Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Default Re: Your way to Update...

Ossum. Gonna give this a shot when i get off work in a few hours

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by droid976 View Post
    well I used the 1st mirror site i loaded it onto the phone and.......all data and apps gone! but at least I GOT JELLY BEAN!

ty skunk!
    So u got jelly bean on ur sprint s3?

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOODANT215 View Post
    So u got jelly bean on ur sprint s3?

Thanks for the info I will update the post.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

You keep saying unrooted unrooted but dude those steps are all for rooted phones. Does anyone have the manually update push so we can manually update our phones?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneeee View Post
    You keep saying unrooted unrooted but dude those steps are all for rooted phones. Does anyone have the manually update push so we can manually update our phones?
    No it is not available. When available I will post. However there are several methods that do not require root. however, these methods completely wipe your data and require flashing in odin but still do not require root.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneeee View Post
    Not yet

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Link for Update Zip Coming Soon...
    This little grouping of words has been the death of me today I've been scouring the internet high and low for the download OTA link that Skunkape is mentioning here. Sadly I haven't had any luck even though all the source information has been posted to the Samsung Open Source site. Here's hoping its soon!

Also, it seems like a very limited number of people may have been included in this first wave. Haven't really seen anyone that says they actually HAVE the JB update and received it OTA. Hoping that changes soon!!
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

Has anyone tried Kies to pull the update?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Why does this require a factory reset? And is the only difference between this and post 2 custom recovery? Why will post 2 not require a factory reset? I am just a bit confused. I have been following these threads and have read everything. I thought OTA is not supposed to wipe the phone. So why do we need to factory reset with post 4 and not post 2.

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    Why does this require a factory reset? And is the only difference between this and post 2 custom recovery? Why will post 2 not require a factory reset? I am just a bit confused. I have been following these threads and have read everything. I thought OTA is not supposed to wipe the phone. So why do we need to factory reset with post 4 and not post 2.
    Navinag - regarding the methods noted above: In post 2, the link that will hopefully be available soon manually takes the phone to the update site and pulls down the site (from Google's servers I believe). You then apply this update through using the Stock Recovery (steps outlined in the post) and the phone does its thing. This has ZERO impact on what you have set up, does not require root, and is fairly easy. Its just like getting/applying the update.

The method in post 4 is the equivalent of installing a brand new operating system on your phone. That requires you to delete all apps/data/messages/etc. At this point only the "image" files of the operating system are available and not a direct link to the OTA server. This particular method requires to have a root and custom recovery on your device. If I'm not mistaken any time you "flash a rom" (aka installing a new OS) you would need to utilize a custom recovery as this is not available within the stock recovery. That being said, you can't install custom recovery without root access.

So after all those words, I hope I was able to answer your question. I will be holding off and using the method in post 2 as this will allow me to preserve my settings that I currently have. If I notice a handful of issues I may perform a full reset but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    The update file for post 2 is not avaiable yet.

Post 3 is a full tar image which overwrites whatever is on you phone. It is basically how the software was loaded on your phone from the factory. This does not require root or custom recovery. It does require you to download Odin.

Post 4 is a full rom. which is also not an update. If you are rooted and have custom recovery you can flash this in custom recovery. You don't have to do a factory reset but it is always suggested.
    Thanked by:

Restoring all apps , everything seen to be ok. i think i was able to keep root

If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
    2. Wipe cache dalvik, factory Reset
    3. Flash ROM
    4. Flash Firmware
    5. Reboot

LG G2 Verizon LTE
    Nexus 4 ST TMO
    Galaxy S 3 Sprint LTE [ Retired ]
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G Verizon LTE [ Retired ]
    Nexus S 4G [ Retired ]
    Xoom Tablet 3.0 Honeycomb [ Retired ]
    HTC Evo 2.3.3| [ Retired ]
    Palm Pre [ Retired ]
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by clavodulce16 View Post
    Restoring all apps , everything seen to be ok. i think i was able to keep root
    Yes, this is pre rooted.

ROM
    Whatever suits me

So if I don't want the update if it comes through because I have a custom ROM do I still just accept it like the last one and it will fail and stop notifying me?
    Or is this different?

I'm running the new Wicked Sensations Personal ROM and I'm assuming there aren't any that will work with the update anyway.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by kanizzle View Post
    Has anyone tried Kies to pull the update?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    I was told this update will not be posted on kies.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

The safest route is to wait for you guys to post the update file. This way will not require (or suggest) a factory wipe but should install on a current rooted stock recovery like an OTA would.
    middlebill likes this.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

people that get the update first, please extract the URL of the update file and posted it here so people that hadnt gotten the update can manually download it instead of waiting weeks for the OTA to hit their phones... it gets stored in /cache. once someone gets the OTA they can pull it from there.
    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela and valen2384 like this.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Does restoring all apps function restore launcher and or phone settings.. I have not used this feature yet

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just received an email notification from Samsung announcing that Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S3 is available. It actually has some very good info, most of it already posted in AC. But still good info. However, it doesn't include a link to install it for the individual carriers who have released it. My suggestion was for such links to be included in future notifications so those who choose to install the updates can do so without having to wait for the "gradually-released" OTA notification to reach our phones. Of course, this notification was from Samsung and not from Sprint. So...

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I flashed the rom first, then the firmware, and now I can't make calls. Says I'm not authorized, do I need a different modem file?

Hmm, seems like I can receive calls, but get the male msg that my phone isn't authorized to make calls.
    Tried Update PRL and Update Profile, still can't make calls.

Dr. Dave 'Wheels' Royal
    Last edited by DrRoyal; 10-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.

I was told this update will not be posted on kies.
    I don't think it will. Mainly cause you can updated your phone using kies

Any one try those with a dock. And see if they fixed where it wasn't working right.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ab30494 View Post
    Any one try those with a dock. And see if they fixed where it wasn't working right.

I don't think that was for our phone.

Skunkape I'm rooted and have you to thank for it as it was a first for me. I have teamepic recovery. Is that what you mean by custom recovery? Also do I wipe Dalvik thru my Titanium backup app and how do I do a factory reset? Also odexed or de-odexed?

I don't think that was for our phone.
    I will install jellybean with odin and i will see. Will let you know if it works or not
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast