Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Default Text Messages - From iPhone to Galaxy S3

Here is a strange issue that I am having. I am a long time iPhone user but decided to switch from my iPhone 4S to a new Samsung Galaxy S3 (switched provider & phone). When I text a friend with an iPhone using iMessage he gets the text no problem. He replies and I do not recieve it. He turns OFF iMessage and I can get them. Another friend (iPhone user with iMessage) was able to receive my messages but now she is not.

Anyone knoiw what could be happening?

TIA!!

Chris
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Default Re: Text Messages - From iPhone to Galaxy S3

Wow, 170 views and no replies LOL!!

never heard of that
    Thanked by:

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    Wow, 170 views and no replies LOL!!
    I could tell you that I exchange text messages with an "iphone" friend several times a week and never get this problem, but that wouldn't really solve your problem. I receive all his messages. I will say that sometimes his messages come in as MMS but my phone has no problem reading them. As far as I know SMS and MMS are standardized over all phone formats. Sorry I couldn't offer a solution.
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I just switched last week from my iPhone4 to the Galaxy S3 and I'm having a similar issue. Whether my iphone is on or off, on airplane mode or not or if wifi is turned on/off it appears to be stealing texts before the Galaxy S3 can receive them. It only seems to happen if the person sending the text is sending from an iPhone. They are showing up on my iPhone, even though I deactivated it over a week ago, and they are not showing up on the Galaxy S3. It appears that we have a very similar problem. If you still have your old iPhone I would try turning it on and checking to see if the texts are there. I don't have a solution yet but I'm working on it. If I figure it out I'll post my solution. Please let me know if you find one as well. Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    Purplechic13 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Well, after messing around with my iPad I realized that I had some messages in messaging. Test messages were not going there BUT once I removed the contacts that were in there my messages to people with iphone's seemed to start working again. This is not 100% verified as of yet but will work on it a bit more and let you know what I find out.

They need to edit their contact info on their phone to NOT show you as a iphone user. Stupid IOS is not so smart to determine the @me associated with the phone is no longer valid.
    Ask your friend to completely delete your entry and add you again as a regular phone. Imsg sucks once more

LG G2 Verizon LTE
    Nexus 4 ST TMO
    Galaxy S 3 Sprint LTE [ Retired ]
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G Verizon LTE [ Retired ]
    Nexus S 4G [ Retired ]
    Xoom Tablet 3.0 Honeycomb [ Retired ]
    HTC Evo 2.3.3| [ Retired ]
    Palm Pre [ Retired ]
    Thanked by 2:

I am having the same problem. I can't receive any text messages from other iphone users even though my old iPhone is on airplane mode. It's not feasible to ask all of my iPhone user friends (there are a lot) to delete my contact and add it again. Is there no other solution????

iPhone users need to disable the iMessage feature which allows them to send IMs directly to iPads, iPods, and Macintosh workstations. Settings > Messages > turn iMessage to 'OFF'. I have tested this on two different iPhones attempting to send IMs directly to my new Galaxy S3 and could receive messages only after this settings was changed on the iDevices.
    Thanked by:

If you still have your iphone go through the settings to make sure your imessaging is turned off that is the only thing I have found that seems to work the best other than having all your iphone friends turn off their setting or entering your contact again. My problem was they would reenter my info and I would still come up as iphone user because that setting was still on.

Thanks Justin. Finally someone who was able to help me with this crazy issue.

Default Text Messages - From iPhone to Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by clavodulce16 View Post
    They need to edit their contact info on their phone to NOT show you as a iphone user. Stupid IOS is not so smart to determine the @me associated with the phone is no longer valid.
    Ask your friend to completely delete your entry and add you again as a regular phone. Imsg sucks once more
    This is exactly what I did when I got my GS3..had everybody change my contact info to a regular mobile number and that worked for me.

