Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Default New Swype Keyboard with LI3 upgrade

I really like the new Swype keyboard, but has anyone been able to use Handwriting mode on the new keyboard? I enabled it in settings but I can't find a button to activate it. The speech to text button is in an unusual place but I eventually found it, but no button for handwriting. I appreciate any help out there.
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Default Re: New Swype Keyboard with LI3 upgrade

Hell, i can't even find the speech to text button.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

2 ways to get the speech to text button. While the KB is visible:

1) Hit the menu button on the bottom left and you get 8 options, 1 of which is "speak" with a microphone icon
    2) There is a small up arrow in the middle just below the message box (if you are texting). If you press it, it goes into a full screen mode which has a microphone icon.

Now how about the handwriting button?
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

If/when I get the update and I already have Swype installed, what happens?

Will there be there duplicate Swype keyboards or will Swype be totally fubar?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by GK3K View Post
    If/when I get the update and I already have Swype installed, what happens?

Will there be there duplicate Swype keyboards or will Swype be totally fubar?
    I am not sure. For me, the upgrade actually defaulted to the Samsung keyboard and I had to switch to the Swype keyboard which was an option in Language and Input in Settings. Guess you will find out soon enough.

---------- Post Merged at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mobdad View Post

1) Hit the menu button on the bottom left and you get 8 options, 1 of which is "speak" with a microphone icon
    2) There is a small up arrow in the middle just below the message box (if you are texting). If you press it, it goes into a full screen mode which has a microphone icon.

Gator, I forgot that I use Handcent as my messaging program and my response to you to find the speech to text button was based on that program. The menu and screen options are probably different than the standard texting program. I don't think that there is an actual keyboard button for either text to speech or handwriting in Swype.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

I have Swype beta installed. This one in the update looks much sexier than this ugly *** beta but how's the functionality? The beta is much better than the one pre-installed last time I checked.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    I have Swype beta installed. This one in the update looks much sexier than this ugly *** beta but how's the functionality? The beta is much better than the one pre-installed last time I checked.
    No key for "speech to text" or handwriting. I registered with Swype to install the beta but it failed to install because it recognized that I had a Swype keyboard already installed.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I had the beta installed too and I liked the speech to text option. The handwriting I can live without but my guess is that Samsung took it out because it wants you to use svoice which is nowhere near as accurate.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Both are rooted, stock

No key for "speech to text" or handwriting. I registered with Swype to install the beta but it failed to install because it recognized that I had a Swype keyboard already installed.
    Actually, it says the latest version is already installed (which of course, it is not). I took it one step further and uninstalled the stock version of Swype using TiBackup. I then used Swype Beta Installer to download and install v1.1.1 - Swype Beta didn't do anything but FC every 2 seconds. I uninstalled the Beta and restored the stock v1.0.7x from my backup.
    Rhoq

Yup, Swype Beta appears to have been supplanted by the new ROM-based implementation. Yup, Dragon Dictate appears to be gone. And yup, the beta installer refuses to install the latest beta over this new ROM-based jobber.
    - Sprint / Galaxy Note 2 user
    - Galaxy Note 10.1 user

There's a thread on this over at Swype:
    - Sprint / Galaxy Note 2 user
    - Galaxy Note 10.1 user
    Thanked by 2:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro77 View Post
    There's a thread on this over at Swype:
    Thanks for the update Jeff. As I indicated in a previous post, text to speech is available to use with the new stock Swype keyboard using Handcent SMS. I find this to be a much better messaging program than stock (very customizable). However it does take 2 keystrokes for speech to text and no way to use handwriting that I can find.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

good stuff here guys, thanks.

The handwriting button is to the left of the space bar.you have to hold it then slide to the T with the pencil next to it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Slll using TapaTalk!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by weston87 View Post
    The handwriting button is to the left of the space bar.you have to hold it then slide to the T with the pencil next to it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Slll using TapaTalk!
    This button works well on the stock Samsung keyboard but is conspicuously missing from the new stock Swype keyboard.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

OK, I researched the solution and found it. I am using the Samsung Beta Swype keyboard now and it works great along with keys for handwriting and "speech to text". This will work for only rooted phones because you need to access files from root. I moved the 3 original files to my SD card so if I want to uninstall Swype Beta, I can replace all the original files.

1. Go to Settings/Language and input and set Samsung as your default keyboard (if it is not already)
    2. Open your favorite root file manager (I use Root Browser by Jrummy (thank you)) Make sure your file system is set to R/W.
    3. Delete or move \system\app\swype.apk (Moving these files to a safe location is best solution so that you can move them back at a later time)
    4. Delete or move \data\dalvik-cache\system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex (might be .odex depending on your ROM)
    5. Delete or move \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
    6. Reboot
    7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer
    8. Go to Settings/Language and input and set Swype Beta as your default keyboard (Voila)

If you get FC's after installing Swype BETA then remove Swype and the Swype Installer under Manage Apps, re-boot and install the BETA again. Might be some stuff left over from the old version that can cause this problem. Mine worked fine though with no FCs.

Source: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1424457

Enjoy.
    Last edited by mobdad; 09-27-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

This is so stupid. They took away our beta, and gave us a version that is less advanced. WTF? No speech to text? Why did this disappear?

Anyone know a way we can do this without rooting or installing handcent?

Frustrated....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post
    Actually, it says the latest version is already installed (which of course, it is not). I took it one step further and uninstalled the stock version of Swype using TiBackup. I then used Swype Beta Installer to download and install v1.1.1 - Swype Beta didn't do anything but FC every 2 seconds. I uninstalled the Beta and restored the stock v1.0.7x from my backup.
    I did the same as you and my phone did as well, but the force-closes stopped after I rebooted (had to pull the battery). Glad to have my speech-to-text button back!

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rooted)

HUh? Not getting this!!!

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Can't find any of what you speak of. Can you do screen shots?

Quote Originally Posted by ammaralo View Post
    This is so stupid. They took away our beta, and gave us a version that is less advanced. WTF? No speech to text? Why did this disappear?

Anyone know a way we can do this without rooting or installing handcent?

Frustrated....
    This is SO stupid. Just when I start to love Samsung, they remind me to hate them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Samsung Epic 4G - Palm Pre - Motorola Q - PCD XV6700/PPC-6700 - Hitachi SH-P300 - Sony Ericsson T608 - Samsung SPH-N200

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

I got Swype beta to install...and it works like before..
    Use titanium backup to uninstall the default Swype app.

Install Swype beta...reboot your phone....
    Swype beta will constantly force close until you reboot....you w will lose your user dictionary but a small price to pay....

Now I have the Swype beta installed and have text to speech and handwriting etc etc..
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post

Swype beta will constantly force close until you reboot....you w will lose your user dictionary but a small price to pay....

Now I have the Swype beta installed and have text to speech and handwriting etc etc..
    This is the best solution. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post

I suppose you have to be rooted to use Titanium Backup? I can't find a version to use with a stock phone. I hate not having TTS with Swype.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mellyf View Post
    I suppose you have to be rooted to use Titanium Backup? I can't find a version to use with a stock phone. I hate not having TTS with Swype.
    Yes you have to be rooted to use titanium backup...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
    mellyf 

When you are typing, pull down the notification bar, click on select input method, select google voice typing, and go. It's a little more inconvient than before, but at least you don't have to root your phone.
    Thanked by:
    mellyf 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast