Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: Manually Update from LG8 to LI3 (UNROOTED STOCK PHONES) Sprint Only

FYI, this update ENABLES the Sprint Connection Optimizer.
    I had this disabled prior to the update.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    I don't get an option to "update from SD card." I get an option to "update from external storage." If I choose that, I get a message in red: "Failed to mount blah blah."

I checked to make sure my SD card is mounted -- music files are all there, and they (and the zip file) show up in My Files.

Not sure what's going on.
    I am guessing your card is formatted with exfat file system. Both stock and custom recovery require that your sdcard be formatted to fat32 or fat16. The phone can read exfat, so your phone sees your music but recovery doesn't and you get the mount error. Do not format your sdcard with your phone. It automatically will format it to exfat. Download to your computer easeus partition master. You can get it free online. Format your SD card with it.

Yes update from external storage is correct. Sorry.... I will update my post.:rolleyes:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

I got the update installed just fine. Now let's test it out and see it work

Sprint Connection Optimizer...when I try accessing it says setup has not finished yet try again later

What exactly is the VPN Client added in the update?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Retired Ambassador

A virtual private network (VPN) is a technology for using the Internet or another intermediate network to connect computers to isolated remote computer networks that would otherwise be inaccessible. A VPN provides security so that traffic sent through the VPN connection stays isolated from other computers on the intermediate network. VPNs can connect individual users to a remote network or connect multiple networks together.
    For example, users may use a VPN to connect to their work computer terminal from home and access their email, files, images, etc.
    Through VPNs, users are able to access resources on remote networks, such as files, printers, databases, or internal websites. VPN remote users get the impression of being directly connected to the central network via a point-to-point link.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

You don't need stock recovery... as in previous updates, get the zip, reboot to CWM, apply the update the WITHOUT REBOOTING, apply the "root from recovery" zip file, and then reboot... You will have an updated phone with root and cwm
    Thanked by:

Do you have to change the name of the file or unzip it?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence76taylor View Post
    Do you have to change the name of the file or unzip it?
    Do not unzip the file and I think you should also leave the name unchanged. You don't flash anything in recovery that isn't zipped.

Ok. Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

One more thing, if it going to work you get a status bar on the bottom right? I tried it a couple of times, zipped and unzipped, but it just shows the android with no status bar.

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, and I made sure it was on root menu of external sd card. I did use my phone to download it, maybe that was the problem.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Retired Ambassador

Ok. Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

One more thing, if it going to work you get a status bar on the bottom right? I tried it a couple of times, zipped and unzipped, but it just shows the android with no status bar.

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Oh, and I made sure it was on root menu of external sd card. I did use my phone to download it, maybe that was the problem.
    How are you getting into recovery? You should be pressing volume UP power and home button. Release all three at the 1st sign of the Samsung Screen. If you hold the buttons too long or not long enough it will skip recovery and boot normally.

Also, how big is your memory card and did you ever format it?

Thanks for the update info.... Just finished update without a hitch, just follow the instructions as listed... Love my new SGS3...

yeah, no problem getting into recovery. I did it like you said. then scrolled down to update from ext sd, pressed the menu button and now I'm waiting, watching the android with the spinning thing in its gut, waiting for the last 10 or 15 minutes.

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I got the phone from ebay, maybe somebody tried to root it or something.

Any theories for why I keep getting "E: signature verification failed, Installation aborted" a couple seconds in?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Retired Ambassador

yeah, no problem getting into recovery. I did it like you said. then scrolled down to update from ext sd, pressed the menu button and now I'm waiting, watching the android with the spinning thing in its gut, waiting for the last 10 or 15 minutes.

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I got the phone from ebay, maybe somebody tried to root it or something.
    What is the size of your external sdcard? Have you ever formatted it? There is a reason for these questions.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by joshuapingley View Post
    Any theories for why I keep getting "E: signature verification failed, Installation aborted" a couple seconds in?
    Have you deleted any of the pre installed apps (bloat)? I think it may be looking for app signitures and not finding one or some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Have you deleted any of the pre installed apps (bloat)? I think it may be looking for app signitures and not finding one or some of them.
    I re-enabled them and it still didn't work. *sigh*

Worked awesome & easy, thanks! Now I can pick up a 4G signal on my couch!
    Manually Update from LG8 to LI3 (UNROOTED STOCK PHONES) Sprint Only-screenshot_2012-09-22-10-04-05.png

i just got the OTA update -

ROM
    MOAR 9

Quote Originally Posted by phone-a-holic View Post
    Sprint Connection Optimizer...when I try accessing it says setup has not finished yet try again later
    I just updated manually and get the same message, did it ever go away? I like the optomizer off.
    Galaxy S3 running MOAR Official v9.0. 50+ Mods Morphology 3.9.14

David

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
    You don't need stock recovery... as in previous updates, get the zip, reboot to CWM, apply the update the WITHOUT REBOOTING, apply the "root from recovery" zip file, and then reboot... You will have an updated phone with root and cwm
    I tried this method because it looked to be the easiest. But didn't get too far. While installing the update, the screen showed:

"assert failed: apply patch check" and then listed in parentheses ("/system/app/accuweatherDaemon.odex , xxxxxx) the xxxxx refers to a bunch of numbers.
    E: Error in (the update zip file)
    (Status 7) Installation aborted.
    It seemed to happen while verifying my current system.

The only system file I changed was an apk google search file in order to see contacts, etc. from google search.
    I am rooted with CWM recovery and currently using the High On Android rom.

Any ideas out there? Would going to stock recovery be any different than using this method?
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3

thank you man for helping me out
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mobdad View Post
    I tried this method because it looked to be the easiest. But didn't get too far. While installing the update, the screen showed:

"assert failed: apply patch check" and then listed in parentheses ("/system/app/accuweatherDaemon.odex , xxxxxx) the xxxxx refers to a bunch of numbers.
    E: Error in (the update zip file)
    (Status 7) Installation aborted.
    It seemed to happen while verifying my current system.

The only system file I changed was an apk google search file in order to see contacts, etc. from google search.
    I am rooted with CWM recovery and currently using the High On Android rom.

Any ideas out there? Would going to stock recovery be any different than using this method?
    Going to a custom recovery won't help as your problem is your custom rom.

Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

This is only for those with STOCK unrooted phones with STOCK recovery.

Hello there and thank you for these easy instructions, I just downloaded this new update on my phone.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Going to a custom recovery won't help as your problem is your custom rom.
    Thanks Skunk, so in summary you are saying that to upgrade to LI3, I should remove my custom ROM. What is the best way to do this? Can I flash stock rom? If so, do you have this file? Thanks in advance.
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast