Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain

3g drained my battery really quickly even with full bars. and if i have 3g on in standby the battery would also drain quickly. i was never comfortable leaving my 3g on cuz of this

I'm three days out following the 4.1.1 update here in Australia and I'm encountering a similar issue to everyone else here. I've followed a lot of the tips and tricks except for backing up, doing a factory reset but by way of a test, it took me 13 hours and 36 minutes to fully discharge my battery with what I would call average to moderate use (some access to wifi and data) media playing). I'm pretty sure that, that is worse than ICS but I'll persevere for a few more days to see if my sgs3 settles down as some posters describe it, then I'll consider the factory reset option. Just a query on this - my device is rooted. Will I have to re-root following the factory reset? I'm guessing yes but since I'm a amateur, I would be remiss if I didn't ask.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

So you did the update then rooted? If so then no you will not have to re root. If you use my backup pro or something similar than restoring will be painless

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

I was gonna go for a backup via Kies. That shouldn't be a problem should it?

Well, I went for the factory reset option and included a wipe of my SD card for good measure.

The back up via Kies seemed to be a waste of time because it didn't actually work. Fortunately, I rarely save anything locally anymore so that wasn't an issue. Just retrieved my apps from the store and I was fine.

I have not noticed a discernible difference in battery life since flashing. On a mild to moderate usage, I'm managing around 14 hours between charges and I'm still noticing a very quick drop from 100 to 90% within the first half an hour off charge.

Don't know if I want to go back to ICS at this stage. The factory reset here and now was annoying enough. I hope that there'll be an improvement with a subsequent update.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

My solution to battery drain.

First do your tests while you are sleeping. Charge battery to full and take off charge as you go to bed ie. let phone go off charge at 12am that way you know at 8am or 10 am when you wake up exactly how many hours it's been going for.

My phone is probably at around 95% on standby after 8 hours.

Here's how I got it there.

settings\wifi\advanced keep wifi on during sleep change to only when on charge, (actually I noticed this was set to always and I've gotten 36 hours out of my phone so far with 40% remaining.

Turn email checking to 1 hour instead of 15 mins.

settings\applications manager \running. stop all processes you don't use and disable them. after that go to all and get rid of the remaining services.

What I disabled after a fresh factory reset.

chaton, dropbox, google play books, google play movies, google+, lumines dots, music hub, s memo, s planner, s planner widget, samusng backup provider, samsung browser sync adapter,
    samsung calendar sync, samsung cloud data relay, samsung contact sync, samsung push service, samsung smemo sync, samsung syncadapters, talk, video hub, windy weather, yahoo finance and yahoo news.

I am never gonna use this so why run it?

seriously guys I am now getting the battery life I reckon the phone should get. I use my phone in moderation only using it every now and then to check texts and perhaps take a photo and a quick 2 min phone call here and there.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by SilverrFoxxx View Post
    My solution to battery drain.

First do your tests while you are sleeping. Charge battery to full and take off charge as you go to bed ie. let phone go off charge at 12am that way you know at 8am or 10 am when you wake up exactly how many hours it's been going for.

My phone is probably at around 95% on standby after 8 hours.

Here's how I got it there.

settings\wifi\advanced keep wifi on during sleep change to only when on charge, (actually I noticed this was set to always and I've gotten 36 hours out of my phone so far with 40% remaining.

Turn email checking to 1 hour instead of 15 mins.

settings\applications manager \running. stop all processes you don't use and disable them. after that go to all and get rid of the remaining services.

What I disabled after a fresh factory reset.

chaton, dropbox, google play books, google play movies, google+, lumines dots, music hub, s memo, s planner, s planner widget, samusng backup provider, samsung browser sync adapter,
    samsung calendar sync, samsung cloud data relay, samsung contact sync, samsung push service, samsung smemo sync, samsung syncadapters, talk, video hub, windy weather, yahoo finance and yahoo news.

I am never gonna use this so why run it?

seriously guys I am now getting the battery life I reckon the phone should get. I use my phone in moderation only using it every now and then to check texts and perhaps take a photo and a quick 2 min phone call here and there.
    So do you keep the wifi to always on or only while charging, for you every day use?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Thinking about it I think it's better to have it always on, because technically it would be using 3g or 4g if you didn't have it set to always on and from my understanding that would use more battery. I must point out that the only thing I have disabled is bluetooth as well. Checked the phone this morning at the 48 hour mark and was still at 27%.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverrFoxxx View Post
    Thinking about it I think it's better to have it always on, because technically it would be using 3g or 4g if you didn't have it set to always on and from my understanding that would use more battery. I must point out that the only thing I have disabled is bluetooth as well. Checked the phone this morning at the 48 hour mark and was still at 27%.
    48 hrs of idling right??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    48 hrs of idling right??

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Actually there was a little bit of use on web etc but nothing major, perhaps a text here and there. But yea pretty much idle.

Hi everyone, My S3 seems to be using a lot of its battery while idle. It goes from 100% when I go to bed down to 60ish%. It never used to go this quickly, can anybody help?
    It says that cell standby is using the most battery but when I tried flight mode it was similar battery drain. I'm running 4.1.2 on in Ireland
    Last edited by Tomas Harrington; 01-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Man of La Mancha

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

quick question, how do you disable alot of those apps mentioned? I can for some of them, but the google books, movies, google plus etc...oye, its a pain.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Most of them you need to root to get rid of

Apologies, I didn't mean to post that four times!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Something is waking your phone then if airplane mode didn't help

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by coachpelkey View Post
    quick question, how do you disable alot of those apps mentioned? I can for some of them, but the google books, movies, google plus etc...oye, its a pain.
    Titanium backup pro.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Yea, under battery it shows it's being kept awake. Any idea what it could be?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

More than likely an app you installed since the stock ones aren't supposed to keep it up like that

I think I've cracked it! I disabled some Samsung applications, uninstalled App Lock and removed my Hotmail account. I haven't charged to 100% and left overnight yet but during the day battery drain was significantly less. Thanks for your help!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Sounds like maybe Hotmail was polling too often and killing things but that is jut a guess

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

is there any other way to stop media from draining my battery. one of the ways was to remove the sd card, but i need it and dont want to. ill post up a screenshot of the problem.

Usually my S3 battery drain in 2-3 days. But, I disabled Gmail aplication, and I deleted my accounts in Email application. Now I have 45% battery remaining, charged 4 days and 6 hours ago. I think that is the probblem. If you want to use your email adress try to use just one program, and fewer email adresses will lead to fewer power consumption. Depends on email application you can customize how offen the application will try (in background) to syncronize the email.

And if this worked for you please help the others and post this on other sites!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Sergiu Ioan Cojocaru; 01-28-2013 at 06:38 AM.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

This is media draining my battery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain-screenshot_2013-01-30-07-44-53.png   Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain-screenshot_2013-01-31-19-05-25.png   Sprint galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain-screenshot_2013-01-29-07-27-10.png  

ROM
    WOLFPACK V3.3

Do u have power save on!? Helps alot! I've gotten 21 hrs using moderately!

Galaxy S3........

Try unmounting and removing the SD card, and then reinserting it. I seem to recall reading somewhere that might resolve this issue.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast