in his area causing a problem

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

It does? Cool. The site I had taken that info from specifically called out the GS3's use of 2.4/55 GHz and left the EVO with only 2.4 listed.

alhc78

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I switched form s iPhone 4 to the Galaxy s3 and I love the phone but I get horrible reception vs my iPhone. I'm going to switch out my SIM tomorrow ( AT&T rep is convinced that will fix the problem) we shall see if that helps.

Sent from my the Beautiful Galaxy s3 thats in my very happy hand :^)

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I think it's gonna depend on your area. Different areas have different coverage and signal strength. My area sucks until Sprint upgrades the network. Two states over can have a completely different experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

7starmarc

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it's gonna depend on your area. Different areas have different coverage and signal strength. My area sucks until Sprint upgrades the network. Two states over can have a completely different experience.

Of course, but I'm talking about head to head, in the same location/conditions, which one, if any, performs better consistently.

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Wifi for me is alot slower than the wife's evo lte. I'm getting about 9 mbps while she is getting about 15. More than 1 results also. I'm wondering if it's my phone or if that is a slight down fall with the phone?

hangnaround

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Awful awful awful wifi and cellular reception. Best yet was older phones like lg and blackberry. Efforts taken away from care of antennas. Manufactures Know the bulk of their customers live in cities plastered with cell towers so they cut antennas down to nothing.

epic210

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have alot of issue with my LTE on my GS3. I could have a good connection with about 4-6 bars on 4g and all of a sudden the signal will stop and kick me back to 3g. The new lvp71013 update is suppose to enhance LTE connectivity so whenever I get the OTA, I'll update you on my connectivity issue. I do have alot of problems with my 3g as well, to where my bars under the 3g icon wont light up at all even though Im in San Antonio and the reception "should" be great here. It could be the network or the phone, not too positive on that. My GS3 is a great phone but my only frustration is my connectivity problem. Try checking the GS3 forums for Att, Verizon and Tmobile because it could just be this sorry ass Sprint network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non