Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!

makissig

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody. I am new to the thread. Please read below, it seems to be a definite solution to the battery drain issue after installing Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

A few days ago I installed the update (Jelly Bean 4.1.2) to my Samsung Galaxy 3. After the installation, my battery was going down like crazy. I did not want to go through the process of doing a hard reset, so I did something very simple which I first read in another forum and then I also read it in this one as well. I used the phone until the battery was completely discharged, that is until the phone switched off by itself. After the device turned off automatically, I pressed the on button to make sure that I could not turn on the phone - in other words I wanted to make sure that the battery was completely discharged.

Then I charged the phone until the green light indicated that the battery was 100% charged. I unplugged the charger without turning on the phone, waited for about 10 minutes and then I plugged in the charger again. I noticed that the led turned red, indicating that the phone was again charging. I charged until the led went back to green (that is for about 10 min, but it might be better to charge longer, maybe for an hour). I unplugged the charger, I turned on the phone and the battery life went back to normal after that. It now discharges at about 1.2% per hour - I am happy with that.

Please follow the above process. It should work with everybody who has a problem with battery life after the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update. I am not a tech guy, but it might have something to do with battery memory or something like that.

I hope I helped. If yes, please spread this solution to this and other forums.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Both of my S3's are having issues with battery life after 4.1.2. One difference I noticed is that they are both disconnecting from WiFi very quickly after turning the screen off. Both devices were lasting an easy 15 hours on 4.1.1. I am lucky if I get 7 hours now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Go into settings and allow wifi to stay connected when in sleep mode

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Thanks for the tip. I changed this setting on both phones. Did this functionality change with 4.1.2? I don't recall having this issue until the 4.1.2 update. Regarding battery life, shouldn't we expect better battery life by letting WiFi stay connected in sleep mode vs trying to connect to 3G? Both phones are set up to sync with an Exchange email server via push, and thus will be frequently connecting after the screen goes dark.

I also decided to follow the tip regarding running the battery completely down and then fully charging it while it is powered off. Completed that last night/this morning.

We'll see if one or both of these resolved the issue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Go into settings and allow wifi to stay connected when in sleep mode

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Regarding battery life, shouldn't we expect better battery life by letting WiFi stay connected in sleep mode vs trying to connect to 3G? Both phones are set up to sync with an Exchange email server via push, and thus will be frequently connecting after the screen goes dark.

I think that's what kgk was saying. Turn sleep mode off, so WiFi stays connected during sleep. Keep WiFi on during sleep should by set to "Always."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think that's what kgk was saying. Turn sleep mode off, so WiFi stays connected during sleep. Keep WiFi on during sleep should by set to "Always."

What Meyer said. It will help a lot when wifi is staying on constant versus dropping and reconnecting a bunch. Just ensure its set to always and that will help.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362781966358.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362781966358.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been worse after the JB update. Biggest problem was the "media", but I rooted the phone and froze some of the apps affiliated with that. After that, I had problems with "media server". I tried formatting the micro SD card like has been suggested and that didn't really do anything. I think the media server problem has solved itself a week after the last update and I haven't had any drainage with that for a few days. Now, my battery life seems better but the biggest problem is "android system". That often drains the battery more than the screen time, according to the stats. I don't know, but there is a lot of crap "packages" that seem to be on under the android system and I wonder which ones we need or could be frozen without affecting the phone.

In all, this is the worst update for any phone I have ever had. And I can't believe that Google and Samsung can't see to figure this stuff out before rolling out updates.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
JB works perfectly for me. As has been repeated many times, the huge OTA updates can be really problematic is applied to a phone with a lot of apps and data already in place. Often, a factory reset is the only real answer.

For media server, be aware that downloads invoke media server, so if you're downloading a lot of apps or updates from the play store, or files from the web, media server will show a lot of battery usage.

Kurt Garloff

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
dosfsck found strange short filenames on /storage/sdcard0/Samsung subdirectories (some preinstalled Image, Music, Videos)
Backing those files up and copying them back got rid of that issue.
It seems to have helped with com.sec.android.providers.downloads CPU usage, but I'm unsure it's completely solved.
Watching the open file descriptors of media scan, it also seems to spend quite some time on the files in TitaniumBackup ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7