Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain

Quote Originally Posted by dbrides View Post
    @Groove...did you reformat through phone or pc??

sent from my badazz sammy s3...
    I actually reformatted my 64gb card through my phone. I used my old 32gb SD card from my old Epic 4G to upgrade to JB since thats formatted in fat32. My Epic is rooted with CM9.

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdc1974 View Post
    Ok so it leaves Jelly Bean on and reverts everything to default settings. How do you do it?
    Settings > back up and reset> factory reset

>

I did all this stuff on my S3 and Hard Reset afterwards and still a battery hog. The only thing that makes my battery last anywhere near what it did on ICS is turning OFF Google Now. Today I did nothing on my phone seens how I was out on a job out off office. I sent about a dozen texts and a few pics and that was all. No WiFi all day, just got home.

Here is where I am at...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain-uploadfromtaptalk1352147618511.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bdmridgback View Post
    I did all this stuff on my S3 and Hard Reset afterwards and still a battery hog. The only thing that makes my battery last anywhere near what it did on ICS is turning OFF Google Now. Today I did nothing on my phone seens how I was out on a job out off office. I sent about a dozen texts and a few pics and that was all. No WiFi all day, just got home.

Here is where I am at...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    What exactly did you do to try and remedy your problem? Can you tell us?

Here is mine btw.....

Attachment 44859

Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain-screenshot_2012-11-05-16-17-02-1-.png
    ladyc0524 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

what the hell. how is your battery life so good
    Phone: LG G2
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    Rom Version: Stock

Tablet: Motorola Xoom
    Android Version: 4.0.4
    Rom Version: Stock

Retired: Htc Evo 4G
    Htc Evo 3d
    Samsung Galaxy S3

his pic shows he is not running any data. No 3G, wifi, or 4G.
    Retired Ambassador

For those having maps battery drain issues... Try this:
    Open maps app
    Goo to maps settings
    Turn off auto reporting.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    Tried what already??
    Remove.
    The.
    SD.
    Card.

Report back after.

:banghead:

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>
    tried removing the sd card and i also formatted it and it didnt work. media still drains my battery
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Attachment 44915 android system and the others are draining my battery. My phone was on airplane mode for most of the time and when I wasnt my battery woul. Drain 10 percent in 20 min

So comparatively speaking. Is this good or bad? To me it looks like the wake times are way off.. but ill let the experts chime in.
    Attachment 45036Attachment 45037
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    So comparatively speaking. Is this good or bad? To me it looks like the wake times are way off.. but ill let the experts chime in.
    bad

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Invalid attachment. try posting it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zeraworld View Post
    bad
    How so?? Can you see his attachment??

I had this issue, and not having the SD card in at all solves my problem. The instant I install Google Music and play any MP3s, Media or Media Server because a huge pig. The files are stored on internal, and nothing on my SD card

I have a feeling it's a corrupt MP3 file.

I ran into Media Server running nonstop, killing my battery life. I did a quick search and ran across something that mentioned Google Now is a pig. You can shut it off when not using it by going into Google Now>Settings>set slider to off. I installed it a couple days ago and my battery was getting sucked dry pretty quick in half a day. I will turn it on when I need to see traffic levels on my to/from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    I ran into Media Server running nonstop, killing my battery life. I did a quick search and ran across something that mentioned Google Now is a pig. You can shut it off when not using it by going into Google Now>Settings>set slider to off. I installed it a couple days ago and my battery was getting sucked dry pretty quick in half a day. I will turn it on when I need to see traffic levels on my to/from work.
    I'm going to try that next.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ytsejamer1 View Post
    Nice avatar. Been a fan since I&W.

There an app you can use if you're rooted called "Kill Media Server". Just Google "kill media server apk" and install the it. Run it every time you boot your phone.
    Thanked by:

Just gave this a shot and it crashes when you tell it to kill:

[DEV][UTIL]App to Kill the Mediaserver - xda-developers

Right on mikejwf...been a fan right around that time as well.

As for media server....my battery life improved a little bit, but Media Server is still running more than it should. This has occurred after I did a factory reset so I'm not sure what is causing it to go nuts all of a sudden. Guess I'll try removing my sdcard...which should have absolutely zero bearing on anything.
    Thanked by:

Grody....

Im seeing android system sometimes drain some unnecessary battery. Anybody also seeing this?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

also 3g is draining my battery more than it should. like i browse the internet for a minute and like already 1% is gone.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by zeraworld View Post
    also 3g is draining my battery more than it should. like i browse the internet for a minute and like already 1% is gone.
    If you have a weak connection on 3g it can be the biggest drain of all and be completely normal. What I mean is that it's perfectly normal to have extreme battery drain on a poor connection.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Id like to add a follow up to my battery drain issue.
    Before the update i had an app called Network Signal Info.
    It had a 2x1 widget that would tel me info about my network.
    Turns out prior to JB update the widget had very little battery drain. After the update significant drain.
    I accidently found this out when i put my device into airplane mode. That aparently deactivates the widget.
    Well while i was using my EVO LTE i did some playing around. My device with the widget was at 7-10% CPU usage constantly when the unit was in stand by mode. Removed the widget and its back to its normal 3% CPU Usage..
    I used SystemPanel Pro to determine my CPU usage.
    Using SystemPanel i still see CPU at about 50-75% usage for a time of 30-45 minutes on every start up.
    This is also about the same amount of time that Media uses when i check it under Battery. Once that stops it goes right back into a low CPU usage in stand by..

SOOO if anybody is using Network Signal Info as a widget on their GS3 and noticing battery drain. Remove the widget and test it for a few days..

Well...yesterday or the day before, the drain via Media Server finally ceased. I also unchecked the location awareness setting in Maps...which somehow had become checked. Anyways...I went about 13 hours and only lost 11% battery charge...which was exactly what I was getting before my factory reset. I never removed the sdcard at all...just kept everything the same. Maybe it took a week or so to go through my sdcard (only has a few oddball apks that I sideload, some camera pictures, and my custom ringtone/notification sound folder structure with about ten MP3s) and finish indexing those items or something.

I'm using about 1Gb of the 32gb card thus far. I remember reading a few days ago on XDA that the process is normal and will clean itself up on its own. One thing to alleviate additional scanning time is getting excess Nandroid backups off the "sdcard" or "extSdcard". Typically those backups contain a ton of files and that was mentioned to increase the time that the process took to index all the files.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast