Sprint isn't worth the money (Rant Forewarned)

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have an employee discount through BofA and I decided to switch over to sprint because I wanted to try out the unlimited plan. I was told 30 days don't like it tell us we will let you go no ETF. I go to the same place where I bought the phone and it's 14 days not 30. So not only was I lied to, Now I am stuck for 2 years of the worst service available. The LTE is probably 0.5% rolled out across the country. I have yet to be able to put 1 GB of data on the phone because the service is so bad. with AT&T I was putting around 3-4GB every month. now I can't watch youtube videos unless I drive around and test all the signal strength so it wont buffer and load every 20 seconds of the video. Pandora won't even work lol guess the signal is just that bad. I roam in my apartments, at work I have full service, but post speeds of 3kbps DOWN and 11kbps UP. The average 4 minute songs ranges from 3000-5000kb. so I used 4000 and tested my speeds. 4000/3kbps (speedtest results) = 1333.33 = 22.22 Minutes to load a youtube video. But half the time The video won't load probably due to the fact that the service is so inconsistant it would end up taking 4-5 hours to play the video if you could even get youtube to pull up. I would be way happier paying more money for real service. We'll see long this "2 years" last. as soon as tax return season comes around... bye bye sprint. They don't deserve the chance of waiting and more games and gimicks why wait when you can have the service you want now. anyways I'm done, I'm just frustrated with how I can't do anything on my phone. It's like having a Cadillac CTS-V (sorry my favorite car) and swapping out the motor with a Prius. My phone looks nice, but works like 1995.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint site states 14 days. The link can be found here. Some places do allow for longer return periods without an ETF. Out here in CA, we are given 30 days, but to be safe I would generally go straight to the horse's mouth and check with the carrier. Perhaps going through Sprint corporate would give you more favorable results. You can also try running up your data/calls while in roaming areas. Anything over 300MB/800 Minutes in a month period, while roaming, and Sprint will send out a letter asking you to kindly leave. It will break the contract and you can get out without an ETF. It may take a few months, but that solution generally works. Plus you'll have gotten the phone at a discounted rate since you don't have to return it. Good luck.

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I know all of this, Except I really need to find a place where I roam constantly, and just watch youtube. although this method is most preferred. It's very time consuming and generally takes more than one or two months for Sprint to notify you and cancel. It's not a one month and you're out, kind of deal.

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
Try out T-Mobile. My friend lives out in Dallas and he loves the service out there. With the merging with Metro PCS in Dallas it's gonna be even better.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know all of this, Except I really need to find a place where I roam constantly, and just watch youtube. although this method is most preferred. It's very time consuming and generally takes more than one or two months for Sprint to notify you and cancel. It's not a one month and you're out, kind of deal.

I wouldn't be so sure.. We recently had a Sprint user on these forums get the boot for roaming and using a ton of data. I will find the thread if needed.

It just sounds like your area is horrible. I can pull 4+ GB usually a month on my 3g. I am at 2.6 I think right now but that's because my work recently got the wifi up and running again.

Can't say I blame you though.. If my service was that bad I would be gone as well. In Jacksonville though while it's definitely not ideal.. I can still stream music, watch YouTube (letting it buffer 30 seconds), and even watch Netflix with letting it buffer at the beginning. If I couldn't even stream music like your saying you can't... I'd be forced to switch because I would go insane.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't let me edit my post to add the picture... But yeah 2.6 GB is what I'm at currently.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352307845689.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352307845689.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 182

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i've read on mulitple forums about people who roam and consume data only to get their service cancelled.

If you know you can roam at a certain area, just leave your phone on streaming youtube and pandora.

30glock

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Roam Control..Force roam all day. Currently waiting on my letter to freedom and LTE..

Rooted with Roam Control. Support for rooted Sprint GS3 was added in version 2.4.1

New version is out..

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow if I knew about this roaming policy they have I would have done this years ago I've been stuck with Sprint for 2 year because I get 25% discount and I Atleast had Wimax on my phone but now that I'm up for a upgrade I know LTE is no where close I live in the smallest state and I know were not on the radar I called customer service and they said LTE will be on by fall of 2013 I'm saying goodbye to sprint and going to at&t

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've always wondered.. How much does Sprint charge for one?

My friend told me that he called up Sprint complaining that he got little to no service in his house and was roaming a lot. And Sprint sent him one FREE OF CHARGE!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Location Location Location.
Im in Dallas, on Sprint with my GS3. I can go from down town dallas (residence) to north east dallas (work) about a 20 minute drive while streaming pandora with no issues.
I can do the same on the return trip, which due to traffic i take an alternate route usually. Dallas LTE build out is still far from over but while on 3G i still get to stream pandora.
As far as roaming at your apartment. You should have noticed that day 1. So as a good consumer why did you not address this sooner. 14 days or 30 days.. You should have known you were roaming the 1st day you got home and used your device.. Why did you leave ATT in the first place is you were happy getting your 3-4 gigs a month?
Sounds like you didnt do your homework as a consumer then instead of taking responsibility your blaming someone else, spirnt in this case for your problems.

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had sprint for 15 years now. I am in a remote area and have good signal. Anytime I want to change something they check my plan and my area and advice me I could have compromised service here. But my signal has been fine for years. I travel extensively and very seldom have had a complaint with service. I also am on a sero employee account and no other carrier can come even close to what I pay. In short, you couldn't pry my Sprint service away from me from my dead cold hands!

FreddyFredFred

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've always wondered.. How much does Sprint charge for one?

Well, I got one of the older ones. I've had it for almost 3 years. It cost me $100 and I have to pay $5/mo for the service.
When it quit working about a year ago, they said they would send me the newer one and the monthly fee would stop. Low and behold, they sent me the same one I had and it still costs $5/mo.
So, I'm probably not much help on the cost of one today.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you complain that you don't get a signal or that you have a poor signal, they will let you have the airave for free.

That sounds good. I get a good connection around town but I am LUCKY for 2 bars at my house since I'm more in the "woods".

FreddyFredFred

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
They sure wouldn't let me 'have' one. I argued and argued.
The 'poor signal' argument didn't work because the only reason you need it is if you have a poor signal. "If you had good signal, you wouldn't buy it".
I threatened to leave, sent me to retentions, still had to pay. Had been a customer for about 5 yrs at the time.
And, it was because I had moved. I had a great signal at my old house.