1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Default When we do get the JellyBean update...

I know there is a whole thread already dedicated to the JellyBean update. But my question to you guys is: When we do actually do get the update for JellyBean, what the heck will it do? What will be different on my GS3 and what new things will be incorporated? Thanks!

Default Re: When we do get the JellyBean update...

From what I read, not a whole lot. Infact, Samsung has apparently stripped some features such as cutting the action toggles in the notification bar from 9 to 5. There are suppossed a few cosmetic features but touchwiz covers those up like make-up. Some say it makes it smoother for the most part but the S3 is fast enough already so it makes it a moot point. All-in-all, it's not the upgrade you might think it is. There is a thread about the leaked Sprint version and that's where I got my info, but I'm too lazy right now to find it.

Hope the info helped.

Edit: Here ya go......

100% Working JELLY BEAN Leaked Rom..!!!!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

So none of will be incorporated?!
    Thanked by:
    dane79 
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    So none of will be incorporated?!
    Yes, I'm sure most will included, But most people will not even notice it.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Yes, I'm sure most will included, But most people will not even notice it.
    Why/how?!

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

I know there is a whole thread already dedicated to the JellyBean update. But my question to you guys is: When we do actually do get the update for JellyBean, what the heck will it do? What will be different on my GS3 and what new things will be incorporated? Thanks!
    Here you go (Click on the link below). In addition there is a ton of information if you Google your question:
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3

pls del

Why/how?!
    Because of touchwiz.. a lot of people didnt notice the changelog to ics from gingerbread on sgs 2.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Tomorrow...

Nahh I'm kidding lol
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by mohmoney View Post
    pls del
    plz shh

One way to explain, OS upgrades are always best experienced on AOSP based devices like the Nexus or when running a AOSP based custom ROM. That is where you get the true taste of what the OS was designed to be enjoyed as. The OEM's like Sammy, HTC, Moto, etc.. come in with their UI overlays (Touchwiz, Sense, Blur, LG's own) and by the time they slap that over the top of the new OS you really don't see much of what Google intended. It comes down to more of the under the hood tweaks/upgrades at that point that are left for the end user to experience because the OEM has changed the face of the original Google design.

Its an upgrade you want, because naturally you need to keep moving forward in time to stay in tune with the upgrade trends for future applications, etc that are built based on JB 4.1.1 but your not going to see the dramatic change that you would see if it was AOSP.

Probably the biggest visual changes we have seen in non AOSP devices has been from Eclair 2.1 to Froyo 2.2 (Froyo gave us Flash Player support) and from Froyo 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.2.3 (which brought in the famous GB green fonts & colors along with the end of screen over scroll glow effects we now take for granted.) GB to ICS wasn't a big deal and ICS to JB (Jelly Bean takes away Flash Player support) won't be much in visual aspect either.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I still have the SG2, and when we got the ICS upgrade, we were able to pick the launcher...will there be launcher options for JB?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    One way to explain, OS upgrades are always best experienced on AOSP based devices like the Nexus or when running a AOSP based custom ROM. That is where you get the true taste of what the OS was designed to be enjoyed as. The OEM's like Sammy, HTC, Moto, etc.. come in with their UI overlays (Touchwiz, Sense, Blur, LG's own) and by the time they slap that over the top of the new OS you really don't see much of what Google intended. It comes down to more of the under the hood tweaks/upgrades at that point that are left for the end user to experience because the OEM has changed the face of the original Google design.

Its an upgrade you want, because naturally you need to keep moving forward in time to stay in tune with the upgrade trends for future applications, etc that are built based on JB 4.1.1 but your not going to see the dramatic change that you would see if it was AOSP.

Probably the biggest visual changes we have seen in non AOSP devices has been from Eclair 2.1 to Froyo 2.2 (Froyo gave us Flash Player support) and from Froyo 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.2.3 (which brought in the famous GB green fonts & colors along with the end of screen over scroll glow effects we now take for granted.) GB to ICS wasn't a big deal and ICS to JB (Jelly Bean takes away Flash Player support) won't be much in visual aspect either.
    JB takes away Flash? Why did they do that? Sound like we are going the route of Steve Jobs thinking...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Yes I get all that. But like I said, I'm just wondering about all of awesome features.

Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    I still have the SG2, and when we got the ICS upgrade, we were able to pick the launcher...will there be launcher options for JB?
    Launcher options as in?

You can still always download a 3rd party launcher and switch between them if that is what your asking.
    Paul

Yes I get all that. But like I said, I'm just wondering about all of awesome features.
    Again that comes down to what Samsung changes with the TouchWiz overlay.....
    Paul

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by paul627g View Post
    again that comes down to what samsung changes with the touchwiz overlay.....
    ughhh! Do not let me down sammysung!!!!!!!!!

Launcher options as in?

You can still always download a 3rd party launcher and switch between them if that is what your asking.
    You can use either the loaded Sprint launcher (Touchwiz) or the stock ICS launcher. Both are available in the Sprint ID app. I prefer the stock ICS launcher as it looks and feels like ICS and not a version of GB... Is this feature available on the GS3 using ICS and also if they ever push JB to the phone?

Just wondering as my wife has this phone and I will get it in December.

Thank you.

Not sure if its included or not but I agree it would be a nice option.. Otherwise you can probably find a stock ICS/JB launcher in the Play Store to download and use along side it.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    JB takes away Flash? Why did they do that? Sound like we are going the route of Steve Jobs thinking...
    I don't know. It's rather annoying actually. I'm running the JB leak and it's not really noticeable unless you use Dolphin Browser. From what I've read here and there, everything is moving away from Flash and moving on to HTML5. Except the FB app. Which is moving away from HTML5 and giving us native Android experience sometime very soon. All rather confusing. A medley of confusion. But all in all unless you absolutely need flash, it's really no big deal not having it on JB.

Google Now is awesome. Other then that, there isn't too much different visually from this as Paul said. Some new features. I've been an AOSP guy for a couple years. The S3 is my first Samsung. I'm very much in love with TW now. Although I haven't messed around with any AOSP on here much since there is still a lot to be worked out.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by sinisin View Post
    I don't know. It's rather annoying actually. I'm running the JB leak and it's not really noticeable unless you use Dolphin Browser. From what I've read here and there, everything is moving away from Flash and moving on to HTML5. Except the FB app. Which is moving away from HTML5 and giving us native Android experience sometime very soon. All rather confusing. A medley of confusion. But all in all unless you absolutely need flash, it's really no big deal not having it on JB.

Google Now is awesome. Other then that, there isn't too much different visually from this as Paul said. Some new features. I've been an AOSP guy for a couple years. The S3 is my first Samsung. I'm very much in love with TW now. Although I haven't messed around with any AOSP on here much since there is still a lot to be worked out.
    I agree. Jellybean was a bit of a letdown for me. I tried AOSP & CM10. There still wasn't enough to impress. It was like picking up my old nexus s4g. While I don't run tw on my phone (Nova Guy), I think the tw rom is faster and prefer the tw jellybean over the AOSP every day of the week. I doubt I could go back to AOSP again.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif