Questions about Google Voice

pkgear

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
looking for your guy's experience on how draining it is to leave google voice on all day

im planning to use my google voice app + google voice number to text people so i dont have to pay for texting, so im just wondering how much data I would use

also, google texting is free right? i remember reading that calling with google voice still requires you to pay

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Why would you need this? I don't think sprint charges for texting. I am pretty sure it is unlimited on all of their data plans.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. I've used Google Voice to make calls free for years. I think you may be thinking of international calls? Texting is also free and I can tell you neither of those apps has ever been a culprit causing battery drain.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

pkgear

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I've used Google Voice to make calls free for years. I think you may be thinking of international calls? Texting is also free and I can tell you neither of those apps has ever been a culprit causing battery drain.

I was talking about data drain, not battery drain

also i thought google voice still makes you pay if youre sprint

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Only if you want to actually change your number to your Google number.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
can anyone confirm this?
google talk stuff is confusing me for some reason

Google Voice does take minutes away from your plan. Simply put, you have 3 options of how you want to use it with your phone.
Option 1:Open the Voice app on your phone. It will ask you for the email attached to your Voice account. Once you have signed in it will give you the option of integrating Voice with your Sprint account or to skip this process. Tap skip. It will then lead you through some simple steps of how you want it to handle outgoing calls. A)all calls with GVoice # B)only int'l calls with GVoice C)ask every time you make a call. Also, you can decide if you want your GVoice txt messages to show in your Sprint txt message log or only in the GVoice app. You can also choose to use GVoice voicemail service or Sprint's.
Option 2 & 3:Integrate your GVoice account fully with your Sprint phone. The only difference between options 2 & 3 is which number will display on the called person's caller ID. To use either of these options when you first sign in to the GVoice app choose the integrate option. The setup will ask you which number you wish to display when you call out then lead you through the rest of the setup options. I'm not sure if Google or Sprint charges for this option because I use option 1. Its free and I only use my GVoice # for certain calls.
1 last thing, if you haven't already, visit GVoice site from a computer. Enter the settings menu and click forwarding numbers. Then add which phones you would like to push your GVoice calls to. When you add your mobile # it will recognize it as a Sprint # and a link will appear next to it asking you if you want to integrate the option 2 or 3 route.
Once your done you can enter the settings menu of the app on your phone and fine tune it to your liking.
1 more thing. GVoice texts are sent over your data connection. Calls use your cell line just like a regular call. The only difference is you can add money to your GVoice account and make really cheap int'l calls from your cell when you use GVoice.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

web0rama

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was talking about data drain, not battery drain

also i thought google voice still makes you pay if youre sprint

Just checked this out in my data usage menu. For the last billing cycle, ranging from September 7 through October 6, Google Voice used a grand total of 14.0 megabytes.

That is the only app I use for texting/voicemail & that's the main way I communicate with this device.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just checked this out in my data usage menu. For the last billing cycle, ranging from September 7 through October 6, Google Voice used a grand total of 14.0 megabytes.

That is the only app I use for texting/voicemail & that's the main way I communicate with this device.

I only use GVoice for texting/voicemail and my usage is about that every month. Its not data intensive at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non