Your way to Update...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Here is a thread where I will try and keep everyone up to date. I will post answers and links pertaining to the JellyBean update that is hopefully being rolled out tomorrow. I will post the different methods to update as they come out. Lets try and keep questions and update information in one place. Once the update hits and information starts rolling, I will have this thread stickied where it will be easy to find. So lets start with who can get the update and how...

If your phone is 100% Stock Unrooted without any of the required bloatware removed and stock recovery, you should be able to get the ota without issue. We have seen people completely stock still have issue however few and far between.

There will be a manual method to apply the update for those that don't want to wait for the ota.

If you are rooted and have the stock recovery, you will be able to except the update but may lose root. Get the ota rootkeeper from the play store to and save your root. You can also use it to temporarily disable root if it makes you feel better.

If you are rooted and have a stock rom with a custom recovery there will be a way (most likely within hours of the release) for you to update and keep root.

If you are on a custom rom there will no way for you to get the update until your rom's developer updates it. Or you use one of the other methods.

There will be a lot of you wanting to go back to stock so here's a link and a file for you.

Return To Stock If you used this return to stock method then the normal update zip file won't work for you. This UPDATE ZIP has been edited to work with this return to stock method. Please thank billard412 from xda for both of these files.

Stock Recovery Must be flashed in Odin or Mobile odin

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Rooted or Unrooted - Stock Rom with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery.

Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

And here it is at last....
UPDATE ZIP IS HERE! And yes it works.

I would like to thank skiskilo and mdmitchell13 for continuing to search for this long after I went to bed.

If you used the return to stock zip in Post #1 then the update zip file posted above will not work.

Use this EDITED UPDATE ZIP File if you returned to stock using the method in Post #1. Please thank billard412 for getting this updated file to us.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Here is your first upgrade to Official JellyBean Method.

Anyone can do this regardless of what you have installed on your phone. It is a complete tar image of the Offiacial JellyBean being pushed by sprint. You will need to flash this tar file in Desktop Odin. This file has been prerooted and since it is official, it will not add to your flash counts. I am at work so I can't upload it to my server. but I will provide several links to get this. The instrucions for flashing is also linked below.This file while pre-rooted, doesn't install custom recovery. So you will have to install that yourself. This method will wipe data and apps.

Instructions

jb_prerooted_L710.exe

Please thank billard412 for his Contribution HERE.

One of these downloads is a self extracting zip that includes odin if you already have odin you won't need it

Here is the Official tar file Un-Rooted and will become the official return to stock file. This will factory reset your device. This is also flashed in desktop Odin and will NOT add to your flash count.Download unzip and flash to your phone using Odin.

Official JellyBean LJ7 Return to stock/Update to JellyBean tar
Please thank sextape for his valuable contribution.

[Guide] HOW TO FLASH IN ODIN 3.07

Note: Flashing the PreRooted tar will not install install custom recovery. So after the phone reboots, go back into download mode and flash custom recovery in odin or you can flash it in mobile odin from your phone. Mobile Odin is available in the play store.

You can download CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2 HERE

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and that's a big IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... the update really does come tomorrow, what's that thing you can clear the cache for to make the update come to your phone? I did it for the L13 update, is it Google Framework Services or is it something else? I am 99.999999999999% sure it is, just wanna make sure!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and that's a big IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... the update really does come tomorrow, what's that thing you can clear the cache for to make the update come to your phone? I did it for the L13 update, is it Google Framework Services or is it something else? I am 99.999999999999% sure it is, just wanna make sure!

You can try that. It doesn't make it come to your phone unless it had already been pushed to your phone and some how you missed it.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I ended up having to download it from the Google server due to the traffic in order to manually install on my phone.

The update took first try and no issues with the phone so far.

S3 is smoother, transitions are different. Lots of new menues and Google Now seems to be a fun gadget.

Battery life seems to be in par with how it was before the update.

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to reserve my space on this thread in order to get my update? :)

I reserved the spots so that as each method to update comes out, they will be easy to find.

This way we can kind of keep the different methods in a single thread but not have them scattered throughout the thread.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know bout you guys, but I just don't have this tingling running up my leg for this update. I mean I'm glad it's coming and I want to try it out but I just don't feel it's like Xmas........with that said...... Bring On The Beans!

30glock

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am on a leaked version of this, and it is flawless everything works.,.However i noticed that my Baseband V. is L710VPBLJ7 this is slightly different from what will be rolled out, Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? I don't feel there is a need to go back to stock if both Roms are Identicle.. Skunk thanks for your work..

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am on a leaked version of this, and it is flawless everything works.,.However i noticed that my Baseband V. is L710VPBLJ7 this is slightly different from what will be rolled out, Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? I don't feel there is a need to go back to stock if both Roms are Identicle.. Skunk thanks for your work..

LTE system selection improvements is one of the improvements listed. So yes. I would say that updating the firmware would be advisable. There will be a way to update the firmware separately. So if you are already on an LJ7 ROM, there ids probably no real reason to update that.
As soon as I am able, I will post the updated firmware in one of the Qst posts in this thread.

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Wait, so jelly bean for sprint gs3 is due tomorrow? Really?
Thats what its looking like. I cant wait. I find it funny cuz i was JUST about to root and install a custom rom when i read the news.

Also..great thread skunkape. Youre one of the most helpful members on this forum.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

kahoon

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
LTE system selection improvements is one of the improvements listed. So yes. I would say that updating the firmware would be advisable. There will be a way to update the firmware separately. So if you are already on an LJ7 ROM, there ids probably no real reason to update that.
As soon as I am able, I will post the updated firmware in one of the Qst posts in this thread.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Info only: I checked for the update this morning, but nothing coming through from Sprint yet. Of course it's early yet. Has anyone thought of going to a Sprint store to see if they will download it for you? If it's available, they've surely got it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781