GPS Constantly in use (and I mean constantly) - how do I find which app is the offender?

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So, got my Galaxy S3 yesterday and installed all my apps on it, set them up, etc.

I've been noticing, however, that one of them seems to be constantly using GPS. In that, the GPS icon is constantly in the notification bar (or at least, it's been on for about 12 hours now, with reboots not helping at all). Now, I'm not at all concerned about it sucking the battery dry (even if GPS used a lot of power, I have a 12,000 mAh backup battery) - but the blinking notification icon gets annoying rather quickly when using the phone. Looking up the issue on Google seems to bring up only people who are worried about periodic location tracking, or battery drain from leaving GPS on all the time. The one useful tip I did find was to try to kill apps until the phone stopped using GPS, but no matter which app I kill, it has no effect.

If it helps, I'm using a nightly CyanogenMod 10 build.

Alternatively, is there a way to change the GPS icon to something less annoying? If it weren't blinking I wouldn't have so much of an issue. Or even hiding the icon. Or something to stop the blinking D:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried going back to a previous nightly you may have backed up. of have you tried pulling the battery for five minutes. I may not be an app it may just be a glitch with the flash or an issue with that nightly.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I had not tried previous nightlies (new phone, so I just picked the latest), though the issue did not start until some time after I did a Titanium backup restore. I will try a battery pull, however.

EDIT: Battery pull did not solve the issue. I am off from work the day after tomorrow, so if I can't fix the issue I may try other nightlies - though that it started after a titanium backup seems to mean that it was one of the apps, and I'd rather not have to uninstall the one by one if something else will tell me what's causing this D:

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It has to be a widget or something such as a weather one. Or something running in the background. Think of which apps you have that use GPS.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually it may have actually been a firmware issue. For some reason it seems to be randomly setting itself to use a bluetooth GPS device, so it will constantly try to get a fix. Turning off bluetooth solves it.

It's odd that it did not start until after the restore though I suppose coincidences do happen.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt