JB battery!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey Skunk, do you have an idea what 'media server' exactly is?? Is it an app(s) searching for data or something like that or something else completely?? My daily routine is, I wake up with 100% battery life, have my 'music player' on the whole way to work and when I get to work, I usually have 98% battery life. Today when I get to work, I notice I have 92%!! I check battery stats and lo and behold, 'media server' is there at 12%. WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!?!?! I'm starting to think its a rogue app that periodically drains battery life. Some more so than others!

Same here but I don't listen to music on my phone. I use the Moto Command One BT headset for calls and for some reason it uses BT share and it shouldn't. Just that process alone cuts my batt life in half. If I kill the process, I get better batt life but as soon as I make/receive a call, it turns itself back on. And like you, at times for no reason, my batt life will drain fast. Really fast. And the culprit is.....wait for it.....Media Server. It pop on at random with no rhyme or reason and kills my batt life to almost hideous and ridiculous levels. So far, going into settings and killing the process helps but it's getting annoying.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You are also getting pretty good battery. I have less than 2 hours screen time and less than 10 hours on my phone and am at 15% remaining.

Yeah I guess. Lol. I think I'm just basing it off ICS. Android system and os are always super high now compared to before I was on jelly bean. Battery is still good though I guess

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I guess. Lol. I think I'm just basing it off ICS. Android system and os are always super high now compared to before I was on jelly bean. Battery is still good though I guess

You have to realize with each major update the os and system and add ons use more system resources. This is no different than your computer. As more advanced software comes out, your system requirements also change sometimes requiring hardware updates to run the new software.

You want advancement in the software but need to realize sometimes these advancements may put more stress on your hardware. While it may seem like something minor for a device connected to a power outlet. When you are relying on battery power any additional stress on the hardware effects battery performance.

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
My JB update came today at 11. After update I had 75%. At 2pm I got down to 20% with about 15 min of usage.

- - - Updated - - -

My JB update came today at 11. After update I had 75%. At 2pm I got down to 20% with about 15 min of usage.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You have to realize with each major update the os and system and add ons use more system resources. This is no different than your computer. As more advanced software comes out, your system requirements also change sometimes requiring hardware updates to run the new software.

You want advancement in the software but need to realize sometimes these advancements may put more stress on your hardware. While it may seem like something minor for a device connected to a power outlet. When you are relying on battery power any additional stress on the hardware effects battery performance.

True. Guess I never thought of it that way. Thought it was like another problem like gsiff_daemon. But yeah. That makes sense. Thanks skunk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Join the club and happy reading! :)

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
This is after 20 min on standby. It lookd like it never goed to sleep mode.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352583860573.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352583860573.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Try removing your battery for a minute and then reboot. Sometimes you get a rogue program that just needs to shut down.

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
No result after battery removal. Media (whatever that is ) kills battery from 100 to 53 in 2.5 hrs with phone not being touched. Phone is unusable .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprint wanted to be the first in US with JB update but they dropped the ball.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I reset me device, nothing.

I reformatted the SD card, works some.

I removed my music, formatted my card, and did a hard reset.

OMG! My battery lasts 30+ hours now, 4 hours of screen time, no auto brightness used. No media battery drain.

I am convinced that after each major update, these need to be reformatted.

Look at it this way: When a website like legitreviews.com review a new grafix card for a PC, they do a complete reset. They never leave old drivers in place, and just add software. Each time anything is changed, they reformat.

These phones are just PC's now. When you do a major software over haul, some program is bound to not work right. I reinstalled ALL of my previous apps. Any game saves, I just have to re earn them. besides, anything can be backed up to an SD card.

If your battery life sucks, do it! Hard rest, start over, you will enjoy it. I am not so sure why I was so freaked out about a reformat. I reformat my PC every 6 months, so I will now treat my phone like the PC it is.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

This is a well known issue with the update. Take your media files, and your pics, that kind of stuff. In one of those .andoid type folders, is a file that corrupted with jelly bean. Reformatting the SD card helps.

jacksonista

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of horrendous, not well tested OS rollouts. I ate it with my SII when I went from GB to ICS. From 30+ hours to 4 or less, with everything turned off. Sprint never fixed anything. I had to turn things off, install Juice Defender, etc. While battery life on my kids phone is now better, it still stinks. Now they keep hassling me to install JB on my ICS SIII phone, I keep saying no. Wish they would leave me be with my ICS. My phone rocks and it seems like samsung and Spring just want to mess me over, again, with my new phone. I'm very sick of it. I say, if you tell the upgrade "no", it should stay that way and you should be left alone with the OS you like. I am bothered constantly with notices to upgrade to JB and I feel like they keep doing it until you screw up and say "yes". Disgusting.

jacksonista

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
They dropped the ball with ICS from GB too. Sick and tired of poor roll-outs. They need to stop, people pay as much for these phones as they do laptops. This kind of stuff is for crap.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Did you restart your phone after the update? Even so, let your battery run all the way down, then charge it for an hour or so past indicating full. Do this a couple of times to condition the battery. Actually, this should be done with every new battery to "condition" it.

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Did you restart your phone after the update? Even so, let your battery run all the way down, then charge it for an hour or so past indicating full. Do this a couple of times to condition the battery. Actually, this should be done with every new battery to "condition" it.

I restarted a few times with battery out, recalibrated battery,
Nothing worked. Then I just took the SD card out. Batt life improved. I do not how much it improved yet. Media is not the biggest consumer anymore.

vz3j84

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery life improved a lot after reformatting the sd card. I think it is better than ICS.