Page 1 of 14 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Ambassador

Default Your way to Update...

Here is a thread where I will try and keep everyone up to date. I will post answers and links pertaining to the JellyBean update that is hopefully being rolled out tomorrow. I will post the different methods to update as they come out. Lets try and keep questions and update information in one place. Once the update hits and information starts rolling, I will have this thread stickied where it will be easy to find. So lets start with who can get the update and how...

If your phone is 100% Stock Unrooted without any of the required bloatware removed and stock recovery, you should be able to get the ota without issue. We have seen people completely stock still have issue however few and far between.

There will be a manual method to apply the update for those that don't want to wait for the ota.

If you are rooted and have the stock recovery, you will be able to except the update but may lose root. Get the ota rootkeeper from the play store to and save your root. You can also use it to temporarily disable root if it makes you feel better.

If you are rooted and have a stock rom with a custom recovery there will be a way (most likely within hours of the release) for you to update and keep root.

If you are on a custom rom there will no way for you to get the update until your ROMs developer updates it. Or you use one of the other methods.

There will be a lot of you wanting to go back to stock so here's a link and a file for you.

Return To Stock If you used this return to stock method then the normal update zip file won't work for you. has been edited to work with this return to stock method. Please thank billard412 from xda for both of these files.

Must be flashed in Odin or Mobile odin
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 10-29-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by 16:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Your way to Update...

This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Rooted or Unrooted - Stock Rom with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery.

Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

And here it is at last....
    And yes it works.

I would like to thank skiskilo and mdmitchell13 for continuing to search for this long after I went to bed.

If you used the return to stock zip in Post #1 then the update zip file posted above will not work.

Use this if you returned to stock using the method in Post #1. Please thank billard412 for getting this updated file to us.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 10-29-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Thanked by 56:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Retired Ambassador

Here is your first upgrade to Official JellyBean Method.

Anyone can do this regardless of what you have installed on your phone. It is a complete tar image of the Offiacial JellyBean being pushed by sprint. You will need to flash this tar file in Desktop Odin. This file has been prerooted and since it is official, it will not add to your flash counts. I am at work so I can't upload it to my server. but I will provide several links to get this. The instrucions for flashing is also linked below.This file while pre-rooted, doesn't install custom recovery. So you will have to install that yourself. This method will wipe data and apps.

Instructions

Please thank billard412 for his Contribution .

One of these downloads is a self extracting zip that includes odin if you already have odin you won't need it

Here is the Official tar file Un-Rooted and will become the official return to stock file. This will factory reset your device. This is also flashed in desktop Odin and will NOT add to your flash count.Download unzip and flash to your phone using Odin.

[Guide] HOW TO FLASH IN ODIN 3.07

Note: Flashing the PreRooted tar will not install install custom recovery. So after the phone reboots, go back into download mode and flash custom recovery in odin or you can flash it in mobile odin from your phone. Mobile Odin is available in the play store.

You can download CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-04-2012 at 08:01 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Retired Ambassador

If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
    2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
    3. Flash Firmware
    4. Flash ROM
    5. Reboot

Last edited by Skunkape60; 10-26-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Just wondering IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and that's a big IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... the update really does come tomorrow, what's that thing you can clear the cache for to make the update come to your phone? I did it for the L13 update, is it Google Framework Services or is it something else? I am 99.999999999999% sure it is, just wanna make sure!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Just wondering IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and that's a big IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... the update really does come tomorrow, what's that thing you can clear the cache for to make the update come to your phone? I did it for the L13 update, is it Google Framework Services or is it something else? I am 99.999999999999% sure it is, just wanna make sure!
    You can try that. It doesn't make it come to your phone unless it had already been pushed to your phone and some how you missed it.
    Thanked by:

I ended up having to download it from the Google server due to the traffic in order to manually install on my phone.

The update took first try and no issues with the phone so far.

S3 is smoother, transitions are different. Lots of new menues and Google Now seems to be a fun gadget.

Battery life seems to be in par with how it was before the update.

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3
    Last edited by bdmridgback; 10-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Wait, so jelly bean for sprint gs3 is due tomorrow? Really?

Do we first need to have already installed all previous updates to get JB?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Do we first need to have already installed all previous updates to get JB?

Absolutly will need to be up to date to receive the ota.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

Do I need to reserve my space on this thread in order to get my update?
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mobdad View Post
    Do I need to reserve my space on this thread in order to get my update?
    I reserved the spots so that as each method to update comes out, they will be easy to find.

This way we can kind of keep the different methods in a single thread but not have them scattered throughout the thread.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    LIH Jelly Bean Leak

I know. Just kidding Looks like you are in for a busy weekend.
    HTC Touch2 -> Palm Pre -> HTC Evo4G -> Samsung Epic 4G Touch -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I don't know bout you guys, but I just don't have this tingling running up my leg for this update. I mean I'm glad it's coming and I want to try it out but I just don't feel it's like Xmas........with that said...... Bring On The Beans!

I am on a leaked version of this, and it is flawless everything works.,.However i noticed that my Baseband V. is L710VPBLJ7 this is slightly different from what will be rolled out, Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? I don't feel there is a need to go back to stock if both Roms are Identicle.. Skunk thanks for your work..
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by 30glock View Post
    I am on a leaked version of this, and it is flawless everything works.,.However i noticed that my Baseband V. is L710VPBLJ7 this is slightly different from what will be rolled out, Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? I don't feel there is a need to go back to stock if both Roms are Identicle.. Skunk thanks for your work..
    LTE system selection improvements is one of the improvements listed. So yes. I would say that updating the firmware would be advisable. There will be a way to update the firmware separately. So if you are already on an LJ7 ROM, there ids probably no real reason to update that.
    As soon as I am able, I will post the updated firmware in one of the Qst posts in this thread.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by stas333 View Post
    Wait, so jelly bean for sprint gs3 is due tomorrow? Really?
    Thats what its looking like. I cant wait. I find it funny cuz i was JUST about to root and install a custom rom when i read the news.

Also..great thread skunkape. Youre one of the most helpful members on this forum.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    As soon as I am able, I will post the updated firmware in one of the Qst posts in this thread.
    You sir are the man....Thanks

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

LTE system selection improvements is one of the improvements listed. So yes. I would say that updating the firmware would be advisable. There will be a way to update the firmware separately. So if you are already on an LJ7 ROM, there ids probably no real reason to update that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Info only: I checked for the update this morning, but nothing coming through from Sprint yet. Of course it's early yet. Has anyone thought of going to a Sprint store to see if they will download it for you? If it's available, they've surely got it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExTheGod View Post
    Thats what its looking like. I cant wait. I find it funny cuz i was JUST about to root and install a custom rom when i read the news.

Also..great thread skunkape. Youre one of the most helpful members on this forum.

+1

Sent From The 3rd Galaxy Via Subspace
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Ntchwaidumela View Post
    Info only: I checked for the update this morning, but nothing coming through from Sprint yet. Of course it's early yet. Has anyone thought of going to a Sprint store to see if they will download it for you? If it's available, they've surely got it.
    There are already two ways to manually update your phone in the op.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

There are already two ways to manually update your phone in the op.
    Sweet, waiting on the easy way to upgrade via storage card for unrooted phone.

ROM
    Phantom's Blazer V1.6LG2

well I used the 1st mirror site i loaded it onto the phone and.......all data and apps gone! but at least I GOT JELLY BEAN!

ty skunk!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by stas333 View Post
    Sweet, waiting on the easy way to upgrade via storage card for unrooted phone.
    Still haven't found one yet. However the return to stock one (post 3) will most likely not erase your data.

Since I'm at work right now all of these files are on different servers. When I get off work I will start downloading them and move them to my server as time permits. I will also clean up the posts a bit to make eveything easier for the beginners.
Page 1 of 14 1234 ... LastLast