1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New GS3 user. No update notification. How to updates beyond L710VPLG8??

Just got my GS3 on Sprint. I bought the device on ebay. It came with L710VPLG8 update. Has there been any update beyond that. I know there is an update that is currently rolling out, but if I dont have any update in between these, I guess the new one wont be available for me. If the phone does not detect the updates that were in-between, how do I force them?

Default Re: New GS3 user. No update notification. How to updates beyond L710VPLG8??

Welcome to the forum and I hope you're enjoying your s3. To manually update your phone just follow the instructions in this thread. Manually Update from LG8 to LI3 (UNROOTED STOCK PHONES) Sprint Only

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: New GS3 user. No update notification. How to updates beyond L710VPLG8??

Thank you very much onslaught460. I will do it once I get home from work. BTW, I cant find a LTE on/off switch as there was one for wimax on my epic 4g touch. How do I actually turn LTE on/off on GS3?

Settings >More Settings> Mobile Networks> Network Mode>
    You will have LTE / CDMA or CDMA
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    Thank you very much onslaught460. I will do it once I get home from work. BTW, I cant find a LTE on/off switch as there was one for wimax on my epic 4g touch. How do I actually turn LTE on/off on GS3?
    I recommend that you leave it on CDMA (default) unless you are in an LTE area. Otherwise it will drain your battery searching for an LTE connection. Also it is more of a pain to switch now. It reboots your phone any time you change the setting unlike 4G (Wimax) which allowed you to just switch. You will find a ton of information on this forum and also Xda when you are looking for information a bit more technical. Enjoy your new phone.
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by mobdad View Post
    I recommend that you leave it on CDMA (default) unless you are in an LTE area. Otherwise it will drain your battery searching for an LTE connection.
    I believe that to be a myth. I have run in both modes and never noticed any difference in battery performance, which is good either way.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    I believe that to be a myth. I have run in both modes and never noticed any difference in battery performance, which is good either way.
    Absolutely true. I have tried it both ways and have not seen any difference in the battery life.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Not in my case. Partially
    Using SystemPanel i let my device sit over night. One night with CDMA/LTE enabled.
    The next night with CDMA only enabled.
    My CPU consumption was 3-5% over night with CDMA only and it was 5-10% with CDMA/LTE.
    Now why my device is being affected by this is because i used RealSignal and noticed im on the edge of eHRPD/LTE tower and EVOD/A tower.
    I can watch my devices data source change from EVDO/A to eHRPD several times in a 5 minute period.
    I also noticed that when my phone is in a solid LTE coverage area the CPU usage in stand by is about 5-7%..
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    OK I am going to give it a try! Even though we haven't had a sniff of LTE in South Florida, you never know when it's coming.

EDIT: I am now in the never ending boot animation of the LIH leak with the new kernel
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Does anybody now why this happened on my Verizon GS3
    I am missing the lte/wcdma network setting in moble network setting.....
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    Just got my GS3 on Sprint. I bought the device on ebay. It came with L710VPLG8 update. Has there been any update beyond that. I know there is an update that is currently rolling out, but if I dont have any update in between these, I guess the new one wont be available for me. If the phone does not detect the updates that were in-between, how do I force them?
    Yes lg8 is not current. If you haven't gotten your update, is your phone rooted?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif