Sprint isn't worth the money (Rant Forewarned)

MercuryNine

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Well I get LTE in the house and my area I easily go over a GB in a day I don't even connect to my WiFi my LTE IS faster in the house. Love sprint and been with them for 10yrs. Other carriers are not feasible for me. Especially tmobiles limited coverage outside of big cities.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah give lte time in Chicago guys I'm out west and if I can pull down 10mb on wimax I KNOW lte is gonna do better besides I'll take unlimited 10 than capped 40

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ahh the dropped calls.. Yep that is a product of the switching and testing of the equipment. It has to do with the handoff of signals from the older equipment to the newer equipment. As they get further along in the upgrade this will become less of an issue.

If it gets too bad don't be shy about calling Sprint. They were very good to most that called in to complain in the Chicago market and gave out billing credits/discounts.

Yep, that's exactly right. In fact, they even gave me $100 in credits when my air card slowed significantly. I don't know about anyone else's experience with Sprint Customer Service, but mine has always been good. They have always shown a willingness to help. We had some REAL problems in Chicago. There are well over 300 towers here. According to Sprint's map, the entire city and suburbs should be up and running right now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's exactly right. In fact, they even gave me $100 in credits when my air card slowed significantly. I don't know about anyone else's experience with Sprint Customer Service, but mine has always been good. They have always shown a willingness to help. We had some REAL problems in Chicago. There are well over 300 towers here. According to Sprint's map, the entire city and suburbs should be up and running right now.

I talked with Sprint online about the AirRave. They told me ill have to call (but noted my account about our conversation) but they are pretty sure I'll get for free.. I am shocked as this is my first interactions with them. I just explained my concerns while I'm at the house since I get good service in Jacksonville but where my house is i get one bar usually and experience issued with texts and calls. I am happy to know ill most likely get it for free.. I will follow up here once I call them about it.. But from how the online chat went I think it'll be good. :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Sprint is set, even after posting losses of subscribers. Sprint will be bigger? maybe if you add the subscribers from the two carriers combined. which is really a refelction for Softbank not Sprint. And across the world it would only be the 3rd largest still trailing Verizon and some other China Company.. as far as the United States it doesn't help their chances maybe they can roll out more of their network but still would be trailing Verizon and AT&T in coverage.

"On October 14, 2012, it was announced that the Japanese telecommunications company SoftBank will purchase 70% of Sprint Nextel Corporation for $20.1 billion.[1] SoftBank says Sprint will remain a separate entity and it will not switch Sprint from CDMA to GSM and will continue their plans to make Sprint an all-LTE carrier by 2017.[11] The deal is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2013"

Well SoftBank/Sprint must have somebody nervous because it's kinda strange that all of a sudden one of the other Guys has reported that they plan on putting some money into their LTE and guess what dollar amount??? LOL.....Yep, $8 Billion......Why that number??? LOL

Yet Son hates the very idea of running third-best to anyone else. He explained the buy to CNBC's Jim Cramer like this: "I am a man, and every man wants to be No. 1, not No. 2 or No. 3."
For one, Son thinks that data networking is the most important feature of any mobile service. Softbank derives two-thirds of its revenue from data plans, which is about twice as much as American networks. Voice and texting plans simply don't matter much to him.

This is a fairly revolutionary idea in the American market, where data is seen as just another service to sell alongside equally important voice and text plans. If Son can mold Sprint in Softbank's image, we'll have a genuinely new option on the local market.

It's easy to shrug at claims like that, assuming that the guy is out of his mind. But Softbank was in fact the first Japanese network to sell Apple's iPhones, so the Jobs connection is no fairy tale. And Sprint may lag behind the dynamic duo at the top, but it does own a solid nationwide network with deep connections to another one from Clearwire. The company is in position to do something very interesting here, and Masayoshi Son might just be the right man for the job.

Finally, nobody ever became a self-made billionaire and owner of Japan's fastest-growing cell service by placing wild bets on imaginary opportunities. But whatever it is, I'm guessing we'll see rock-bottom pricing on a data-based service bundle that enables his top-secret sauce.

The American wireless market is about to get a well-deserved kick in the pants.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Why are you looking at the Sprint map instead of the Sensorly map. It will give you a better idea of LTE coverage in the Dallas area. Sensorly.com and selct Sprint 4G

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

"Color intensity indicates the expected level of the signal received by the phone: very dark for 5 bars, very bright for 1 bar"

According to this I don't have 2G, 3G or 4G.
Riding in the car the other night with fam, EVERYONE was connected to something; be it FB, Twiiter....you name it. I couldn't connect to a damn thing.
Makes me feel like a fool having the Note 2 on Sprint's network. I'd be better off with 2 cans and a string.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well SoftBank/Sprint must have somebody nervous because it's kinda strange that all of a sudden one of the other Guys has reported that they plan on putting some money into their LTE and guess what dollar amount??? LOL.....Yep, $8 Billion......Why that number??? LOL

Yet Son hates the very idea of running third-best to anyone else. He explained the buy to CNBC's Jim Cramer like this: "I am a man, and every man wants to be No. 1, not No. 2 or No. 3."
For one, Son thinks that data networking is the most important feature of any mobile service. Softbank derives two-thirds of its revenue from data plans, which is about twice as much as American networks. Voice and texting plans simply don't matter much to him.

This is a fairly revolutionary idea in the American market, where data is seen as just another service to sell alongside equally important voice and text plans. If Son can mold Sprint in Softbank's image, we'll have a genuinely new option on the local market.

It's easy to shrug at claims like that, assuming that the guy is out of his mind. But Softbank was in fact the first Japanese network to sell Apple's iPhones, so the Jobs connection is no fairy tale. And Sprint may lag behind the dynamic duo at the top, but it does own a solid nationwide network with deep connections to another one from Clearwire. The company is in position to do something very interesting here, and Masayoshi Son might just be the right man for the job.

Finally, nobody ever became a self-made billionaire and owner of Japan's fastest-growing cell service by placing wild bets on imaginary opportunities. But whatever it is, I'm guessing we'll see rock-bottom pricing on a data-based service bundle that enables his top-secret sauce.

The American wireless market is about to get a well-deserved kick in the pants.

I'll believe it when I see it

Sent from my PC36100

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
"Color intensity indicates the expected level of the signal received by the phone: very dark for 5 bars, very bright for 1 bar"

According to this I don't have 2G, 3G or 4G.
Riding in the car the other night with fam, EVERYONE was connected to something; be it FB, Twiiter....you name it. I couldn't connect to a damn thing.
Makes me feel like a fool having the Note 2 on Sprint's network. I'd be better off with 2 cans and a string.

So switch?

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Bars on your phone have nothing to do with the LTE or WiMax or any Data single, those bars are for Voice and really aren't there for an exact or really to be used to a def result. That Sensorly .com site really is only showing the Interstates and I'm around 100 feet from one in back of my house on the other side of my pool and shows i have or shouldn't have service but I do.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The Bars on your phone have nothing to do with the LTE or WiMax or any Data single, those bars are for Voice and really aren't there for an exact or really to be used to a def result. That Sensorly .com site really is only showing the Interstates and I'm around 100 feet from one in back of my house on the other side of my pool and shows i have or shouldn't have service but I do.

Sensorly is crowd-sourced. Coverage shows up on the interstates because lots of people map their signal while driving on the interstate. If you want it to show the signal by your house, install the Sensorly app, and submit the data yourself.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow why didn't I think of that.... :rolleyes:

No clue but some people just have to be told by someone like me I guess :rolleyes:

I didn't like when I had att and they started to throttle.. Did I run to forums and rant? Nope.. Switched. Easy as that. Sure most won't want to pay an ETF but a contract is a contract... At least with Sprint you can force roam and they will boot you so no ETF.

Also in this day and age finding information is a Google click away.. If you research you know Sprints network is definitely not the best.. So researching how it is in your area before buying is the smart thing to do.. I have family with Sprint so I knew we had pretty good coverage and ok enough data to stream music and I can even stream Netflix as long as I let it buffer for 45 seconds at the start..

All these issues can be avoided by simply researching and not running out and impulse buying and then wondering why you got what you got.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I've always wondered.. How much does Sprint charge for one?

Nothing if you complain enough about bad service at your home. Not even a monthly fee. You do have to return it when you are done however. But if you demand one without their tech support offering you one, it is like $99 for the device and $20 pr month..... Or be like me. Say that you are going to leave Sprint because of bad service in the #1 place you use the cell, at home. They will send you to account services (retention) who can offer you one at no cost but calls going over it are not unlimited. They come out of your monthly minutes. Now if you forked over the cash for the device and pay extra each month you do get unlimited calling while connected to the airave.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

Deputy Dog

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Sprint, at home I used to get 2 to 3 bars depending on the phone but 6 months ago it went in the hopper 0 bars and roaming(about the time they started upgrading the towers in my area(35 miles west of Philly) any hoo sprint is sending out an Air rave no questions or hassle. A+ from me!

I talked with Sprint online about the AirRave. They told me ill have to call (but noted my account about our conversation) but they are pretty sure I'll get for free.. I am shocked as this is my first interactions with them. I just explained my concerns while I'm at the house since I get good service in Jacksonville but where my house is i get one bar usually and experience issued with texts and calls. I am happy to know ill most likely get it for free.. I will follow up here once I call them about it.. But from how the online chat went I think it'll be good. :)

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to threaten anyone at Sprint to get an Airrave; it's not that serious. They've been passing these things out like candy for years. All you have to do is call them and talk sensibly explaining your service has degraded.

praveen813

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
sprint 3g speeds in Metairie, Louisiana outside new Orleans with good service.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355555275463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355555275463.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 44

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power