Major Battery issues? Please help!

acer1096xxx

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I am getting pretty bad battery drain whenever I use my phone. The phone goes into deep sleep just fine, and wakelocks don't seem to be an issue. Whenever I use any app though, the battery drains very quickly. Now obviously using the device will make the battery drain faster than it would when it's asleep, but I'm talking about losing 2-3% with only playing 2 minutes of Scrabble or checking a news feed for less than 3 minutes. My screen is on half brightness, but it's only been a week since this has really been noticeable.

I'm not sure if my battery is getting worse or something (although I try to not overcharge it and let it get to around 50% which I don't see why that would be an issue) or this is just an illusion and it's been happening the whole time.

Has anyone found any solutions or ideas to help conserve battery?

I'm stock, nonrooted, running the latest update. I never have any sync or push notifications active. I keep NFC on but I've had that on since day 1 and didn't seem to be an issue before. I restrict background data for the Play Store (tried that yesterday but didn't seem to help much), brightness is always around halfway, and I am using JuiceDefender pro. I have the Amazon App Store installed which I've considered to be an issue, but haven't seen many people complain about it recently and it doesn't seem to report anything on BetterBatteryStats.

Thanks, in advance
Acer

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the best thing to do is a check list of options.
1. The Amazon App Store is a battery hog, even though they said they fixed it.
2. Juice Defender doesn't help either and does drain the battery as well.
3. Are you in a bad reception area? If you go to settings, battery and see a high cell standby then your phone is struggling to find a good signal.
4. Could be an app you installed. Have you notices the battery drain since installing a certain app?
5. A setting was a culprit when I got the S3, which was this automatic connection thing that sprint added in the wireless & network menu. Go to settings, wireless & network section, select advanced, mobile networks. If the auto connection is checked uncheck it. It keeps the WiFi on in the background searching for a signal.
Hope any of the helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

zanderman112

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
BetterBatteryStats has been found to cause wake lock issues itself. Unless you need it, I'd uninstall it.

And check to see if you're on CDMA mode or LTE/CDMA mode. If its searching for LTE in an area it can't get it, that can cause battery drain.

Posted by Mr. Z's Galaxy S3.

Tanabe21

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
BetterBatteryStats has been found to cause wake lock issues itself. Unless you need it, I'd uninstall it.

And check to see if you're on CDMA mode or LTE/CDMA mode. If its searching for LTE in an area it can't get it, that can cause battery drain.

i seen a dramatic difference with this changed

acer1096xxx

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well the best thing to do is a check list of options.
1. The Amazon App Store is a battery hog, even though they said they fixed it.
2. Juice Defender doesn't help either and does drain the battery as well.
3. Are you in a bad reception area? If you go to settings, battery and see a high cell standby then your phone is struggling to find a good signal.
4. Could be an app you installed. Have you notices the battery drain since installing a certain app?
5. A setting was a culprit when I got the S3, which was this automatic connection thing that sprint added in the wireless & network menu. Go to settings, wireless & network section, select advanced, mobile networks. If the auto connection is checked uncheck it. It keeps the WiFi on in the background searching for a signal.
Hope any of the helps.

1. Is there any way to save app data without being rooted then because I want to uninstall it but I have a few apps from there that I don't want to lose my data. Also, I try to stop the app for the most part but that doesn't seem to do anything.

2. Turned it off, will see if that makes a difference.

3. Nah, overall cell standby doesn't seem to be an issue

4. I have thought about this but BetterBatteryStats didn't show anything consuming too much battery. (Btw zander, I know it does, I uninstalled it after a day)

5. Yeah I found out about that like the first week I got the phone so I know it isn't that.

@Zander, I'm on CDMA radios only.

zanderman112

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hrmm. Signed in to gTalk?

Running out of stuff lol.

All I can think of, since you aren't rooted is to(if you can't fix it otherwise):

1.) Flash CWM and make a nandroid(CWM won't stick after the reboot unless you actually root it). Then wipe data and go w/o some apps for a bit to see if it still drains.

Or just wipe data by itself and start over. I myself don't have any battery drain :(

One King

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problems with my s3 I cannot get a whole day on a charge.

jacksonista

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
This may not have anything to do with the issues you are experiencing, but it is worth a look. I am in no way a phone person, just when i have a problem I work at resolving it and learning by visiting boards and posting questions and experimenting. That being said, I noticed with my phone, a GS3, after only 2.5 weeks, the awesome battery life went to pot. At first when I got it, it felt like my GS2 on gingerbread. Lots of play, I didn't have to shut things down, and I had hours and hours without ever coming close to having my cell shut off. Not so on the GS3 anymore.

I could spend 15-20 minutes doing something, and watch as 5-10% drained away. What was going on?

I downloaded juice defender battery to completely shut things down when I was not looking at my phone. I've only used it for about 15 hours, so the jury is still out.

However, this is what I have discovered on my own and just fixed it early this morning.

When I am at home, I have a wi-fi connection, when I am at work I have wi-fi. What I became aware of yesterday was this: Once the wi-fi network is connected, my cell standby does not shut off. On my GS2, once the wi-fi was activated, the cell standby automatically became inactive, thereby not using two avenues for communication when it was not warranted.

What I did was check "airplane mode". This shut down the cell standby, but left my wi-fi connection alone, and bam! my battery has been lasting 3x as long as it was.

I also noticed that while at work (where I have a strong wi-fi signal as well), the "data roaming" warning kept popping up non-stop. My old GS2 never did this when I was at work and connected via wi-fi. I am anxious to try it out tomorrow and see if this does not put a stop to the "data roaming" warning I was getting as I imagine that it was killing my battery.

That being said, possibly ICS works differently, but, I cannot believe that it was intended that the phone would chew up battery life by attempting to communitcate through multiple channels when it didn't need to.

Like I said, I just realized yesterday that both the wi-fi and cell standby icons at the top were working simultaneously. The phone has been on since 4AM with a 100% charge and a full battery die-out. It is now 12:07PM, 8 hours later, and I have 78% on the phone with some use. This is a huge improvement.

I have heard that the battery monitoring programs can also eat up resources, but sometimes they may be helpful in pin-pointing problems. IN my case, I figured the wi-fi cell standby on my own, but who knows maybe juice defender will help more?

jacksonista

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind. The airplane mode makes it so no calls, updates, texts, etc. work. I guess you can go in and out of it, but it doesn't seem right to have to do this.

What I did yesterday after posting this was reset to factory, since I KNEW I had excellent battery life in the beginning. I installed about 7 of my most important apps and voila! I have had my phone unplugged since 4:30AM, its' now 7:55PM and I have 53%. My phone has been on standby 44% of this time, I have made a couple of 15 minute calls, myphone is on roaming all day at work, I have done some surfing, texting and this makes me very happy. From now on, when I install an application, it will be one at a time and I will give it 1-2 days to see how it affects my phone. If it's bad, I get rid of it, it is that simple.

I also read that unfortunately for Droid users, free games like Angry Birds use up to 44% of their power for ads alone while the actually game uses something like 18%, that is just plain wrong. So I only installed Angry Birds Space, which I paid money for. It is going to be hard installing one app at a time, but if it spares me my battery sadness, it'll be worth it.

I wish you the best.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, badly coded apps can wreak havoc on phones. My phone at this moment gets great battery life until I connect my BT. Seems to keep my phone awake which kills my battery on phone and battery on my BT headset which is annoying t won't last 6 hours and I can't seem to stop it.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
How ling did it take your s3 to get good battery bc my gfs gets horrible but she got it on tjisblast satersay

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol