How do I actually use/incorporate Google Now?!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
We are just looking for ways to maximize it's potential. Without doing anything, it identified my drive to work and home, places of interest, weather and other items in 48hrs. But us nerds just want to see if there is anything else we can do to maximize it's use and show off the features. It also works well with natural voice unlike the first google voice search which required commands so I find it IS so simple that anyone can use it. If anything, it is us who are trying to hard because we are so used to voice search requiring configuration, commands, and a user manual when in reality Google Now is natural and requires virtually no setup.

This sums up how I feel to the tee!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
We are just looking for ways to maximize it's potential. Without doing anything, it identified my drive to work and home, places of interest, weather and other items in 48hrs. But us nerds just want to see if there is anything else we can do to maximize it's use and show off the features. It also works well with natural voice unlike the first google voice search which required commands so I find it IS so simple that anyone can use it. If anything, it is us who are trying to hard because we are so used to voice search requiring configuration, commands, and a user manual when in reality Google Now is natural and requires virtually no setup.

If you have an address in your appointments, Google now will let you know when you need to leave to arrive on time. Today I had a card telling me I needed to leave for my appointment.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Its worked fine for me. That's why I say it seems creepy. Shows all kinds of cards without me asking. The big plus is it seems like when I send feedback Google actually listens. Or is Now reading my mind again?
Do wish they had college football though. Other than that it does as Google advertises. Another tip is leaving your Wi-Fi on when its not connected to a network so GPS can have an accurate lock on your location.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Its worked fine for me. That's why I say it seems creepy. Shows all kinds of cards without me asking. The big plus is it seems like when I send feedback Google actually listens. Or is Now reading my mind again?
Do wish they had college football though. Other than that it does as Google advertises. Another tip is leaving your Wi-Fi on when its not connected to a network so GPS can have an accurate lock on your location.

Maybe if you think real hard Google now will read your mind and add college football.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't seem to know where I am. I've had it active since august with location enabled GPS on etc. I come home every day around 5 pm yet it still is giving me directions TO work, and right now at 10:30pm its giving me directions home! I've been home for 6 hours!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

What are your settings? Cause I have location on and web history on yet the only 2 cards I get are weather and the Knicks game lol. Randomly it will tell me how to get home from where I am too..

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have location tracking and web history enabled. Other than that nothing different than anyone else. I use Google search whenever possible.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
**In response to skunkape**
I don't have to think half as hard to figure out your kinda pissed that it doesn't work for you. Make your smart ass comments to the responsible party i.e. Google. Be sure to tell them how mad you are that Efyo's GNow works and yours doesn't. They just may fix it.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
New card popped up just now

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351747156053.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351747156053.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 26

lvguy1966

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Ya it doesn't work like it is supposed to, it says to open it you can swipe from the bottom of any screen....doesn't work....have to find the app and open it, and it's always just the same weather and 2 closest restaurants to where I live....kinda worthless. And is it supposed to popup stuff for you randomly, or do you need to keep opening it up at random times to see if there's anything new? If it's not open, how does it work?

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ya it doesn't work like it is supposed to, it says to open it you can swipe from the bottom of any screen....doesn't work....have to find the app and open it, and it's always just the same weather and 2 closest restaurants to where I live....kinda worthless. And is it supposed to popup stuff for you randomly, or do you need to keep opening it up at random times to see if there's anything new? If it's not open, how does it work?

It gives notifications in the status bar on my GNex.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
**In response to skunkape**
I don't have to think half as hard to figure out your kinda pissed that it doesn't work for you. Make your smart ass comments to the responsible party i.e. Google. Be sure to tell them how mad you are that Efyo's GNow works and yours doesn't. They just may fix it.

Dude the comment about the college football was a joke in response to what you said about Google now reading your mind. Get over it. :p

Goggle now works on my phone the way it's supposed to. I just don't like it. I think it's nothing more than a gimmick. It doesn't help me and clutters up my notification pull down. I prefer only having "message notifications" on the "notification" pulldown. I like the clean look.

I have already disabled Google Now so you don't have to waste your time telling me that if I don't like it, don't use it.

I have as much right to say what I think of Google Now as you do. Now that I know you dislike anyone criticizing Google Now, you can expect to see my comments whenever you see a post about Google Now. Again I'm joking (at least partially joking) :p

IMVHO... The best way to incorporate Google Now is by disabling it. ;)

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude the comment about the college football was a joke in response to what you said about Google now reading your mind. Get over it. :p

Goggle now works on my phone the way it's supposed to. I just don't like it. I think it's nothing more than a gimmick. It doesn't help me and clutters up my notification pull down. I prefer only having "message notifications" on the "notification" pulldown. I like the clean look.

I have already disabled Google Now so you don't have to waste your time telling me that if I don't like it, don't use it.

I have as much right to say what I think of Google Now as you do. Now that I know you dislike anyone criticizing Google Now, you can expect to see my comments whenever you see a post about Google Now. Again I'm joking (at least partially joking) :p

IMVHO... The best way to incorporate Google Now is by disabling it. ;)

You are sucha Google Now hater!! Hahahaa :)

paga912

May 16, 2010
Visit site
To be honest...Google now is only fun an useful if you actually do stuff. If you just sit home all day or go from work to home an back. You wont get any cards, so its rally all about you.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
To be honest...Google now is only fun an useful if you actually do stuff. If you just sit home all day or go from work to home an back. You wont get any cards, so its rally all about you.

LOL so true. But I live in Dutchess County in NY and not much "attractions" here, I feel like if I lived in NYC, Google Now would be 1000X better than it is now for me cause it'd show me all the attractions and what-not.

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Swiping up does not open Google Now for me. I had to add the Google icon to my home screen to make opening Google Now a bit more convenient. I also would like to know how to get the card that shows how many miles I've walked. I walk my dog twice a day and would love to know how many miles I cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol