Anyone using Ting?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting Ting as my new carrier and was wondering if anyone here uses it?

For anyone wondering: Ting runs on Sprint's network and is the first reseller to have LTE as well (they get Sprint's 1x, 2G, 3G and LTE networks all to work with their phones). They sell a Galaxy S III. LTE

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What is ting? Must be a local carrier for you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like they charge per minute on phone calls, and charge for volume on data usage and texting. I would be very careful. Often, the marketing sounds better than the actual result.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like they charge per minute on phone calls, and charge for volume on data usage and texting. I would be very careful. Often, the marketing sounds better than the actual result.

I know right! If you don't watch out with these new carriers, the bill might "ting" a little....

MacWhisperer

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recent convert to Ting (have been with them for 2 months) and am extremely satisfied so far. I don't use a lot (500 minutes, 100MB), and my bill has been $19.86/month after taxes. You have to pay full price for the phone, because there's no contract, but the monthly savings is huge (for me anyways). They have a savings calculator that will tell you how much you would save with them (or will also tell you if you'd be better off with your current plan). The calculator takes into account the cost of your new phone. Personally, I'm saving over $900 over 2 years even after buying a Samsung Galaxy S II from them. Check it out at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fting.com%2Fcalculator&token=zPbKBIA5

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No, they're a national (U.S.) carrier. They run on Sprint's network. Sprint has a lot of MVNO's that run on their Network: Ting, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Everywhere you can get Sprint, you can get Ting (and Sprint let's them use the LTE network as well)

No wonder Sprint's data speed is so bad. Ting, Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile are sucking the life from their network bandwidth. :D

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
No wonder Sprint's data speed is so bad. Ting, Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile are sucking the life from their network bandwidth. :D

This is part of it but it's also because of the crappy spectrum they're stuck on. Most of their network is on 1900-2400 range. That range doesn't travel very far or go through walls/objects particularly well. Verizon is mostly in the 700's. Sprint will be moving (some services) into the 800's soon as they're moving Nextel's left over walkie-talkie crap off that and on to CDMA. This will make an enormous difference.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is part of it but it's also because of the crappy spectrum they're stuck on. Most of their network is on 1900-2400 range. That range doesn't travel very far or go through walls/objects particularly well. Verizon is mostly in the 700's. Sprint will be moving (some services) into the 800's soon as they're moving Nextel's left over walkie-talkie crap off that and on to CDMA. This will make an enormous difference.

Actually, the services aren't "moving" per se, and it's not some services; it's all services - 1x, EVDO, and LTE. All of their services will operate on both the 800MHz and 1900MHz spectrum, which actually gives users the best of both worlds - the increased bandwidth/throughput of 1900MHz for people close to the tower, and the increased distance and building penetration of 800MHz for the less-fortunate. Wimax is the only thing that operates at 2400MHz, and that's only because that's Clearwire's spectrum, not Sprint's. As far as Clearwire is concerned, they'll actually be launching their own LTE network in the 2400-2600MHz range, which Sprint may use to supplement their LTE coverage, which would cover all their bases - low frequency, upper-mid frequency, and high frequency LTE. That would mean lots of happy customers for Sprint.

But yes, the extra 800MHz spectrum will make a huge difference, especially for folks in hard-to-penetrate office buildings or houses.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the services aren't "moving" per se, and it's not some services; it's all services - 1x, EVDO, and LTE. All of their services will operate on both the 800MHz and 1900MHz spectrum, which actually gives users the best of both worlds - the increased bandwidth/throughput of 1900MHz for people close to the tower, and the increased distance and building penetration of 800MHz for the less-fortunate. Wimax is the only thing that operates at 2400MHz, and that's only because that's Clearwire's spectrum, not Sprint's. As far as Clearwire is concerned, they'll actually be launching their own LTE network in the 2400-2600MHz range, which Sprint may use to supplement their LTE coverage, which would cover all their bases - low frequency, upper-mid frequency, and high frequency LTE. That would mean lots of happy customers for Sprint.

But yes, the extra 800MHz spectrum will make a huge difference, especially for folks in hard-to-penetrate office buildings or houses.

And remember, this will only be for phones that have those specific radio settings. Any current phones (even LTE ones) will not work on the 800MHZ spectrum. They're currently (in hardware) set for 1900.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
And remember, this will only be for phones that have those specific radio settings. Any current phones (even LTE ones) will not work on the 800MHZ spectrum. They're currently (in hardware) set for 1900.

Actually, current phones like the Evo LTE and GS3 are capable of using 800MHz for 1x and 3G, just not LTE.

Skratte

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been on Ting for a few months now. 2 phones, one for me (SGS3), one for my daughter off at college. My bill for this month will be $33 dollars plus tax.
Ting has data, SMS, and calls broken out separately, with varying levels for each one. You pick and choose, and it can vary each month.
Ting runs on the Sprint network, 3G and LTE, when it comes. It also uses Verizon for roaming when you're out of network.

My daughters phone is a Nexus S 4G that I cloned over to Ting. Yes, they encourage that kind of thing.
They are in the alpha/beta stages of BYOD (right now Sprint devices, but hopefully any carrier later)

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Listened to a Ting advert on TWIT and started to check into this. Very promising but supposedly you cannot bring over all Sprint phones. I would love to bring my family plan over, but I am not sure that selling my Sprint GS3's and paying the cancellation fee (on 3 lines) would be offset by the minimal savings. Also, I havent found out whether or not free mobile-to-mobile is included as it is on Sprint. Most of our calls are to mobile, but when I add up all of the weekend and mobile calls on my Sprint bill, it is over 1000 minutes (thanks to my wife). We use over 3000 MB monthly in data, and that is with wifi at the job and home! Since I have a modest Sprint discount, I will have to wait until our contracts are over before I consider Ting unless they figure out how to port my Sprint GS3's over.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Listened to a Ting advert on TWIT and started to check into this. Very promising but supposedly you cannot bring over all Sprint phones. I would love to bring my family plan over, but I am not sure that selling my Sprint GS3's and paying the cancellation fee (on 3 lines) would be offset by the minimal savings. Also, I havent found out whether or not free mobile-to-mobile is included as it is on Sprint. Most of our calls are to mobile, but when I add up all of the weekend and mobile calls on my Sprint bill, it is over 1000 minutes (thanks to my wife). We use over 3000 MB monthly in data, and that is with wifi at the job and home! Since I have a modest Sprint discount, I will have to wait until our contracts are over before I consider Ting unless they figure out how to port my Sprint GS3's over.

Ting can bring any Sprint device over, the question is which devices do they ALLOW? And that answer is determined by Sprint, not Ting.

Sprint isn't going to allow their flagship phones and the iPhone to be flashed to Ting. It would take away some of their prime business.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I plug in all of our numbers and Ting is higher and they gave me this response:
Ting might treat you better, but we would not be cheaper than your current plan.

It seems to be for people that don't really use the phone, data or text a lot. We easily use 6Gs each month between the 3 phones and that is what set the price $30 more than what we currently pay.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I plug in all of our numbers and Ting is higher and they gave me this response:

It seems to be for people that don't really use the phone, data or text a lot. We easily use 6Gs each month between the 3 phones and that is what set the price $30 more than what we currently pay.

Yeah, family plans and plans that use a lot of data may not fare well with ting. But the no contract aspect and included hotspot is tempting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37