Manually Update from LG8 to LI3 (UNROOTED STOCK PHONES) Sprint Only

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

This is only for those with STOCK unrooted phones with STOCK recovery.

Get your zip file here...

Last edited:

amazin1988

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you notice any difference with anything I'm downloading right now through phone about to up load it to phone now

iTz Young Amazed

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you notice any difference with anything I'm downloading right now through phone about to up load it to phone now

iTz Young Amazed

The phone seems to be working faster and smoother. I don't use swipe nor the stock keyboard, so I can't say anything about that.

I also noticed that after disabling Google wallet, movies, and books, they don't automatically get enables after a restart.
The roaming notification doesn't show up anymore.

Last edited:

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
If I go back to stock recovery and install LI3, will I be able to then go back to CWM recovery (and possibly have to root again) and re-install my ROM or do the ROMs only work for LG8?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If I go back to stock recovery and install LI3, will I be able to then go back to CWM recovery (and possibly have to root again) and re-install my ROM or do the ROMs only work for LG8?

yes but it will be pretty pointless. If you reload your rom, you will be going back to whatever the rom is. Most likely LG8. The only part of the update that won't change back after flashing your rom would be the radio because the radio isn't built into roms.

Last edited:

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is only for those with STOCK unrooted phones with STOCK recovery.

No, it's not. The only requirements are stock ROM and stock recovery. Root doesn't matter. Just use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper before applying the update, and you'll be golden. The unknown sources box doesn't matter either, so I don't know why that's in the instructions. This is the exact same method I used on my ROOTED stock ROM with unknown sources CHECKED.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No, it's not. The only requirements are stock ROM and stock recovery. Root doesn't matter. Just use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper before applying the update, and you'll be golden. The unknown sources box doesn't matter either, so I don't know why that's in the instructions. This is the exact same method I used on my ROOTED stock ROM with unknown sources CHECKED.

Well you have the have stock recovery, stock rom and using root keeper, temporarily removes root. So yes, technically you are stock unrooted. You really want to get into symantics?

As for the unchecking the unknown sources block, I had to do it this way on the last update because I kept getting a sideloader error when I didn't. I did the manual update 4 times when updating to LG8 to (to test) and each time the update failed with a sideloader error when it wasn't unchecked. I will try it "checked" when I get home just for the fun of it.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well you have the have stock recovery, stock rom and using root keeper, temporarily removes root. So yes, technically you are stock unrooted. You really want to get into symantics?

I guess we should get into semantics then, because Rootkeeper doesn't remove root unless you explicitly press the "Temp. Un-root" button, which I didn't. So, yes, I was rooted when I updated.

I'm not sure why you got the sideloader error for the last update, but I didn't, and I've never heard of that happening to anyone else.

Grays

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Skunkape,

What would be the best, fastest way for someone on stock rom but rooted with CWM 5.5.0.4 and has recieved the OTA to their phone (the damn thing won't shut up about the update) to apply the update. Do I need to go all the way back to stock or is there some easier method to apply the update?

I really appreciate your time.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunkape,

What would be the best, fastest way for someone on stock rom but rooted with CWM 5.5.0.4 and has recieved the OTA to their phone (the damn thing won't shut up about the update) to apply the update. Do I need to go all the way back to stock or is there some easier method to apply the update?

I really appreciate your time.

hang on a minute I have the stock recovery on my phone. Let me upload it to drop box and I will provide a link for you. Then you can download it.

It's a tar file so you can flash it in mobile Odin (in the recovery spot) or with desktop odin (in the PDA slot).

I will update this post as soon as it finishes uploading to drop box.

Stock Recovery
http://db.tt/dX2BkP2p

Then go to the playstore and install ota root keeper and save your root with it because the update will unroot your phone. Then you can restore it with rootkeeper after it's updated.

Last edited:

Rena2011

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this!! It was quick and easy for me to update my phone before I left for work and I can already see a difference in the performance.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Skunk do you have to have an external sd card? I only got my 16GB space the phone came with. Or would this be okay? (I've never used an sd card so not sure)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunk do you have to have an external sd card? I only got my 16GB space the phone came with. Or would this be okay? (I've never used an sd card so not sure)

I think you need an sdcard but not sure. Give it a try and let us know. Or if you want, I can try it out for you when I get off work. I have no problem volenteering my phone for experiments. :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think you need an sdcard but not sure. Give it a try and let us know. Or if you want, I can try it out for you when I get off work. I have no problem volenteering my phone for experiments. :D

It shouldn't hurt it right? It just wouldn't update or am I wrong?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work since it can't find the sd card :(. I just need to go buy one already lol