Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You obviously don't use your phone.
I didn't use mine much today. Dozen or so texts and a few short calls. Screen almost all the way turned down with auto turned OFF and all sync turned off.

You may have some of that off but from your screenshot it looks like the phone was awake pretty much the whole time.. So that explains the battery drop. What was your screen on time? I keep sync on, Google Now on, screen at half brightness with auto on... And as you can see from my previous post I got pretty good battery life.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2297505

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My AVG Battery life according to Gsam Battery Monitor is 23hrs 45min. Not too shabby! Just bought the Hyperion Extended Battery (4200 mAh) can't wait to charge it up tonight and see how this baby works tomorrow!!

afrasay

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they're not fixing this. That format SD card doesn't work. Even that map thingie. Those apps downloads would only messed up if not suck more battery power. They, whoever they are, want us to download more apps to find a way to bring back the previous ICS power consumption. After 2 hrs of light use I'm down 85 % from full charge. Hope they have an OTA option to revert back to ICS.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they're not fixing this. That format SD card doesn't work. Even that map thingie. Those apps downloads would only messed up if not suck more battery power. They, whoever they are, want us to download more apps to find a way to bring back the previous ICS power consumption. After 2 hrs of light use I'm down 85 % from full charge. Hope they have an OTA option to revert back to ICS.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2292736

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am getting around 14 hours of battery life. Don't think I use my phone too heavily and I don't seem to have the media issue. That said I have removed the memory card and will see what happens over the next couple of days. I think that I will charge the phone to 100% tonight before I go to bed and then unplug it and see what battery %age I have in the morning. 14 hours is not bad, but I'd love to get it up to the 20+ hours that other people are getting.

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Right now im at 60% after just about 16 hours. I had the media issue but then i formatted my sd card and did a factory reset and it's not a problem anymore

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I turned OFF "Sprint Connection Optimizer" and just turned my WiFi on all the time.

I turned OFF the "Auto Adjust Screen Tone"

I turned ON "Battery Power Saving Mode" minus the CPU

I turned OFF the "Auto Location Update" in Google Maps but have Google Now turned ON

I manually Sync everything when needed

Screen brightness is at about 40% with Auto turned OFF

Battery seems to be doing pretty good now and included a usage screenshot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352329770914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352329770914.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 44

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am getting around 14 hours of battery life. Don't think I use my phone too heavily and I don't seem to have the media issue. That said I have removed the memory card and will see what happens over the next couple of days. I think that I will charge the phone to 100% tonight before I go to bed and then unplug it and see what battery %age I have in the morning. 14 hours is not bad, but I'd love to get it up to the 20+ hours that other people are getting.

So, I charged my phone to 100% last night and took the phone off charge sometime around 11:30pm (maybe a little later) when I woke up this morning I was down to 83%. Phone was basically sat for 8 hours doing nothing, at least not be my :) A couple of screen shots below (not sure why they aren't showing the scree shots rather than a link). To the person that said that they only dropped 2-4% over night that's fantastic, wish I could get that too. I don't seem to have the media issue but I took the memory card out anyway. The only media on my phone are photos taken with the camera and whatever apps have been installed. Screen is set to auto dim and I turned off location reporting in maps and google now. Any ideas why my phone would drop 17% in 8 hours of just sitting there? Was on WiFi all the time, or should have been. Not sure why Android OS is taking up 48%.

View attachment 45281 View attachment 45282

shmuker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi
The Galaxy S3 is my first Android phone, and I LOVE it! Beats iPhone for sure!
The only problem that I have is, my battery gets drained very fast, even when idle.
Screenshot_2012-11-09-12-32-02.png

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi
The Galaxy S3 is my first Android phone, and I LOVE it! Beats iPhone for sure!
The only problem that I have is, my battery gets drained very fast, even when idle.
View attachment 45474

Well you definitely still have the cell standby bug. Did you update to jellybean yet, cause that fixes the cell standby bug... then maybe your battery life will improve.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
What is a hard reset?

Press menu / system settings / Back up and reset / Chose the option factory data reset. It resets your phone to how it would come from the factory by removing all account settings, apps that you have installed and passwords. It does not clear or delete data saved to you internal or external sdcard.

shmuker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well you definitely still have the cell standby bug. Did you update to jellybean yet, cause that fixes the cell standby bug... then maybe your battery life will improve.
I got a notification from Sprint, about a week ago, that jellybean will be available in the next two weeks, is there a way that I can update to jellybean manually?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help.
As said in my first post, I am new to Android. My device is unrooted or anything, I did not play around with the system. Which install should I install on my pone. The link that you sent has a few ways to install.
Thanx in advance.

If you're phone is unrooted, the method in the 2nd post is the way you should do it.

Inn0cEnT

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I realize every one keep saying it was a corrupted SD card, but I do not use one.
Since the JB update, my phones battery is killing me it even drops the batter while on charge if used, last night I read up this and did a factory reset to check if every thing goes back to normal.
The battery drain still exist and its been close to 6 hours on charge with out use and the phones only got to 77% from 42% post the factory reset, I do not think this is right and am now going to try moving back to ICS until I can get a fix for this, let me know what is going wrong out here.

3z12m6lt7

kb62enwbr

And these are of the android system which seems to be dragging my battery down
5w3htcnzp

ytim08sc5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power