Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!

My battery life has been ridiculously good now! I did have the battery drain that many seem to be having or had but after reformatting and resetting my device, it seems that whatever corrupt files where draining the battery are no longer there. I know many of you don't want to take this route but if you are still having problems with JB, this is your best choice!

I turned off Google Now....got a bit better but now my Maps and Media are eating up battery. Location history is off....any ideas on eaither?

Down to 78% after 3hrs......

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    My battery life has been ridiculously good now! I did have the battery drain that many seem to be having or had but after reformatting and resetting my device, it seems that whatever corrupt files where draining the battery are no longer there. I know many of you don't want to take this route but if you are still having problems with JB, this is your best choice!
    I'm definitely holding out hope that I don't have to do this. I just hate losing all of my progess/settings/game data. I've found that some of the battery drain seems to have gotten better as a result of disabling the Samsung Account syncing. Still above where I was, but not as bad as it had gotten. I'm also seeing a large amount on Maps and I'm assuming this is Location History as a result of Google Now. Since I want to try using this, I'm going to see how it progresses.
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by oskar1995 View Post
    I'm definitely holding out hope that I don't have to do this. I just hate losing all of my progess/settings/game data. I've found that some of the battery drain seems to have gotten better as a result of disabling the Samsung Account syncing. Still above where I was, but not as bad as it had gotten. I'm also seeing a large amount on Maps and I'm assuming this is Location History as a result of Google Now. Since I want to try using this, I'm going to see how it progresses.
    I have had my Google Now and Loc History off for over a day now....Map is still eating up battery.

The first charge after the update didn't last to long,maybe 8 hours of light use. I let the battery drop down to 2% then did a reboot. Been great ever since!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ok....literally searched email and went on facebook and battery is going down fast...what is this media b.s. that is eating my battery

sent from my badazz sammy s3...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!-uploadfromtaptalk1352033745746.jpg   Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!-uploadfromtaptalk1352033770844.jpg  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by dbrides View Post
    Ok....literally searched email and went on facebook and battery is going down fast...what is this media b.s. that is eating my battery

sent from my badazz sammy s3...
    Try removing your media files from your phone. for a couple of days. If you are like most of us, most of your media files are on you external sd card. So just remove your external sd card for a couple of days and see if media goes down.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:

I suddenly (as in the last 2 days) have the Android core apps killing my battery. I had been getting a good 3 hours of screen time, and 30 hours, post Jelly Bean. It started off getting awful battery life, got good, and now blows.

Just to give you guys a perspective of how your battery life should be.....last night, i charged my phone to 100% right before going to bed....went through flip board quickly and went to bed with 98% battery life.....did not charge it over night obviously....woke up with 96% battery life. This is how your battery life should be behaving on JB.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Just to give you guys a perspective of how your battery life should be.....last night, i charged my phone to 100% right before going to bed....went through flip board quickly and went to bed with 98% battery life.....did not charge it over night obviously....woke up with 96% battery life. This is how your battery life should be behaving on JB.
    Yup exactly. I have Google Now on with location and what-not on as well (since you have to for Google Now to work), 1hr 25min of screen time on and I've gotten 1 Day 4 Hrs (28 Hrs) with still 10% left.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

I'm just curious, who doesn't charge their phone every night and why?? Would you go several days without charging your laptop? Why is this phone any different?!

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>
    Buddlespit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    I'm just curious, who doesn't charge their phone every night and why?? Would you go several days without charging your laptop? Why is this phone any different?!

I charge mine EVERY night! Last night, I was texting and using my phone heavily so I ran it down to 8% by 8pm so I needed to charge it. When I went to bed, it was at 100% so I didn't feel the need to leave it charging over night, ya know! I lost 2% from 2am to 10:30am!

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

I charge mine EVERY night! Last night, I was texting and using my phone heavily so I ran it down to 8% by 8pm so I needed to charge it. When I went to bed, it was at 100% so I didn't feel the need to leave it charging over night, ya know! I lost 2% from 2am to 10:30am!
    Well then I wasn't referring to you, goofball. I think I lose more than 2% an hour but maybe I won't charge it tonight and see.

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Mine is getting better and better day by day. Android system is the biggest hog after the screen (surface flinger). Whatever the hell that is is killing my battery life
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

I dont get what the big fuss is!! Google Now and all it's features are ON.

Sent from my JellyBeaned GS3 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!-uploadfromtaptalk1352061690741.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    Well then I wasn't referring to you, goofball. I think I lose more than 2% an hour but maybe I won't charge it tonight and see.

I wasn't accusing you silly head!! lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    I dont get what the big fuss is!! Google Now and all it's features are ON.

Sent from my JellyBeaned GS3 using Android Central Forums
    And after 1 Day 6 hrs and 36 min it finally died. 30 hrs 36 min on the battery, no complaints here...

So, I tried to kill my phone today... 15 hrs 27 mins, 17% battery left. I also have 3 hrs and 27 mins of screen time on. Oh, and I didn't use auto screen.

I feel like this is actually decent. 3.5 hrs of screen time is good right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Try removing your media files from your phone. for a couple of days. If you are like most of us, most of your media files are on you external sd card. So just remove your external sd card for a couple of days and see if media goes down.
    I removed my card then rebooted and charged my phone. The media task has disappeared from the list. It had been holding steady at 43% usage.

Thank you for this tip, I never would have thought corrupt files would affect the battery that dramatically.

Next question: how do you find out which files on the SD card are corrupt? Or is it just a format issue?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Longtime Palm and webOS user. Still bummed. But Android is pretty nice.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    I removed my card then rebooted and charged my phone. The media task has disappeared from the list. It had been holding steady at 43% usage.

Thank you for this tip, I never would have thought corrupt files would affect the battery that dramatically.

Next question: how do you find out which files on the SD card are corrupt? Or is it just a format issue?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    I just backup all my files to the computer and then just delete all the files on the sd card. You can format it if you want but do not format using the phone and always format using the fat32 file system. You can try adding back files one folder at at time but I find it easier to just start from scratch.

I formatted using the phone. it worked like a charm for me. With my normal use, I am almost back to pre ICS levels.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    I formatted using the phone. it worked like a charm for me. With my normal use, I am almost back to pre ICS levels.
    The problem with formatting with the phone is the phone formats to the exfat file system. It should be well known by now that recovery can't read cards formatted with exfat. So if you ever need to access any files on your card from recovery you won't be able to.
    jhill110 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    The problem with formatting with the phone is the phone formats to the exfat file system. It should be well known by now that recovery can't read cards formatted with exfat. So if you ever need to access any files on your card from recovery you won't be able to.
    Hey Skunk, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a file size limit with fat32 format? Wouldn't exFat be a better solution with our MTD partitioned cells? I understand that recovery wouldn't be able to read any files that are not in a fat32 formatted system but if you want better performance, wouldn't it be better to be on a exFat system?

I reformatted and got rid of the media task....but now my top killer is "Media Server" What is this and why is it killing my battery? 7hrs 14m 63% Discharge
    Retired Ambassador

Hey Skunk, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a file size limit with fat32 format? Wouldn't exFat be a better solution with our MTD partitioned cells? I understand that recovery wouldn't be able to read any files that are not in a fat32 formatted system but if you want better performance, wouldn't it be better to be on a exFat system?
    The exfat file system is more efficient for storage as the cluster size is smaller. I really don't know how it compares to fat32 as far as performance. I don't think it will make a difference because the majority aren't running apps on it.

The main reason I keep pushing using fat32 is the majority of us will eventually need to access it from recovery. If you knew how many times I had to address this both in the forums (during the manual update) and even more in pm's you would understand.

I know everyone isn't rooting their phones but if you do, having you card in fat32 is almost a necessity because almost everything you do is in recovery.

Like I said, not everyone is rooting but how many people were installing the update manually? And how many times was the issue raised?

And yes there is a file size limit with fat32 but in all of my years on computer or phone I've never reached it.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast