Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Don't root CREDO S3, lost MMS

The MMS settings for Sprint are not the same settings as the MMS for CREDO, though they share the same network, it appears the MMSC is different. I've unrooted my phone, flashed it back to stock and did a hard reset, then MMS stopped working because of the invalid MMSC value. But the APN cannot be modified now and thus I no longer have the ability to send MMS unless I root it again Wish I didn't have to choose between OTA updates and MMS.

Trying to work around now using a 3rd party MMS app that allows custom MMSC to be used (GoSMSPro) but not happy about it... don't really want a texting app with so many bells and whistles.
    Sent from my Galecksee S3.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Don't root CREDO S3, lost MMS

You're saying don't root the s3 because you lose MMS? Mine works fine...you must of done something to cause it not to work. I've used stock, freegs3, blazer, and cm10 and its always worked fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tlrsax54 View Post
    You're saying don't root the s3 because you lose MMS? Mine works fine...you must of done something to cause it not to work. I've used stock, freegs3, blazer, and cm10 and its always worked fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    That's the Credo S3 version, not the Sprint S3. Credo uses the Sprint network. Are you on Credo?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

tlrsax54 - I'm saying you'll lose MMS if you ever plan to UNROOT. Sorry, I see the title of this post is confusing.

As root, you can modify the APN manually and fix the MMS problem by setting the correct MMSC value. But if you unroot, you lose that ability. The stock ROM does not have the correct APN settings for CREDO's S3. And starting with ICS 4.0, 3rd party apps can no longer modify APN settings on an unrooted phone.

Note this is just the first problem I've discovered so far. Hopefully there aren't more.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dizlmonsta View Post
    tlrsax54 - I'm saying you'll lose MMS if you ever plan to UNROOT. Sorry, I see the title of this post is confusing.

As root, you can modify the APN manually and fix the MMS problem by setting the correct MMSC value. But if you unroot, you lose that ability. The stock ROM does not have the correct APN settings for CREDO's S3. And starting with ICS 4.0, 3rd party apps can no longer modify APN settings on an unrooted phone.

Note this is just the first problem I've discovered so far. Hopefully there aren't more.
    So now I really don't understand. Why would anyone not be rooted?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Many reasons. Maybe you want to sell your phone -- can't sell it with any warranty unless it's been flashed back to stock. Or maybe you want OTA updates. I rooted my gf's phone, then she decided she didn't want to deal with manual updates, for example.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Still no solution to this problem. Sucks. I hate GoSMSPro.

Weird wonder why gosmspro does that. I use ChompSMS and have no issues on unrooted.. Weird how it works but go doesn't o_O

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I don't think you read the thread carefully Almeuit, didn't say GoSMSPro doesn't work, just that it sucks. Stock MMS is what's broken.

I don't think you read the thread carefully Almeuit, didn't say GoSMSPro doesn't work, just that it sucks. Stock MMS is what's broken.
    Ah just a simple misunderstanding. Sucks either way

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Retired Ambassador

I hate the bubble style text. The stock message app used to give you a choice between bubble and list. When they removed the option of the list it was the last straw.

Google for all the great things they do, there are many things they do, I think are foolish. Sometimes I have to just shake my head over some of their decisions.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

*Update*

Called CREDO mobile, told them MMS stopped working, they sent me instructions on how to edit the APN settings, and told me my MSL # -- which allows me to edit everything else as well. Probably a handy thing for later.

1. From the phone dialer, dial ##3282#.
    2. Tap “Edit.”
    3. Tap the text field to bring up the keyboard, then enter your MSL (******) from above and tap “OK.”
    4. Tap “Others.”
    5. Tap “MMSC URL.”
    6. Tap “mmsc.” If the URL doesn’t say http://mms.plspictures.com, change it to this.
    7. Tap “OK” even if you didn’t need to change the URL.
    8. Turn your phone off and back on.

Worked like a charm.

Now I'm looking at all these other settings and seeing sprint URLs and wondering what this stock image from XDA replaced that was set by CREDO to something else originally. :sigh: everything seems to be working though.

So just to clear things up , can I root my credo mobile galaxy s3 and add ROMs or will I experience issues?

whenever i do this step it keeps the boostmobile address i cannot get it to change to http://mms.plspictures.com or http://mms.sprintpcs.com... no matter how many times i go through the steps.. anyone know a fix please email me @ ksweet@umail.iu.edu