I just got a Note 2 cpl days ago and most of my regular contacts have iphones. I can send them a text but when they reply, their message was going to some other iphone user. I have to ask each of them to follow this procedure and so far its meeting with success though I have no idea why:
    a) they need to delete my previous contact record
    b) they need to create a new contact record with my new number
    c) they need to temporarily turn off iMessage on their phones.
    d) they then send me SMS or MMS and I have to confirm it it works ( I receive it)
    e) then they turn iMessage back ON, wait 5-10 minutes and SMS/MMS me again
    This has worked for 3 diff family members. Interestingly, we do have to wait 5-10 minutes in step E. If they try to send me the msg right after turning iMessage back on, I won't receive it.
    I know a lot of you guys probably have dozens of contacts and don't want to do this but I don't have so many and its been working.
    This is just another in a long line of system incompatibilities that are leveraged as sales & marketing tools by the big software vendors. OS', Browsers, email systems, productivity apps, the list goes on and on... at least we're lucky to have some workarounds..
    Good luck -
    Thanked by 2:
    Mike Tomasello likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by joshroos View Post
    iPhone users need to disable the iMessage feature which allows them to send IMs directly to iPads, iPods, and Macintosh workstations. Settings > Messages > turn iMessage to 'OFF'. I have tested this on two different iPhones attempting to send IMs directly to my new Galaxy S3 and could receive messages only after this settings was changed on the iDevices.
    Yes this is correct. This has been a problem for a long time. Google it and it comes up all over the place.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Borikwa51 View Post
    I just got a Note 2 cpl days ago and most of my regular contacts have iphones. I can send them a text but when they reply, their message was going to some other iphone user. I have to ask each of them to follow this procedure and so far its meeting with success though I have no idea why:
    a) they need to delete my previous contact record
    b) they need to create a new contact record with my new number
    c) they need to temporarily turn off iMessage on their phones.
    d) they then send me SMS or MMS and I have to confirm it it works ( I receive it)
    e) then they turn iMessage back ON, wait 5-10 minutes and SMS/MMS me again
    This has worked for 3 diff family members. Interestingly, we do have to wait 5-10 minutes in step E. If they try to send me the msg right after turning iMessage back on, I won't receive it.
    I know a lot of you guys probably have dozens of contacts and don't want to do this but I don't have so many and its been working.
    This is just another in a long line of system incompatibilities that are leveraged as sales & marketing tools by the big software vendors. OS', Browsers, email systems, productivity apps, the list goes on and on... at least we're lucky to have some workarounds..
    Good luck -
    You need to log in to your old iMessage account and disable it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

This

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanked by:

So can i make this work with my ipad. Everyone around me has an iphone and i have an ipad 2. Its really awesome that i get texts on all my devices and i can respond from any and the threads are up to date. I got a NOTE 2 for xmas and my world has been turned upside down with this. Any ideas? Same texting problem as above. For now i just turned off i message on my ipad and have given up on this idea.

Ehat did you swap from to the Note?

I'm havin the same issue ... always been an iphone user but decided 2 try the S3 and now I can't send or receive message. I can browse the web, FB, Ck email, make and receive calls but no message. Super frustrating!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Disable I message in you account it works

Default Galaxy s2 doesn't always receive texts from IPhones or IPhones gets my galaxy texts with it saying s

I dont receive texts messages from IPhones either. I have tmobile with a galaxy s2...I can be in same room &not recieve texts from IPhone! So who is having an issue, IPhones or my Samsung galaxy????? Its a big inconvience & can mess with ur plans as it did mine. A friend sent 2 texts at different times using her iPhone..never received them! Got her phone message & then got her texts today, yes I got her texts today.....SO WHAT IS THE ISSUE...IPHONE OR ANDROID???
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Which system adds an extra layer to sending a text?

Default Re: Galaxy s2 doesn't always receive texts from IPhones or IPhones gets my galaxy texts with it sayi

Quote Originally Posted by guertie View Post
    I dont receive texts messages from IPhones either. I have tmobile with a galaxy s2...I can be in same room recieve texts from IPhone! So who is having an issue, IPhones or my Samsung galaxy????? Its a big inconvience & can mess with ur plans as it did mine. A friend sent 2 texts at different times using her iPhone..never received them! Got her phone message & then got her texts today, yes I got her texts today.....SO WHAT IS THE ISSUE...IPHONE OR ANDROID???
    Did you previously have a iPhone? If so, read the posts above about having your carrier disable iMessage. And then ask Apple why they can't simply use the industry standard approach that EVERY other phone manufacturer uses.

Delayed texts are usually a carrier issue. I get texts from iPhone users without any problems.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Default Re: Galaxy s2 doesn't always receive texts from IPhones or IPhones gets my galaxy texts with it sayi

As an Android Phone user, I'd like to share my experience of transferring data between Android Phone and iPhone with you.
    As far as I am concerned, Phone Transfer is the best Android Manager tool that I have ever used. It can transfer files between Android phone and iPhone in seconds. It can help you push contacts from your iPhone to android phone with a click, also transfer contents from your android phone to iPhone easily.
    Read more at Android Data Recovery, Samsung Photo Recovery, Android Transfer
    Last edited by bayansonger; 03-27-2013 at 08:17 AM.

I would call Sprint about this issue.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast