New GS3 user. No update notification. How to updates beyond L710VPLG8??

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just got my GS3 on Sprint. I bought the device on ebay. It came with L710VPLG8 update. Has there been any update beyond that. I know there is an update that is currently rolling out, but if I dont have any update in between these, I guess the new one wont be available for me. If the phone does not detect the updates that were in-between, how do I force them?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much onslaught460. I will do it once I get home from work. BTW, I cant find a LTE on/off switch as there was one for wimax on my epic 4g touch. How do I actually turn LTE on/off on GS3?

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much onslaught460. I will do it once I get home from work. BTW, I cant find a LTE on/off switch as there was one for wimax on my epic 4g touch. How do I actually turn LTE on/off on GS3?

I recommend that you leave it on CDMA (default) unless you are in an LTE area. Otherwise it will drain your battery searching for an LTE connection. Also it is more of a pain to switch now. It reboots your phone any time you change the setting unlike 4G (Wimax) which allowed you to just switch. You will find a ton of information on this forum and also Xda when you are looking for information a bit more technical. Enjoy your new phone. :)

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I recommend that you leave it on CDMA (default) unless you are in an LTE area. Otherwise it will drain your battery searching for an LTE connection.

I believe that to be a myth. I have run in both modes and never noticed any difference in battery performance, which is good either way.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not in my case. Partially
Using SystemPanel i let my device sit over night. One night with CDMA/LTE enabled.
The next night with CDMA only enabled.
My CPU consumption was 3-5% over night with CDMA only and it was 5-10% with CDMA/LTE.
Now why my device is being affected by this is because i used RealSignal and noticed im on the edge of eHRPD/LTE tower and EVOD/A tower.
I can watch my devices data source change from EVDO/A to eHRPD several times in a 5 minute period.
I also noticed that when my phone is in a solid LTE coverage area the CPU usage in stand by is about 5-7%..

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I believe that to be a myth. I have run in both modes and never noticed any difference in battery performance, which is good either way.

OK I am going to give it a try! Even though we haven't had a sniff of LTE in South Florida, you never know when it's coming.

EDIT: I am now in the never ending boot animation of the LIH leak with the new kernel :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got my GS3 on Sprint. I bought the device on ebay. It came with L710VPLG8 update. Has there been any update beyond that. I know there is an update that is currently rolling out, but if I dont have any update in between these, I guess the new one wont be available for me. If the phone does not detect the updates that were in-between, how do I force them?

Yes lg8 is not current. If you haven't gotten your update, is your phone rooted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969