Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 337
Like Tree86Likes
  1. #301  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quick question...

    If I use the method in post #2, will the JB update still get pushed to my phone by Sprint?
  2. #302  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    This question has been asked and addressed at least a dozen times in this thread

    Recovery does not read sdcards formatted with the exfat file system. While the phone itself will. Since you have to go into recovery, if your card is formatted with the exfat file system, the card won't be found.

    You will have to reformat your sdcard to the fat32 file system. The instruction and the program to use is scattered all throughout this thread. I would find it for you but am currently at work. I will look for it on break in about 50 minutes and will edit this post with that information.
    I found your earlier post regarding how to reformat the sd card. I am in the EaseUS Partition Master program and am not sure how to get the SD card reformatted. Do I need to 'Wipe disk'? Not sure how to proceed...
  3. #303  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by thecorrigan44 View Post
    Quick question...

    If I use the method in post #2, will the JB update still get pushed to my phone by Sprint?
    No, it will not get pushed to your phone because the method in post #2 gives you the Official update. It's just that you'll update manually rather than OTA. The Sprint network will recognize that your phone already has the update and that it is already up to date. After you use the post #2 method for the update, you can go to Settings>About device to verify everything.
  4. #304  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Got the update to JB installed - a big thanks to Skunkape60 for your help!

    Is there a way to verify that my SD card is indeed formatted to FAT32?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #305  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Got the update to JB installed - a big thanks to Skunkape60 for your help!

    Is there a way to verify that my SD card is indeed formatted to FAT32?
    If recovery read the file from the external sdcard, then you have the fat32 file system on it.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  6. #306  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    If recovery read the file from the external sdcard, then you have the fat32 file system on it.
    Well, that settles that! Thanks again. I see that Google Search wants to be updated right away after the JB update. Is there any reason NOT to update it? Will I again lose the ability to search my contacts, etc.? If so, can I just install the apk like before?
  7. #307  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntchwaidumela View Post
    No, it will not get pushed to your phone because the method in post #2 gives you the Official update. It's just that you'll update manually rather than OTA. The Sprint network will recognize that your phone already has the update and that it is already up to date. After you use the post #2 method for the update, you can go to Settings>About device to verify everything.
    just got an ota "notice" from sprint stating jb 4.1 will be pushed to my s3 "shortly"... i already did the manual update from this thread post 2, and the build number on the sprint notice matches the build number on my phone... just puttin that out there
  8. #308  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    After doing the manual update from post #2 in this thread earlier today, I get a pop-up message just now, 'Attention: Unable to find software on your PC that can recognize your device. Service pack 3, Windows Media Player, version 10 or higher, for Windows XP or Android File Transfer for Mac OS must be installed. You can download and install PC Kies from http://www.samsung.com/kies in order to sync data with your device, back up data, and upgrade your device (Windows and Mac OS are supported)' My laptop is running Windows 7.
    Any idea on why I am seeing this??
    Ramil Mammadov likes this.
  9. #309  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    I did it if I can do it anybody can I don't know shyt about roms or anything my Phone is completely stock out of the box I left it like that I followed the 2nd original post to a tee and it works when u hold down the volume up and power button and home button as soon as you see samsung with blue lettering at top right hand coner let everything thing go ...and hit update and its a rap not trying to sound like a infomercial but its as easy as 123 and I am not expericed at all when it comes to this good looking op I appreciate it.
  10. #310  
    merrix's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Ok, so I got the OTA update and pressed install. The install failed, so I went ahead and downloaded the file (post 2) and went to update that way. I got the following error, What does this mean?

    The phone is stock current on 4.0.4

    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your way to Update...-20121104_195505.jpg  
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #311  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by merrix View Post
    Ok, so I got the OTA update and pressed install. The install failed, so I went ahead and downloaded the file (post 2) and went to update that way. I got the following error, What does this mean?

    The phone is stock current on 4.0.4

    Thanks
    It's telling you that your not as stock as you thought. It's saying your system files don't match what is supposed to be there.

    Your only options at this point are to take your phone to Sprint or to use method in post #3
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  12. #312  
    merrix's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    It's telling you that your not as stock as you thought. It's saying your system files don't match what is supposed to be there.

    Your only options at this point are to take your phone to Sprint or to use method in post #3

    I just bought the phone used. I ran root checker, oh well.

    Thanks, at least know I know what to do to fix it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #313  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by merrix View Post
    I just bought the phone used. I ran root checker, oh well.

    Thanks, at least know I know what to do to fix it.
    Most likely the guy that had it before you removed some bloatware. Then unrooted before selling it.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  14. #314  
    The Duck's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Actually my phone did the same thing. Got the notification over the weekend and tried doing the ota. It started to show an update then stopped. No modifications at all. It's not rooted. Now it says that there is not an update available. huh? Personally, I need the phone more than the update.
    quack
  15. #315  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by thecorrigan44 View Post
    Quick question...

    If I use the method in post #2, will the JB update still get pushed to my phone by Sprint?
    I used this method and it worked perfectly. Thanks Skunkape.
  16. #316  
    FreddyFredFred's Avatar

    Posts
    112 Posts
    ROM
    CM-10

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    I installed this from post #2.
    Is this the same as the OTA that will come out?
    I can't get Google Now to open with swiping up. Anyone know how to fix this?
    Or, point me to the right place?
    Thanks!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #317  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyFredFred View Post
    I installed this from post #2.
    Is this the same as the OTA that will come out?
    I can't get Google Now to open with swiping up. Anyone know how to fix this?
    Or, point me to the right place?
    Thanks!
    I don't think it's even supposed to do that. That sounds more like a launcher setup option you would need to setup.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  18. #318  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Swiping up will launch Google Now on the Nexus 7...

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  19. #319  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    According to Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

    "Get to Google Search faster: Google Search can be opened directly from the lock screen by swiping up. For devices with software navigation keys, you can now swipe up from the system bar to quickly access Google Search with Google Now. For devices with a hardware search key, you can tap it to launch Google Search. "
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #320  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by thecorrigan44 View Post
    According to Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

    "Get to Google Search faster: Google Search can be opened directly from the lock screen by swiping up. For devices with software navigation keys, you can now swipe up from the system bar to quickly access Google Search with Google Now. For devices with a hardware search key, you can tap it to launch Google Search. "
    Correct this phone has a hardware search key. Press and hold the settings button. Which is the gs3 hardware search button.

    If you have the shortcuts on the lock screen. You can Swype up on the g icon and open it but not from the home screen.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  21. #321  
    FreddyFredFred's Avatar

    Posts
    112 Posts
    ROM
    CM-10

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Thanks for the replies. Just everything I had read and all videos about GN, all have said "simply swipe up from any screen to access it" or something close to that. I added it to my lockscreen icons. I had previously replaced it with s-search or whatever it was called.
    I am happy enough now with the hold menu button and icon on my lockscreen.
    I guess that photo sphere gimmick doesn't come until 4.2? I couldn't wait to try that and now I don't even have it :{
  22. #322  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Long hold on the menu key to open Google Now is working. Only downside is that my Swiftkey 3 keyboard opens automatically and covers the Google Now cards.
  23. #323  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Do i have to rename the file once it's saved to the external SD card?
    thanks!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #324  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Quote Originally Posted by jjdburk View Post
    Do i have to rename the file once it's saved to the external SD card?
    thanks!
    No. Do not rename the file.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  25. #325  

    Default Re: Your way to Update...

    Just wanted to say thanks for these files. I used it to upgrade my phone last month and despite my patents buying their phones together just 2 days ago, my moms phone got the JB update while my dads hadn't yet. He's thrilled I updated it for him.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [HOW-TO] Undervolt your way to 18+ hours per charge. (And overclock too!) 2.1 ONLY
    By El Poblano in forum Motorola X Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 11:40 AM
  2. [Mac OS X] Is there yet any way to update modem/radio?
    By DUB in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
  3. Any way to update a manually instally APK through the market?
    By Hugh Johnson in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM
  4. What's the best way to update to VC?
    By uberjam545 in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
  5. Any way to Update ALL Apps in Android Market?
    By Casey Chan in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions