Why does this phone use so much RAM??

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My phone constantly stays at about 1 Gb of Ram being used. It seems rediculous too me because if I had another Android phone mostly like it would only have 1gb of ram instead of 2gb. With that said I'd always be out of memory. Whats wrong with the GS3 and why does it use soo much Ram?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
My phone constantly stays at about 1 Gb of Ram being used. It seems rediculous too me because if I had another Android phone mostly like it would only have 1gb of ram instead of 2gb. With that said I'd always be out of memory. Whats wrong with the GS3 and why does it use soo much Ram?

Because TouchWiz is one of the most inefficient pieces of software to ever be created for a mobile platform. Unfortunately :(

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because TouchWiz is one of the most inefficient pieces of software to ever be created for a mobile platform. Unfortunately :(

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

It may be this I'm not sure.. I use nova launcher and have no issues. I rebooted my phone last night (9pm est) and this is my ram usage now (see below)

Are you closing apps when your done? And I don't mean by the arrow I mean holding the home button, going to task manager, and killing them from active. I always use my apps and click the home button to go to another and once I'm done I close all active apps. This seems to help with my ram usage a ton.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348570526342.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348570526342.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 143

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Over and over I've been told. Android uses ram differently than windows. Unused ram is wasted ram. Android is supposed to use as much ram as it can to cache processes so (in theory) it will be quicker.

I don't know how much of this I believe.

iMagi

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Go to settings. Data usage. Do you have background data active? There might be the reason.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

vapore0n

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Which is true.
You can see this when you use the same app over and over, even if its a game.

Go to Application Manager and click on Running tab. You can see how much memory running services is using, and how much cached processes are using.
Mine is 747/876 MB right now.

Using up that much memory is not ridiculous. Cached memory gets freed when the system needs it. Given that most apps on my phone are pre-cached, there will be not much freeing going on, and apps will load up faster.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Samsung was infinitely diligent to include 2Gb. You have 2Gb of RAM and you are complaining what is wrong with the GS3? Amazing. The more RAM you have on your device, the faster it is and the less battery it uses to constantly be re-opening programs. It doesn't matter that it uses 1Gb. Read and learn.

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Over and over I've been told. Android uses ram differently than windows. Unused ram is wasted ram. Android is supposed to use as much ram as it can to cache processes so (in theory) it will be quicker.

You are absolutely correct. It isn't Android per se, it is the underlying Linux kernel's virtual memory manager that behaves this way. And it is a good thing. :) If you double your RAM, the VMM will fill it up eventually, and that is exactly what you want.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Actually this is true, not just of Android, but Lynx and AIX as well. Modern O/S's keep recent apps in ram, and release them as needed (they actually watch your usage and release the least used apps first) This is also why task killers are contraindicated in Android.

Marty77

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
after updating to jelly bean i have all sorts issues. Not sure it's totally all related to the update tho.
Can't get ram used to go below 700 with nothing running and i have only 800 something..
most annoying and problematic is my keyboard.
It lags horribly now and can't type to fast.
also sometimes keys get "stuck". I had noticed this way back on hot days and my phone felt hot, that the touch screen would go haywire. now it feels that it's always in this lag state and not sure how keys can get stuck but it's like it doesn't register me lifting the finger off and need to press it again to release it. does this with stock keyboard and others.
Not sure if it's ram related but i noticed that usage all the sudden is higher stock. Jellie bean using lots reasources?!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The general fix for issues after the JB update is, unfortunately, to do a factory reset. The OTA update seems to cause all kinds of issues that are fixed by clearing all the data.

As far as RAM, though, read through this thread. There's no advantage to empty RAM. It does nothing for you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
after updating to jelly bean i have all sorts issues. Not sure it's totally all related to the update tho.
Can't get ram used to go below 700 with nothing running and i have only 800 something..
most annoying and problematic is my keyboard.
It lags horribly now and can't type to fast.
also sometimes keys get "stuck". I had noticed this way back on hot days and my phone felt hot, that the touch screen would go haywire. now it feels that it's always in this lag state and not sure how keys can get stuck but it's like it doesn't register me lifting the finger off and need to press it again to release it. does this with stock keyboard and others.
Not sure if it's ram related but i noticed that usage all the sudden is higher stock. Jellie bean using lots reasources?!

The general fix for issues after the JB update is, unfortunately, to do a factory reset. The OTA update seems to cause all kinds of issues that are fixed by clearing all the data.

As far as RAM, though, read through this thread. There's no advantage to empty RAM. It does nothing for you.

Yeah it won't do anything. Funk (a member on this forum) has the international one with only 1GB of RAM and it sits at high usage but the system will handle it just fine. No need to worry about it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums